JTR

Keeping 24” Stripers

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

For those of us that keep fish, would a 24” fish fulfill your needs? For me personally, it would, but I’m curious how others would feel about it. Reason I ask is because I feel like a slot limit is the best approach to conserving the stripers. Say 1 fish per day, 24-28”.

Ive said the DMF should consider this for years. A 24" would suit me just fine. And yes, I'd still only keep 5-6 a season.

Ehhh...Yes, and sorta no.

Yes a mid-20s bass provides enough of a tasty fillet for a good meal. 

Sorta No on 24-28: problem here is that there are so many more schoolies than spawning class stripers. At this size range you'd have many more overall fish kept, imo.

That said.. a substantial portion of those kept would be males--as they are equally abundant at this size class, vs say mid-30" range which starts to become nearly all females.

Personally, I'd like to see a 32-36 slot, with a trophy fish class made available for purchase. That might reduce the number of 15-20lbers kept, which IIRC are the flagship weight class of breeding bass

This sounds real nice in a forum discussion. But until people break the "keep the big one" mentality, its all rhetoric. For generations fishermen have it inscribed in their dna that you have to keep the biggest fish for braggin rights. After that, you just look to give it away to the first patsie who'll take if off your hands. If no patsies are around, there's always a dumpster.

So many guys with decades of fishing experience behind them still can't bring themselves to release a 40 pounder.

36 mins ago, rst3 said:

Sorta No on 24-28: problem here is that there are so many more schoolies than spawning class stripers. At this size range you'd have many more overall fish kept, imo.

I agree. The total amount of fish kept would be much more. Triple, quadruple, or maybe even more total fish will be taken out of the water. That won't be good. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

This sounds real nice in a forum discussion. But until people break the "keep the big one" mentality, its all rhetoric. For generations fishermen have it inscribed in their dna that you have to keep the biggest fish for braggin rights. After that, you just look to give it away to the first patsie who'll take if off your hands. If no patsies are around, there's always a dumpster.

So many guys with decades of fishing experience behind them still can't bring themselves to release a 40 pounder.

Florida figured out a way to make it work with snook. Redfish down south are slot fish too, as far as I know. I agree with you though - there needs to be a change in mindset. There are 2 major influencers that could make that change- the forums and social media.

3 hours ago, night owl said:

I agree. The total amount of fish kept would be much more. Triple, quadruple, or maybe even more total fish will be taken out of the water. That won't be good. 

Today, I agree with you. The current state of the fishery needs something different to rebound the stocks. That said, long term, I have to imagine that it would be beneficial. A 40” female has far, far more value to the fish stock as a breeder than a 25” fish or even 2,3,4 25” fish. 

The biggest issue I see with it is that you would need complete buy-in from all states in the range of stripers. Can’t have one state hammering schoolies, while other states are hammering the breeder sized fish. 

Edited by JTR

How about earn-a-striper?  no striper in possession without an a dogfish or a searobin first, ala deer regs.   

How about CnR only. 

But yes, a 24 would be completely acceptable on a personal level.  I remember keep ing a striper once.  Oh wait, no, I dont.  

I would say probably yes but im no expert. By 4 yrs old they become at least capable of attempting to spawn. A 4 year old striper acc to the charts is going to be in the low 20 inch range. Of course how successful these smaller fish are at spawning is something i have not seen any studies on.

I’d rather not be able to keep anything for a few years and then do whatever scientists think is best. I really do enjoy eating striped but with them being deemed overfished not sure if I can bring myself to do it.

where is the science that states a slot limit is the best for the striped bass population? just curious

9 hours ago, rst3 said:

That said.. a substantial portion of those kept would be males--as they are equally abundant at this size class, vs say mid-30" range which starts to become nearly all females.

Male striped bass do not leave he Chesapeak Bay, only makes from the Hudson stock migrate, but not very far.

5 hours ago, JTR said:

Today, I agree with you. The current state of the fishery needs something different to rebound the stocks. That said, long term, I have to imagine that it would be beneficial. A 40” female has far, far more value to the fish stock as a breeder than a 25” fish or even 2,3,4 25” fish. 

You sure about that? Did you do the math? The 40 inch female may produce more eggs but that doesn't mean there will be more fry. You can see on the YOY charts that the success of a particular years spawn is totally dependent on weather/river conditions. Then also consider that the 25" fish will live years longer than the 40" fish and therefore spawn many more times. I suspect you're basing your conclusions on the fact that in any given year the 40" fish will produce more eggs, but that doesn't necessarily lead to more young fish around.