jabster

A week of Albie fishing with Only on a Fly

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Me, sms and our friend Iiro spend last week in Jupiter with Capt. Dino. Pulled on countless fish, landed some of them and had lots of laughs in the process.

That fishery is hardcore. We used drags on our reels that we don't even use when going after BFT or other big game species and still saw miles of backing on this trip. For a person that prefers to keep the drag in a comfy 4 to 9pound range and now using 10 to 16 pounds of drag constantly is hardcore stuff. Using drags like that and bullying them in completely green takes it toll. Bruises, cuts and most of all equipment failures are very common when doing that stuff. We broke 14 fly lines (Most were old) 4 rods and 3 reels on that trip. A full big box of flies and a spool of leader material was also used in one week...

We caught small albies, mid sized albies and big albies. Unfortunately most of the big ones were sharked. The amount of fish out there is staggering and the average weight very good. The fish also pull a lot harder down there in the warm water and maybe also because they are not full of bait like they usually are when fishing for them in the fall norther up. We caught them deeper down and on top.

The weather last week was variable. We had high winds, rain, heavy rain, low winds and sunshine. We got out every day. At times the sharks were bad and at times they were only a slight nuisance.

I was personally a bit badly prepared for this trip as I've had a bit too much going on. Health issues and the lack of time to tie up flies for this exact trip was a bit of a bummer. After a trip like this I feel very confident about the up and coming fall season. Now I'm probably going to take a small brake on anything fishing related and try to get myself and our new apartment in shape. Thanks Dino for everything! Will see you again, if not next year then the year after that.  

_DSC179244.jpg

aa-61.jpg

aa-62.jpg

aa-63.jpg

aa-64.jpg

_DSC1704.jpg

_DSC1730.jpg

_DSC1739.jpg

_DSC1783.jpg

_DSC1821.jpg

aa-67.jpg

aa-65.jpg

aa-66.jpg

aa-68.jpg

aa-69.jpg

aa-71.jpg

aa-72.jpg

aa-73.jpg

aa-74.jpg

aa-75.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

12 mins ago, jabster said:

LOL, now that's a fishing trip

We broke 14 fly lines (Most were old) 4 rods and 3 reels on that trip. A full big box of flies and a spool of leader material was also used in one week..

aa-67.jpg

By the way, contrary to my previous trip there we had to work for the fish a bit more. At times they were a bit picky about flies and the speed of the strip. The last time I was there you could throw a wet sock out there and catch an albie :)  

What fly patterns were you using?  I will be in FL in a couple of weeks and would like to tie up some flies in advance.  Thanks.

23 mins ago, RKMcP said:

What fly patterns were you using?  I will be in FL in a couple of weeks and would like to tie up some flies in advance.  Thanks.

3-5" Clousers and Deceivers are all you need. Olive/white, pink/white and gray/white work every time. Just be sure to bring lots of them.

I waas personally very badly prepared for this trip and did not have the energy to tie after a day out on the water. 

2 hours ago, JRT said:

Sounds like a great trip Jabs. Out of interest what reels/rods held up and which ones failed?

You can shoot me a PM about that. I've had some bad experiences about stuff like that on this forum so better safe than sorry:)

Nice report.  Those big florida albies are whole different animal than the NE albies.  

That behemoth is a nice reel but its not made for that kind of torture lol!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great pics my friends live down there and are always catching albies if I lived there I would guide for them get the NE guys down for them ...

Try a floating line and some sliders they will probably crush them yeah I’d be using my super 11 or a

Tibor 

Edited by mkus

We had a blast. Looking forward to the next trip. 

As for the rod bend those guys make there own on butt section out of fiberglass. They were bringing fish in with the tip of the rod touching the fish’s mouth. My hands took a beating as they were bringing fish in green. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 hours ago, Sandflee said:

This rod break? that is one awkward bend in the rod

aa-61.jpg.cb7f3109d0cfe5d93e8ddcda91c8908e.jpg

That rod actually did break. The only hybrid I've seen broken. They can withstand at least 20 times more abuse than a full carbon rod. Pretty much perfect tools for fishing like this where the main focus is in fish fighting. The bend on these homemade hybrids can be a bit funny looking, but it ain't easy getting the exact perfect components. @sms can elaborate more on that subject. A factory made hybrid would be awesome as they could match the taper and ferrule diameters much better. Unfortunately no one has gotten hint yet.

I got a few (like 8 butt sections) of these rods back home to, but as I don't build rods and they need a bit more tweaking and more big game suitable components I haven't used them much.   

Edited by jabster