codfish

Commercial season starts Monday

Rate this topic

319 posts in this topic

Surprised nobody has made mention recently of the quota. As of today; perhaps slightly behind but probably not too far off 164,280 lbs of the 869,280 lb quota has been filled since the season opened 1 month ago. Approx 18.9%. If the month of August goes at the same pace the quota is going to be far from filled this year. After looking at previous years charts on Mass.gov  it seems like end of July should be closer to 50%. What are the thoughts of those spending time on the water this year? I have been out very minimally.

1 hour ago, Seadogg said:

I think those numbers speak for themselves, don’t you? 

I do. But there’s usually an excuse. Bad weather; not enough days; numbers are wrong; etc. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Most of those fish all came from the canal

And southwest ledge...

Edited by CcCstriper89

40 mins ago, CcCstriper89 said:

I do. But there’s usually an excuse. Bad weather; not enough days; numbers are wrong; etc. 

True. Curious what it’ll be. 

On 6/24/2019 at 9:43 PM, z-man said:

The recra-mercial fishery is crazy. The mentality of I like to striper fish so I’m going to kill them to make some money to pay for my hobby is ridiculous . What other hobby is like this?  It’s like golfers stealing sod off the greens to pay for new clubs. Or hikers cutting down trees to sell as firewood. If you need more money get a side job or a better career. Don’t rape the natural resources just to make a buck. 

Damn, that's a well-turned phrase.

so i like to ski,and one of the ways i can afford to ski is by coaching,i like to do woodwork so i build and sell things out of wood,i like to build houses so i work constuction here and there,i like to fish so i sell some fish,is that all ridiculous. i have no real job never have,i do what i like to do and make money off that is that riduculus.i know plenty of guys that cut firewood as a supplement to their varoius other jobs.nothing will ever change as long as the finger is pointed in the other direction.as far as commercial sized fish they have been decimated by everone that fishs both recs and commercials,unfortunatly when things are good everyone wants in,the lack of fish is the best thing that can bring the fish back just as it did in the past few centuries

On 7/25/2019 at 6:15 PM, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Most of those fish all came from the canal

Most came/ come from Boock Island 

i think you might have gone a little high,it gets worse by the week.less than a 1000 fish a day if the average is 20lbs.i,d bet boston harbour and north of boston is giving up the most poundage.that is legal poundage

12 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

so i like to ski,and one of the ways i can afford to ski is by coaching,i like to do woodwork so i build and sell things out of wood,i like to build houses so i work constuction here and there,i like to fish so i sell some fish,is that all ridiculous. i have no real job never have,i do what i like to do and make money off that is that riduculus.i know plenty of guys that cut firewood as a supplement to their varoius other jobs.nothing will ever change as long as the finger is pointed in the other direction.as far as commercial sized fish they have been decimated by everone that fishs both recs and commercials,unfortunatly when things are good everyone wants in,the lack of fish is the best thing that can bring the fish back just as it did in the past few centuries

Selling stripers when the stock is crashing is a sad (albeit legal) way to supplement a living. Most of the guys I see commercial surf fishing would make far more $/hr at Dunkin’ Donuts than killing stripers.