cashews121

Killie Trap

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

You can get a gees trap a bait keeper and bubbler on amazon for like for $30.00 more or less if you look around but as far as bait goes a simple can of cat food just wait about 30min. And you should have a enough bait for a couple hours 

75627F72-7515-449C-A916-F9B0F23D972C.jpeg

Freshwter we bait with whatever is handy at the time (bread, dogfood, sliced turkey, cutbait...) all work well.    The end of an itialian hogie is as good as anything-  bread, cut up lunch meat, cheese.  Hold the oils. 

In salt we usually use a crushed up crab, which is >> to bread or dogfood and anything else I've tried.  

I forgot who but . knowlegable poster here on SOL mentioned using whole bunker.   

This is against the law  I think or so I heard when I was a kid ....I think they’re protected...but cracked up horseshoe crab is great bait for a killie trap ...an old timer from back in the day turned me on to it ... Id catch eels as well.. when I needed bait I use to look for dead ones on the beach near my house... 

5 hours ago, Gooch88 said:

You can get a gees trap a bait keeper and bubbler on amazon for like for $30.00 more or less if you look around but as far as bait goes a simple can of cat food just wait about 30min. And you should have a enough bait for a couple hours 

75627F72-7515-449C-A916-F9B0F23D972C.jpeg

Same here, cat food, dog food, bunker, mackerel, bluefish head, stale soft pretzels- all have filled the trap when the bait is there. 

I always baited with crushed mussels, or sometimes with the cheap mackerel that I bought in the grocery store (they sell it as Pacific jack mackerel).  

12 mins ago, Jay in the Bay said:

Which traps are better - the bare metal ones, or the ones with the black coating?

The bare metal ones are galvanized so they will not rust or corrode. The plastic coated traps will rest and break eventually. I set a trap in a feeder creek Sunday with some cheese crackers and it was loaded with mongo killies within 30 minutes. Fish scraps or cat food dry or wet also work but i forgot both.

10 hours ago, charles s said:

This is against the law  I think or so I heard when I was a kid ....I think they’re protected...but cracked up horseshoe crab is great bait for a killie trap ...an old timer from back in the day turned me on to it ... Id catch eels as well.. when I needed bait I use to look for dead ones on the beach near my house... 

whats illegal?

5 hours ago, Jay in the Bay said:

Which traps are better - the bare metal ones, or the ones with the black coating?

Galvanized, in a blowout.