jjdbike

High-end cooler: help please?

Rate this topic

96 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey everyone,

I need a cooler that will keep food cold while in the sun on extended trips. My Igloos and Colmens aren't cutting it.

This will be used for multi day fishing trips (sitting on top deck in sun), multi-day camping trips (again, sitting in sun), and multi-day road trips (sitting in hot car).

I was originally put off by the price of Yeti. It just seemed way over priced. Thinking all "roto molded" coolers would be pretty close I purchased the cheapest I could find. It is a 77qt "Lifetime" which I bought at Wallmart for $147. Turnes out it didn't hold ice as long as my Igloo and not nearly as long as my bud's Yeti. I'm taking it back today! It was a waste of money.

I looked up cooler ratings, focusing on ice retention, and they are all over the place. None of them rate the same coolers the same. I'm leery of these ratings being influanced by advertising. Hard to trust a rating when most of them do not match or find similar results.

I'm looking for something in the 65 - 77 qt range. Obvlously I don't want to spend more than I have to, but am willing to pay what I have to for quality and ice retention.

Can someone please help me sort out the differences and the best models? The models I've seen rated best are Yeti (most expensive), Rtic, Kong, Orca, Pelican, Custom Cooler Store and Otter Box.

Any input or suggestion are greatly appreciated!

Respetcfully,

JD

Edited by jjdbike

I can only speak of my own experience. I own the Pelican 65 for 3 years now. I only use it on extended trips of more than 4 days otherwise the lighter Igloo is fine. I have used the Pelican on 2 separate month long trips and various shorter trips with the temperature at 100 degrees plus for most of one month long trip and half of the other long trip. I only needed to "ice up" once during each month long trip. I do pre-chill the cooler and food and cover cooler with one of those foil car windshield reflectors designed to keep your car cool in hot temps. no complaints whatsoever and would buy another in a second. Heavy when empty and smaller inside than you would think judging on overall size due to the insulation. I wouldn't want to move any size over the 65 when loaded without help but the 65 is fine. Heavy duty locking tab so cooler can be secured when out of sight. 

My buddy takes his Yetti cooler camping for a week at a time, and he says that it was the best money spent. He always raves about it. I can't honestly confirm, as I don't go camping with him. I also know a few other people that rave about Yetti coolers. I seen a lot of cooler comparisons on the internet, along with You Tube. May want to check it out to get a better idea.

Edited by Cadman T

59 mins ago, SC said:

I can only speak of my own experience. I own the Pelican 65 for 3 years now. I only use it on extended trips of more than 4 days otherwise the lighter Igloo is fine. I have used the Pelican on 2 separate month long trips and various shorter trips with the temperature at 100 degrees plus for most of one month long trip and half of the other long trip. I only needed to "ice up" once during each month long trip. I do pre-chill the cooler and food and cover cooler with one of those foil car windshield reflectors designed to keep your car cool in hot temps. no complaints whatsoever and would buy another in a second. Heavy when empty and smaller inside than you would think judging on overall size due to the insulation. I wouldn't want to move any size over the 65 when loaded without help but the 65 is fine. Heavy duty locking tab so cooler can be secured when out of sight. 

Thanks SC.

Pelican coolers sem to always be near the tops of the ratings I've seen on line.

18 mins ago, Cadman T said:

My buddy takes his Yetti cooler camping for a week at a time, and he says that it was the best money spent. He always raves about it. I can't honestly confirm, as I don't go camping with him. I also know a few other people that rave about Yetti coolers. I seen a lot of cooler comparisons on the internet, along with You Tube. May want to check it out to get a better idea.

Thanks Cadman,

I've spent a good amount of time on line looking at high end cooler comparasons. I am suspicious of many as being biased by advertising or sponsorship. Yeti is often on or near the top of ratings. But ust as many online complain that Yeti is over priced junk and that the Yeti name has become a status symbol more than a quality high performance product.

That's why I made this appeal to hear from people who know and or have expereince with these high end coolers.

I'm still not sure what to buy for my purposes.

Any help, expereinces and info is greatly appreciated. 

JD

Pelican.  USA made, warrantied for life no questions asked.  Injection  molded so its lighter.  What makes it better than Yeti?  No rubber closures (rot in sun) they have military grade clamps.  Bigger volume for same catagory.  Some have wheels.

I went through the same process 3 years ago and found that there are several high end coolers that are roughly equivalent to Yeti ( I eliminated Pelican because of the weight), but where do you buy one. The problem was sort of solved for me on a trip to FL when the hinges on my Igloo broke. I walked into Dick's and bought a Yeti, which sort of emphasizes the point that you can get them everywhere. I'm not sure that they hold ice significantly longer than an Igloo or Coleman if you do the same precooling and don't open it much, but they are definitely more rugged and repairable. 

My RTIC keeps ice as well as my Yeti.  RTIC is less than half the price of a Yeti.  

In my experience, the high performance coolers all perform about the same. Get what you can for a good price. The performance difference often lies in how you use and load the cooler and what type of ice you use.  These things have been discussed ad nauseum on these boards.

The issue I have with Yeti is they get stolen at a rate much faster than any other cooler. Status symbol for some.

I have a Yeti 50 that is strapped to the front deck of the skiff and a Pelican 48 that is used for on the go. No scientific info, but the Pelican holds ice longer, from what I’ve observed....

jjdbike

I've heard from several people that Yetti is way overpriced. Yet they seem to have a big following. If I  were looking for a cooler, I would have to weigh the difference in cost and warranty. I have read also that pre-chilling the cooler helps, also keeping it in the shade. Good luck and let us know what you decide. 

Edited by Cadman T

Don't confuse marketing dollars, advertising and overall cost ..with quality or performance.

There are a number of coolers out there that perform great in 5 day ice tests.

Speaking of "reviews all over the place" I am very happy with my Lifetime cooler. I have the next size down from the one you have.  I think it is 48qts or something close.  I only need something that will hold ice for 2 -3 day max and usually 1 - 2.  So far even after 3 days my ice packs are still frozen at least half.  i like the way the latches work and the cooler stays put on the deck of my boat without tiedowns. The cooler is well made here in the USA.  Loading and usage is a huge impact on how long they keep ice.  Just because two coolers had the same environment for a few days does not mean they were identical tests.  I also have an RTIC softside which I really like as well so you might give the brand a try.  Much cheaper than Yeti.

Good luck with your search.