coolhandfluke

can anyone honestly say they caught and cooked skate ?

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

or skate wing I should say or even the Italian flounder and liked it ?      not going to a restaurant and  liked it, but actually catching it , putting on ice, cooked it in your kitchen and enjoyed it ?

if so, what is the process of catching them ?    right now the south jersey reefs are loaded with them on the bottom and we have talked about doing it but have yet to try it.

they by far out number keeper fluke.

looking for the proper way and we will try it this weekend. sure I can look on you tube, but with the amount of people on here, would like a first hand account.

Edited by coolhandfluke

I bought it at a fish market once to see what it was like. Kind of like a stringy flounder. It wasn't bad at all. I don't bait fish so never catch them.

Just now, Reed422 said:

I bought it at a fish market once to see what it was like. Kind of like a stringy flounder. It wasn't bad at all. I don't bait fish so never catch them.

caught them on squid, minnow,flounder belly and gulp.

Yea I’ve had . I caught and cleaned and friend of mine who’s a chef in some fancy nyc joint cooked .. all he did was cook in browned butter constantly spoon the sizzling butter over it in pan ...  was very good .. 

It's loaded with them here, catch them chunking on the bottom.

It's so easy, Eebs can do it.

We've talked about eating them, but never did it.

eebsskate.JPG

mrs. rocco brought it home from the fish market one time :squid:

it was good and like reed described. after that i looked into it a bit, but i rarely catch them anyway.

i think you need to get them cleaned and on ice right away to preserve the quality of the flesh. you may need to watch the species too, as with some sharks i think some species piss through their skin and you can end up with flays marinated in ammonia :upck: 

I think if you put any bait on the bottom and pretend your targeting any species other than skate, you'll catch plenty of them. 

Was trying to find a video of Julia Child cooking skate but I guess you need to be a member of PBS to watch it. Anyway, from what I recall she just cooked the wing whole, didn't take the skin or fillet it. I might be wrong I forget. I think there's a way to rip the skin off with pliers as well. If you can just cook a wing whole that would be pretty damn easy. But like Rocco said if they piss through their skin I'd want that skin OFF.

We shoot them from time to time with a bow...the kind matters. The little butterfly skates are delicious. The big skates have meat the texture of elbow macaroni and it’s hard to get past the texture. 

I have. PITA to clean and not worth the effort. I will buy from a monger if the smell ammonia free and They are prepped already.