Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ermghoti

An Offer I Couldn't Refuse

14 posts in this topic

I've been waffling about getting some sort of boat ever since I made the change from an apartment to a house. For various reasons I'd be limited to either a small aluminum boat or a kayak. Obviously, there are benefits and disadvantages to either. Of course, the kayak side of the argument contains the included issue of paddle vs pedal, hands free mobility vs weight.

Welp. Went into West Marine to pick up a couple plugs for night fishing, and they had a closeout price on a OK Prowler Angler of 50% off. $450. So I did that. Haven't picked up a paddle yet, as I didn't care for the offerings at WM or REI. I'll try KTP or some other acronym tomorrow.

So far, I have: yak, PFD, whistle, spray top, waist waders (controversial), surf belt, cart, scupper valves for the seat area, roof tiedown kit. Definitely getting: VHF, paddle, anchor (probably DIY a trolley), stadium pad for the seat bottom, milk crate or other tackle storage, and repurpose one of my coolers for yakkery. Considering rod holders, flag/light, sonar (I have a Sonarphone which works well enough, haven't tried dragging it yet though).

On the last point, OK says their warranty is voided if you "modify" the hull, but they sell accessories that seem to require at least drilling holes, and they have a scupper hole specifically labeled for transducer installation, which I'm pretty sure usually involves a hole for routing the cable. Anyone know how much, if any, surgery they tolerate?

Anyway, short term plan is once I have rounded out the basics, is hit a pond, and practice boarding, flipping and re-entering until I feel competentish, then add the waders and splash top to the equation. After that, a bit of freshwater fishing, then gradually up the difficulty level. I know at least one bay that is almost always completely placid with a generally on-shore breeze.

Congrats that's a good deal. Don't overthink it. Just rig the kayak normally and you will be fine. Voiding the warranty would probably mean something like, adding a toilet or adding a mirage drive.

congrats. kayak fishing is great. mobility, drop in anywhere and fish. no crowded boat ramps or launching fees. enjoy. be safe out there.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wow great deal. Good luck with your new ride. If you plan on using the scupper hole for the the transducer for the fish finder there are limited options.  You can also place your transducer inside the hull

in duct seal if you don't have side scan imaging. I would suggest you take the kayak out for a paddle before you decide what  accessories you need and where to place these items. Also go out with out any gear and practice self rescue with out the waders.  Always good to know you can rescue your self. 

Edited by dbjpb

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, The Riddler said:

adding a toilet or adding a mirage drive.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

3 hours ago, dbjpb said:

I would suggest you take the kayak out for a paddle before you decide what  accessories you need and where to place these items. Also go out with out any gear and practice self rescue with out the waders.  Always good to know you can rescue your self. 

Absolutely on the agenda. Start with the kayak empty and me in swim clothes, work up from there.

Edit: I also started thing I could affix a small transom to the rudder mount for transducer, if I decide the rudder is not needed.

Edited by ermghoti

Using the four rudder mount inserts sounds like a creative idea, could probably work even with the bottom of stern, going in rough water might be an issue if stern comes out of water a lot. Congrats on your purchase a lot of people really like that basic lean mean machine! One lesson you should learn which is the hardest, is don't go nuts buying everything and putting it on your yak, use it for a while and see what you actually need, stuff just adds more work to loading up and adds weight.

Welcome to the plastic Navy!....Jack

On 6/23/2019 at 11:31 PM, ermghoti said:

On the last point, OK says their warranty is voided if you "modify" the hull, but they sell accessories that seem to require at least drilling holes, and they have a scupper hole specifically labeled for transducer installation, which I'm pretty sure usually involves a hole for routing the cable. Anyone know how much, if any, surgery they tolerate?

Johnson outdoors makes ocean kayak & also humminbird, they make a transducer that fits in the scupper & is attached with a nut on the threaded transducer stem, you don't drill into the hull to mount it...

5d1212c00c394_Humminbirdscuppertransducer.jpg.3b3e3d38540436ed78602d9fd8fa6871.jpg

Drilling for the cable in the cockpit isn't the same as drilling through the hull, everybody drills to mount this & that at some point....you can call them to clarify..

If you go the humminbird route, this is the best option for that kayak, you'll never have any of the issues that the other mounting solutions create...you won't even know its there

Humminbird has a transducer exchange program, you send the packaged transducer that comes with the unit back to them for the the scupper mount style,  you have to research that to ensure the model you choose has this style of transducer exchange option

Regards.....

51 mins ago, BillZ said:

Johnson outdoors makes ocean kayak & also humminbird, they make a transducer that fits in the scupper & is attached with a nut on the threaded transducer stem, you don't drill into the hull to mount it...

5d1212c00c394_Humminbirdscuppertransducer.jpg.3b3e3d38540436ed78602d9fd8fa6871.jpg

Drilling for the cable in the cockpit isn't the same as drilling through the hull, everybody drills to mount this & that at some point....you can call them to clarify..

If you go the humminbird route, this is the best option for that kayak, you'll never have any of the issues that the other mounting solutions create...you won't even know its there

Humminbird has a transducer exchange program, you send the packaged transducer that comes with the unit back to them for the the scupper mount style,  you have to research that to ensure the model you choose has this style of transducer exchange option

Regards.....

thats a neat idea

Thanks! I had seen all that  which was part of my confusion. Re: the Humminbird mount, you still drill for the cable to get to the mount  just not the outer hull? So that would be considered the same as drilling to mount the unit?

Correct me if I’m wrong but, with the mount shown above, it goes through your scupper hole and there should be a matching nut to thread and secure the xducer.

therefore no drilling through the hull or below the waterline.

now you need to run cables to the head unit and for that, you will need to drill on the deck, preferably in an area you can access the backside, in order to use a cable gland/bung... hobie through wire kit (old version you need to thread the backing but.  The new version with three outlets, goop and surface screws works.

so no drill through hull below water line

Got it wet today. Deliberately did not bring fishing tackle, since I wanted to start to groove a stroke, and make a few attempts at re-entering and flipping. Took a couple laps of Lake Saltonstall in Haverhill, and bailed out a few times. Wore a rash guard and board shorts, which seems fine during the summer, I can work up to something splash-proof as it gets cooler. Will probably get SPF rash guard pants, since I burn miserably.