flylikabird

Seven Great Whites Spotted Today In Cape Cod Bay

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

Our buddy Greg Skomal.....aka Squint, saw at least seven White Sharks today in Cape Cod Bay.    At least on was previously tagged.   A twelve footer named Ashley Grace, albeit a pretty crappy stripper name but what the heck.  

I was chatting yesterday with a lobster man from my old home town and he said he saw a 12 foot Great White last week....also in the bay.   

The 98.5 Sports Hub midday show with Bertrand & Zolak reported today that a very large shark was spotted today on the North Shore (Manchester-by-the-Sea).

5d114aa37e103_great-white-shark_thumb.ngsversion.1498145420427.adapt_1900_11.jpg.422c66f791a2fcaaee9ebe6c343c5cde.jpg

I would not doubt the one in Manchester by the Sea is a Basking shark.  My buddy and I have been spotting them the last few years out there from late May through June.  

A few years ago I started a thread on here because I saw a large shark out in that same area.  One of the SOL members sent it to Skomal who said it was a basking shark.  It was a false alarm.

17 mins ago, Theiceman33 said:

I would not doubt the one in Manchester by the Sea is a Basking shark.  My buddy and I have been spotting them the last few years out there from late May through June.  

A few years ago I started a thread on here because I saw a large shark out in that same area.  One of the SOL members sent it to Skomal who said it was a basking shark.  It was a false alarm.

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a GW either, I’ve seen seals up and down the coastline from Beverly to Gloucester 

I really wanted to invest in a fishing kayak for a while.  Just as soon as they come out with ones with fish finders, motors, live wells and what not, the sharks show up and start grabbing fish out of peoples hands - the kayak dream is over for me

15 mins ago, aglenn said:

I really wanted to invest in a fishing kayak for a while.  Just as soon as they come out with ones with fish finders, motors, live wells and what not, the sharks show up and start grabbing fish out of peoples hands - the kayak dream is over for me

Oh come on, live the dream. What could go wrong? :poopfan:

1 hour ago, Duke of the North Shore said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a GW either, I’ve seen seals up and down the coastline from Beverly to Gloucester 

True.  Dry Salvages is the home to a few hundred seals that roam Ipswich Bay.  I'm surprised we haven't had more sightings.

2 hours ago, flylikabird said:

Our buddy Greg Skomal.....aka Squint, saw at least seven White Sharks today in Cape Cod Bay.    At least on was previously tagged.   A twelve footer named Ashley Grace, albeit a pretty crappy stripper name but what the heck.  

I was chatting yesterday with a lobster man from my old home town and he said he saw a 12 foot Great White last week....also in the bay.   

The 98.5 Sports Hub midday show with Bertrand & Zolak reported today that a very large shark was spotted today on the North Shore (Manchester-by-the-Sea).

5d114aa37e103_great-white-shark_thumb.ngsversion.1498145420427.adapt_1900_11.jpg.422c66f791a2fcaaee9ebe6c343c5cde.jpg

new normal. folks should just get used to the idea that they aren't at the top of the food chain around these parts once they enter the water

2 hours ago, Theiceman33 said:

True.  Dry Salvages is the home to a few hundred seals that roam Ipswich Bay.  I'm surprised we haven't had more sightings.

Harbor or grey seals?

9 hours ago, heyblue34 said:

Harbor or grey seals?

I believe harbor seals, but I haven't driven by the island in a few years.  The thought of all those seals pisses me off.

1 hour ago, Theiceman33 said:

I believe harbor seals, but I haven't driven by the island in a few years.  The thought of all those seals pisses me off.

There are small pods of harbor seals up and down the coast. However the estimated number of Grey seals on the Cape is somewhere between 15,000 to 20,000. I believe that as competition and scarcity of food grows the heard will move to find food. Their movement north, south and especially west into areas like Duxbury, Plymouth, Marshfield, etc., will trigger another GWS attack on a person. I sincerely hope that this does not happen but it seems inevitable.

Also, if this does occur the public outcry from the Irish Riviera will be overwhelming. Unfortunately the local politicians (except Leo Cakounes) are not willing to step up and call for a cull as everyone has recently witnessed after the death of Arthur Medici. Instead the finger gets pointed at the GWS rather than the seals. For example the plan to place a shark deterrent in the water is highly questionable based on several studies. A waste of money and time if you ask me.

I have said this before on SOL and I’ll say it again- the grey seals are over populated on the Cape, and they need to be put in check just the way deer, turkey and other species are controlled.  Take a look out west in places like Idaho that allow the hunting of wolves because the wolves are having their way with deer and elk. The government could sell the meat to Canada where they eat it. 

The time to act has passed but Mr. Cute Big Sad Eyes Grey seal gets the sympathy pass and continues to eat everything in site and crap it out whenever they want. 

Been boating 30+ years in Boston Harbor and never saw a seal until yesterday outside of Hull Gut eating a nice size flounder. Initially thought it was a man overboard. 

thumbnail_IMG_4212.png

21 hours ago, aglenn said:

That is my biggest issue with it.......I’ve had no issues with kayak fishing.....Ive even seen a couple whites while out there.

the new game of grabbing the fish off the line changes everything though.

I've spent way too much time unhooking a big fish next to my kayak to want to worry about a shark taking my arm with it.

8 mins ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

I just watched one jump clear out of water right next to sesuit 

THey do not make many differences between a seal and some one fishing in the shallows. If his mouth us open and you are in his path you best have wings on , because you will never outrun one once he has eyeballed you