It was bad at the ditch today.

Rate this topic

FEW3

1 hour ago, Vaporizor said:

some people ride with respect.....just like some fish with respect...there is a trend here

I agree with you 100%, but it's the azz holes that ruin it for every one.  My biggest problem was the parents of the kids tearing everything up when they complained there was no where for their kids to ride...…...

8 hours ago, b-ware said:

Have you ever owned property where the dirt bikes ride through, rutting it up and the next big rainstorm washes out a good part of your land??? Or how about the little bastids ripping up a newly planted field or start blowing donuts in an access road.  Let them ride on their own land...……...

Rant over...…...

I grew up riding dirt bikes both on my parents land (12 acres) friends land or power lines. I didn’t ride though peoples personal property because my friends and I were not idiots. I’m glad there are kids that ride the trails near where I currently live because it’s the only thing that keeps the weeds under control. The EPOs are generally wasting time chasing kids on the power lines and state land along route 25. I’ve seen them numerous times on their blacked out atvs riding along the side of the highway.  They really aren’t hurting anything and the time could be much better spent chasing poachers. 

On 7/2/2019 at 0:06 PM, robc22 said:

Dinghy can always make me chuckle.....thx bud

But you have to be careful telling him that, he'll start thinking hes hot $#it on a silver platter when hes cold diarrhea in a dixie cup. 

2 hours ago, FEW3 said:

But you have to be careful telling him that, he'll start thinking hes hot $#it on a silver platter when hes cold diarrhea in a dixie cup. 

AhhhhhI'm sure you both nice guys

22 hours ago, z-man said:

I grew up riding dirt bikes both on my parents land (12 acres) friends land or power lines. I didn’t ride though peoples personal property because my friends and I were not idiots. I’m glad there are kids that ride the trails near where I currently live because it’s the only thing that keeps the weeds under control. The EPOs are generally wasting time chasing kids on the power lines and state land along route 25. I’ve seen them numerous times on their blacked out atvs riding along the side of the highway.  They really aren’t hurting anything and the time could be much better spent chasing poachers. 

Well a million years ago in high school we drove the DoD cops nuts on the base. Nothing like riding dirt bikes in the impact area!

On 6/23/2019 at 5:18 PM, aglenn said:

Can you not call Bourne pd at that point?

Let me tell you a story. About 20 years ago, we saw a guy taking shorts and hiding them in the rocks. A guy I knew slightly, Dick from the Brockton area, had something that few of us had back then--a cell phone. He called BPD. They did send someone down--a kid who couldn't have been a day older than 25. He pulled up to us, and asked if we were the people who called it in. I told him I didn't call, but I knew the guy who did, and then I pointed out the poacher to him. As he put the cruiser in gear, before he drove away, he asked me, "hey, what does a striper look like? Does it look like a tautog?"  At that point, all I could muster without saying something that might get me arrested instead was, "sorta, but it doesn't have teeth and it has stripes on the sides". The guy unlocked the gate, drove down to the spot, eyeballed the guy from the driver's seat, turned around, and drove back to the lot. Told us, "well, I didn't see any fish, and he said he hasn't caught any" and drove off.

Look, I want to be fair, and certainly the department is much more professional now. but, given all that Bourne cops have on their plates these days, if you even get a response, the responding officer has to know length, bag, and possession limits, and moreover, what a striped bass looks like. Don't assume that living in a seaside town makes them all knowledgable about that stuff.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

On 6/27/2019 at 8:47 PM, bob_G said:

Back in the day poaching stripers was non existent because: 

1. The minimum size was 16" to the fork of the tail.

2. No license of any kind was required.

3. Anyone could sell fish, because again, no license was needed and there was no quota or seasonal closure.

Most canal highliners had backroom deals with local restaurants. We sold canal fresh fish directly to the owner and were paid more than a whole market would pay. This was a perfectly acceptable practice at the time.

LOL. One night a school of pogies come into the west end and all hell broke loose when the blues found it. If you could get a snagged one under the blues, bass were waiting. I managed to get 2 totalling 55 pounds hooked up and landed, with a pogie that somehow made it down. I sold them to Bob's Sea Grill for $2/pound. 

The next night my sister took me there for my birthday. She looked at the white board listing the specials and said, "look Mike, they have broiled striper tonight". I told her, "I caught those fish last night, you think I'm buying back my own fish?" :laugh:  

If it it wasn't totally within the letter of the law back then, it was accepted practice, as long as the fish were legal length. And believe me, there was one market not too far off the Canal that was known for paying cash on the spot for shorts. Shorts then being under 24" fork length. 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver