Jdeadman66

Ford Excursion V-10

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I’m looking into maybe buying one of these as a weekend use family truck. We are a family of 5 but may also travel with the kids grandparents. For camping and adventures. Do any of you own one or have any experience with them? They any good?

3 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

Suburban 

Close thread

I’m keeping my eyes open on those also. The Excursion has good reviews and is bigger than the suburban.

Suburban with a 327 small block. Plenty of power and much better gas mileage that the Excursion with a V-10.

39 mins ago, redfishkiller said:

Suburban 

Close thread

:howdy:

As a road-trip-mobile, and as a camping wagon, they our without peer.

And you can get one that gets decent gas mileage, at least for such a big vehicle. Mine (2005 1500) gets 18-ish mpg in combined city/highway driving. We've fit four humans, three hounds, three bikes, and all the camping gear in one vehicle -- it's that good.

I'l add one thing, only because you mentioned the V-10:

When I got are first Suburban, Houndmobile I, at the suggestion of some guys in the buggy forum here -- :dismay: -- I got the 2500. It's got a much bigger engine, and I figgered that it'd be a better fit for us.

But there was a problem: I assumed it was bigger on the inside than the 1500, but it's not: they have the same interior; the 2500 just has a bigger engine (8.1 liter, IIRC). It did have loads of power, but it came at a huge expense: it got 8 miles a gallon. The thing guzzled gas the way that Wayne guzzled turnpike rest-stop dicks.

When I had to replace it, I got basically the same vehicle, but a 1500. True, it doesn't have the same power, but it gets more than double the gas mileage. There's a noticeable difference in my gas bills, and the 1500 does everything I ask of it: they both have 4WD, and the 1500 is more than adequately powered. And the 1500 is easier to drive (the hood is smaller, because, duh, the engine is smaller).

If you don't tow a 14,000-pound boat, there's no reason for such an enormous engine.

The diesel will run forever. The problem with a lot of them, like so many other Ford's is body rust. Those excursions get it in all the same places the Ford pickups get it. 

Sadly, it's gonna be what kills my 96 F150 4.9L. Just replaced the leaf spring hangers, shackles and bushings. Gotta do the front spring mounts next. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have the 2001 Excursion XLT v-10 6.8L as a weekend/family roadtrip/fishing roadtrip vehicle and I friggin love it. It doesn't get driven much so we shouldn't have many issues. We bought it used and sent it to an auto shop to be looked over. Ended up spending about $2000 and it was well worth it. Great for kayak trips as well. I've gotta look into a rod holder and kayak rack for it. Her name is Beatrice.

IMG_2084.JPG.8f6ac1443c58669eec07bf231674269c.JPG

Edited by lonellr

1 hour ago, Belmo said:

I'l add one thing, only because you mentioned the V-10:

When I got are first Suburban, Houndmobile I, at the suggestion of some guys in the buggy forum here -- :dismay: -- I got the 2500. It's got a much bigger engine, and I figgered that it'd be a better fit for us.

But there was a problem: I assumed it was bigger on the inside than the 1500, but it's not: they have the same interior; the 2500 just has a bigger engine (8.1 liter, IIRC). It did have loads of power, but it came at a huge expense: it got 8 miles a gallon. The thing guzzled gas the way that Wayne guzzled turnpike rest-stop dicks.

When I had to replace it, I got basically the same vehicle, but a 1500. True, it doesn't have the same power, but it gets more than double the gas mileage. There's a noticeable difference in my gas bills, and the 1500 does everything I ask of it: they both have 4WD, and the 1500 is more than adequately powered. And the 1500 is easier to drive (the hood is smaller, because, duh, the engine is smaller).

If you don't tow a 14,000-pound boat, there's no reason for such an enormous engine.

:snr: