Thumb-Burner

need help with a freshwater lmb spinning rod for kayak

11 posts in this topic

I have found a very good deal on a high end spinning rod i would intend to use for spotted bass and largemouth bass in a lake from my 10' kayak..

My question, is a 7'3" rod too long for this.. i'm new to kayak fishing.....  i already have a 6'6" spinning rod a 7' baitcast and a 6'8 baitcast.    

I would use the new 7'3" rod for shakeyheads...  weightless worms...  and flukes on light jigheads.

I don’t think it would be too long. Most of my kayak rods are 7 foot. I don’t think the extra 3 inches would be that much of a difference. 

29 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

I have found a very good deal on a high end spinning rod i would intend to use for spotted bass and largemouth bass in a lake from my 10' kayak..

What's the rod? 

7'3 is fine, just beware of highsticking when you land fish!

28 mins ago, Mojoboy said:

I don’t think it would be too long. Most of my kayak rods are 7 foot. I don’t think the extra 3 inches would be that much of a difference. 

Agreed.

Extra fast rods are one dimensional. If you are getting out with a limited number of rods, it is nice for them to do  multiple jobs. Just sayin'. 

1 min ago, Sweetwater said:

Extra fast rods are one dimensional. If you are getting out with a limited number of rods, it is nice for them to do  multiple jobs. Just sayin'. 

interesting point.  how'd you get so smart?

24 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Powell Endurance 732 ML EF

Heard good things about Powell rods. Good luck with it!

1 hour ago, Thumb-Burner said:
12 mins ago, Sweetwater said:

I would use the new 7'3" rod for shakeyheads...  weightless worms...  and flukes on light jigheads.

I'd say it's perfect for those techniques!

I don't work a lot. 

Here's my take: you have room for three rods. You want them to serve as many purposes as possible. I would have a light fast rod for shakeys and small cranks/spinners, etc, a middle power, mod fast rod for cranks and topwater and a flippin stik style rod for spinnerbaits, larger cranks and carolona rigging. With that spread I should be able to fish anything from 1/16- 1 3/8 ounces fairly well.