jabster

A week of Albie fishing with Only on a Fly

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

On 2.7.2019 at 0:00 AM, stripesoffmonomoy91 said:

Looks like an unbelievable trip. What brand fly lines were you using? I have had some trouble with Rio lines breaking over the past year. Interested to hear your take.

SA, Rio, Airflo etc etc. Some were new lines and some old ones.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's a quick clip from the trip. Nothing serious, just compiled some footage from the trip in to one.

Edited by jabster

9 hours ago, jabster said:

Here's a quick clip from the trip. Nothing serious, just compiled some footage from the trip in to one.

That’s awesome nicely done

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm guess the optimum fly line for this sort of fishing is a tropical fast sinking head (preferably with a high core strength) rather than an intermediate?

Edited by JRT

1 hour ago, JRT said:

I'm guess the optimum fly line for this sort of fishing is a tropical fast sinking head (preferably with a high core strength) rather than an intermediate?

If I had to choose only one line to fish offshore Florida it would be a fast sinking line. However I would not feel comfortable going there without a intermediate line either. When they get more surface active it's so much nicer to fish with the intermediate. Btw, it's such a shame that the line manufacturers don't produce full sinking lines in the higher line classes (10-12 etc) . The only one around is the SA 3/5/7 sink Titan and the running line on that line lasted two trips... Not very nice when you pay 99bucks for that line. Rio Leviathans with a sink3 running line would be magical.

It's a pity manufacturers don't share the core strength of their lines. I'm interested in the Scientific Anglers 'Sonar Sink 30 Warm' and their 'Sonar Sink 30 Clear' lines but I've emailed them twice with no response. 

Buying lines at $80-$100 a pop is a lottery these days.