The 2 Week Fisher

Best Surf Reel for around $200?

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

So I’m getting a new set up this year. We go to Myrtle beach every October for 2 weeks. I already have the rod picked out, but I’m trying to decide on a reel. Rod is 11ft, extremely  light, 4 - 7oz lure weight, med/fast action. I only use bait. And typically cut bait. I want a reel that won’t be too cumbersome. I typically use Baitrunners. I have a Shimano 6000D, (Wouldn’t mind another one I suppose) Okuma Cedros BF65, and another Okuma reel. I don’t like the Penn Spinfisher V. Now it doesn’t have to be a Baitfeeder. Actually thinking of just going with something a little more lightweight for when I’m standing out in the surf. What’s the best reel someone could recommend me picking up, preferably under or close to $200. Any help appreciated. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Shimano Spheros(can be had for just about 200$ or a little under) or penn slammer (5500 can be had for 209$ as of now). Both have superior gear material and sealing to the BG line. 

Edited by jk20a3

I have the Slammer 5500. It's been perfect for 2 seasons. Get that, or the Spheros. Both are better reels than the BG or the Saltist. Both can be had for under $200.

You can't beat the smooth drag on the Slammer.

Really like my Slammer III for surf fishing; currently fish with the 4500 and 5500, love the 4500 due to light weight when fishing lures, but for bait & wait I use the 5500.  Monitor the sales, bought both of mine last summer for about half price.  OH

5 hours ago, The 2 Week Fisher said:

So I’m getting a new set up this year. We go to Myrtle beach every October for 2 weeks. I already have the rod picked out, but I’m trying to decide on a reel. Rod is 11ft, extremely  light, 4 - 7oz lure weight, med/fast action. I only use bait. And typically cut bait. I want a reel that won’t be too cumbersome. I typically use Baitrunners. I have a Shimano 6000D, (Wouldn’t mind another one I suppose) Okuma Cedros BF65, and another Okuma reel. I don’t like the Penn Spinfisher V. Now it doesn’t have to be a Baitfeeder. Actually thinking of just going with something a little more lightweight for when I’m standing out in the surf. What’s the best reel someone could recommend me picking up, preferably under or close to $200. Any help appreciated. 

Shimano Ultegra 5500 CI4 mini big pit.  It’s got a quick drag system.  360 deg turn from loose to tight.  Super light CI4 material.  Smooth as silk

1 hour ago, Birdsnester said:

Shimano Ultegra 5500 CI4 mini big pit.  It’s got a quick drag system.  360 deg turn from loose to tight.  Super light CI4 material.  Smooth as silk

Those are a bit out of my budget 

4 hours ago, RockRonin said:

I have the Slammer 5500. It's been perfect for 2 seasons. Get that, or the Spheros. Both are better reels than the BG or the Saltist. Both can be had for under $200.

You can't beat the smooth drag on the Slammer.

Where are you guys finding the slammer for under $200? All the ones I’m finding are $250+

10 mins ago, The 2 Week Fisher said:

Where are you guys finding the slammer for under $200? All the ones I’m finding are $250+

Got all mine on the 'zon on sale. I have three Slammers. Paid $145 for the 4500, $160 for the 5500 and $175 for the 6500HS on sale. They go on sale periodically. Check the auction site as well, I just went there and typed Penn Slammer into the Bay search bar and found a 5500 for $194 with free shipping. Why don't you go over and offer $175? I'll bet they sell you one.

29 mins ago, The 2 Week Fisher said:

Those are a bit out of my budget 

Sorry about that.  I just now noticed the $200 max.  Look at the pic. Same reel without CI4.  $189.  

6B5E4AD0-9C21-4903-AEAC-B2DE13674A1B.png

19 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Sorry about that.  I just now noticed the $200 max.  Look at the pic. Same reel without CI4.  $189.  

6B5E4AD0-9C21-4903-AEAC-B2DE13674A1B.png

You like the Long cast reels? I’ve never tried one.