flylikabird

Seven Great Whites Spotted Today In Cape Cod Bay

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Been boating 30+ years in Boston Harbor and never saw a seal until yesterday outside of Hull Gut eating a nice size flounder. Initially thought it was a man overboard. 

thumbnail_IMG_4212.png

How cute!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

THey do not make many differences between a seal and some one fishing in the shallows. If his mouth us open and you are in his path you best have wings on , because you will never outrun one once he has eyeballed you

I will poke em in the eyes with my Lami! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went diving off of Plymouth today for work. I saw this post about 20 minutes before jumping in.  That was one of the most unnerving dives I've ever had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Culling seals would need changes to Federal law.  Not happening.  Culling GWs, if that's what was meant, is also probably subject to Federal law.

 

I don't know how visible a GW may normally be from a boat. Are they on top enough for shark-watching cruises, as people now go for whale watching cruises?  

 

As for bathers ... GWs munch on a couple of southern California almost every year. It doesn't seem to discourage them one bit. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clubcarib said:

Went diving off of Plymouth today for work. I saw this post about 20 minutes before jumping in.  That was one of the most unnerving dives I've ever had. 

Welcome aboard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Culling seals would need changes to Federal law.  Not happening.  Culling GWs, if that's what was meant, is also probably subject to Federal law.

 

I don't know how visible a GW may normally be from a boat. Are they on top enough for shark-watching cruises, as people now go for whale watching cruises?  

 

As for bathers ... GWs munch on a couple of southern California almost every year. It doesn't seem to discourage them one bit. 

 

 

The change in the statute is a given (and a huge mountain to climb). Political fear of loosing votes from the environmental voters has been what’s holding back the politicians from doing anything about the seals. I support the sharks as they are the only species around that can kill those slugs (legally). However, going for a dip at the beach or kayaking the salt is no longer on my radar. Face it, our summer traditions have to be changed at the beach but we could decrease the chances of a shark attack if the grey seal herd on the Cape was isolated rather than spreading far and wide. With the seals comes the sharks.

 

Talk to to the full time commercial guys and see how pissed off they are with the seals because they eat all of the ground fish. When more of the herd starts moving into the already ridiculously crowded Ditch their going to shag an easy meal off of someone’s line. Yet they remain unchecked the way other wild life are and continue to decimate fish stocks. 

 

 

Edited by heyblue34

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrianBM said:

Culling seals would need changes to Federal law.  Not happening.  Culling GWs, if that's what was meant, is also probably subject to Federal law.

 

I don't know how visible a GW may normally be from a boat. Are they on top enough for shark-watching cruises, as people now go for whale watching cruises?  

 

As for bathers ... GWs munch on a couple of southern California almost every year. It doesn't seem to discourage them one bit. 

 

 

If the gubmint even hinted at a seal cull the public outcry would be worldwide. For that reason alone it will never happen. 

Interesting situation. Both species are protected. One, doe-eyed and cute, the other a mean eating machine.

 

Just for the sake of discussion. Lets  say the biologists are right, and the seal colony is 30,000 animals strong. How many would have to be culled to effectively deter the GWs?

Personally I believe the damage has be done. The outer Cape and CCB has already been imprinted on the GWs DNA. These guys are here to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, Clubcarib said:

Thanks!  I’m on the forums all the time anyways, figured I’d start posting 

A joke is required of all new posters, lest you arouse the wrath of the powers that be.

 

Welcome aboard!

:howdy:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

As for bathers ... GWs munch on a couple of southern California almost every year. It doesn't seem to discourage them one bit. 

 

 

Those surfer dudes are sooooo high they just don't care

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, bob_G said:

If the gubmint even hinted at a seal cull the public outcry would be worldwide. For that reason alone it will never happen. 

Interesting situation. Both species are protected. One, doe-eyed and cute, the other a mean eating machine.

 

Just for the sake of discussion. Lets  say the biologists are right, and the seal colony is 30,000 animals strong. How many would have to be culled to effectively deter the GWs?

Personally I believe the damage has be done. The outer Cape and CCB has already been imprinted on the GWs DNA. These guys are here to stay.

It's very true - can you imagine the state going around with what, a blackhawk with 50 cals on it just mowing down seals? It's not in the cards.  plus, all the beaches with seals are protected because of the plovers, what will 30,000 rotting seal corpses do to america's most beloved bird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, bob_G said:

If the gubmint even hinted at a seal cull the public outcry would be worldwide. For that reason alone it will never happen. 

Interesting situation. Both species are protected. One, doe-eyed and cute, the other a mean eating machine.

 

Just for the sake of discussion. Lets  say the biologists are right, and the seal colony is 30,000 animals strong. How many would have to be culled to effectively deter the GWs?

Personally I believe the damage has be done. The outer Cape and CCB has already been imprinted on the GWs DNA. These guys are here to stay.

You’re right Bob, they are here to stay and no politician around here except for Crazy Leo has the guts to call for a cull. I can’t give you a number but as they push west and bring the sharks some poor individual is going to get attacked. Again all of the naysayers will point the finger at the shark and say that something needs to be done about them which is the most absurd thing with this issue. 

 

Were the seals an issue issue when the herd was about 5,000? Was the fishing on the back side still good at that time? I recall reading an article that quoted the late Tony Stetzko who said that the bass smartened up and would not run the seal gauntlet following the night tides inshore. How long is it going to take until the entire Massachusetts coast is inundated with seals and the striped bass just say no way, we’re not going there?  

 

Their in Boston, the Canal, and even as far as Montauk, NY. The best part about this is the possibility of killer whales coming in to feast. Oh man, they are a game changer! 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

The best part about this is the possibility of killer whales coming in to feast. Oh man, they are a game changer!

Man, now I am going to need a BIGGER kayak!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.