jjdbike

Chest Freezers: Advice please?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I have an issue that most likley needs to be solved.

I have a small chest freezer. Most likley less than 10' capacity. Exterior dimesnions are 34" tall, 21.5 deep and 27" wide. It was the cheapes one they had in stock at Kmart about 10 years ago. I keep it in my basement. I access it two or three times a week. I like to cook in quantity, portoion it out and have a varity of thing ready to go. I also do several freezer filling fishing trips a year. We eat a good deal of fish. 

Here's my issue. Seeing that it was cheapest I could find, I have no idea how long I can expect this to last. If it failed & we weren't aware of it, it would be really aweful! Also, it is at capacity most of the time which makes finding things challanging. Recently I had a great outting that pushed it even closer to capacity and have another similar trip in a couple weeks. I eaither need to replace the 10 yr old small one that I have with a larger model or add another small one. This way, I would keep one specifilly for fish. The down side of the two freezer soultion that I see is it would take up more valuable space in basement (I don't have much excess space), and probably use more electricity. The upsides would be that it would be a cheaper purchase & if one failed, I would have a back up.

If I got one larger model, It would be more convienent to have dividers / compartnets etc, as a way to keep food more organised, This would allow faster access and less time with lip open. 

One wild card here, I'm in an area that is somewhat prone to power outtages. I do have a gas generaotor, but that's only helpful if I'm home at thet times (as opposed to traveling visiting grand kids).

Also, since it's in basement, it doesn't need to be "pretty". I'm open to scratch and dents, ugly colors etc.. I need to keep expendature as low as possible, while being practicle. I don't want to be penny wise and dollar foolish as I've been prone to in the past.

What advice or suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance!

JD

3 mins ago, jjdbike said:

If it failed & we weren't aware of it, it would be really aweful!

We just bought a GE it has a low temperature  alarm , make sure it has one.

1 hour ago, AlwaysWading said:

Why would you want that?    Personally, if it was one or the other, I would want a high temp alarm.

When I wanted a freezer a bunch of years back, I thought I would get a small chest freezer. So  I started checking criagslist a couple of times a day for a few days and lo and behold, I ended up with a much larger upright model in new condition for a hundred bucks. They just wanted it out quick due to a move. It was over 600 new. My advise would be take sometime and do the same, but be open to different types of models and when you see something that looks good be very quick to contact the owner and to get there as  quick as possible, as a same day response is the best way.

18 mins ago, Seakarp said:

When I wanted a freezer a bunch of years back, I thought I would get a small chest freezer. So  I started checking criagslist a couple of times a day for a few days and lo and behold, I ended up with a much larger upright model in new condition for a hundred bucks. They just wanted it out quick due to a move. It was over 600 new. My advise would be take sometime and do the same, but be open to different types of models and when you see something that looks good be very quick to contact the owner and to get there as  quick as possible, as a same day response is the best way.

Good advice. You really don't need one at this time, just trying to justify to yourself that if this one blows, your out a lot of meat. New ones break too.  Larger just means you will pack that with whatever, kinda' like a garage, basement or attic. Buy a used one, save a lot of coin and probably get a superior unit to what you would buy as your history says your a cheapskate or  poor, either way you won't buy a new premium unit. 

Get a temperature alarm.  I have no idea what’s available but if it’s half full you have 1-2 days, full maybe 3 days to find a replacement as long as you keep it closed up

2 hours ago, AlwaysWading said:

53 mins ago, FizzyFish said:

Why would you want that?    Personally, if it was one or the other, I would want a high temp alarm.

lol ,that's what I meant, high temp. alarm. I don't think any have a low temp. alarm

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think you could add a stand alone high temp alarm if one doesn't come with it.

One thing to consider about upright  freezers, is that every time you open the door all the cold air falls out and is replaced with room temperature air.

Edited by FizzyFish

Not sure what type of chest freezer you have now, but my advice is DO NOT buy a frost free freezer. Buy a chest freezer that builds  the ice up on the inside. The food will stay months longer in the non frost free freezer. The frost free freezers actually go through a defrost cycle to keep ice from forming inside. That’s bad for food! Once a year I use a hammer and paint scraper and lightly knock the built up frost off of the freezer chassis. So easy, and my freezer is a 12 year old frigidaire.

IMO, very good advice.  I have a horizontal non frost free freezer that is at least 10 years old.

I only have to "defrost" it, the same as Tagman does, every other year at most.

Good Tip: especially for freezer at vacation homes or someplace your not at frequently

put a few ice cubes in a cup in the freezer, if you ever see they melted and refroze you had lost power at some point and the food should be discarded

Go bigger than you need. Fill the empty parts with Ice jugs cause a full freezer is a happy freezer. We just went from a 20 cu ft chest to a 17 cf upright. BIGGEST mistake ever. Size is fine but as stated above open and fill with warm air. Biggest drawback is that pkgs have to be more or less flat or you have a pile on the floor every time you open it. If we were not in our mid 70's it would be gone.  Good luck.  Stash

I have one that sounds very similar to the one you have, its about 20 years old and has never failed. I don't think you have much to worry about vis-a-vis it failing and if you get a similar one, then you'll have a back up. Avoid upright models as they are much less efficient.

4 hours ago, Tagman said:

Not sure what type of chest freezer you have now, but my advice is DO NOT buy a frost free freezer. Buy a chest freezer that builds  the ice up on the inside.

I was going to buy a frost free now I'm glad I didn't

What I’ve read: Chest freezer will keep frozen longer in an outage too.  Upright a day or  less if you open it, chest up to 3 days if it’s full.  Ymmv