codfish

Commercial season starts Monday

Rate this topic

319 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pescador710 said:

 

 

 

We agree on a lot,Terry, but I and many others are just sick of you talking down to us from your high horse.

My opinion is always speak only for yourself......unnamed others is usually just an attempt at false gang mentality.

just my 2 cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, catatonic said:

My opinion is always speak only for yourself......unnamed others is usually just an attempt at false gang mentality.

just my 2 cents.

you both could always list you supporters/believers.    my .02 $

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FizzyFish said:

you both could always list you supporters/believers.    my .02 $

Mark me down as one of Terry’s supporters (and he’s a good friend)

I’ve fished with him a bunch of times and he’s one of the most knowledgeable people about numerous fisheries that I’ve ever  met.

He does everything by the book and he does everything 100%…He does his research and never shoot from the hip and  I respect that.....With that said if I didn’t agree with him on something I wouldn’t hesitate to tell him......he’s always been pretty fair and receptive to different opinions from what I’ve seen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a person is truly concerned about the striped bass population he/she would not be out there trying to stab them in the face with a hook.  See,  guys want to be politically correct! It’s the cool thing to preach C&R.  Yet the same people go out with light Tackle so they get a better fight.  Then spend time photographing the fish....yeah that helps.  The numbers are in ....recreational mortality including released mortality is the problem.   A true concerned sportsman would not target stripers at all.   Just think about it.....really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, ekelly33 said:

If a person is truly concerned about the striped bass population he/she would not be out there trying to stab them in the face with a hook.  See,  guys want to be politically correct! It’s the cool thing to preach C&R.  Yet the same people go out with light Tackle so they get a better fight.  Then spend time photographing the fish....yeah that helps.  The numbers are in ....recreational mortality including released mortality is the problem.   A true concerned sportsman would not target stripers at all.   Just think about it.....really

I love the drama you throw in there for effect.   "Stab them in the face".     Could you be any more dramatic ???   Probably not.  

 

I am not a vegan, I hunt for food during hunting season, I've put many a harpoon in a tuna.    That said I am as responsible as possible with all of the resources I utilize.   We dont hold fish out of the water long at all.   There is always a camera at the ready so most fish are out of the water for a few seconds.   We ALWAYS support the fish by their stomach, no hanging boga grip or lip gaff pics from the lower jaw.  The vast majority of the Lures we use are single hook or at most a pair of VMC inline singles.   

 

Do we kill or injure fish.  YES.   Do were try to minimize that ABSOLUTELY.  So when we choose to not purposely kill fish as is the case on MOST trips, our limited incidental mortality is offset to a large degree.   

 

When people compare Rec C&R mortality to Comm kill numbers they ALWAYS forget the Comm C&R mortality for shorts.  Funny how that happens.    Not every fish a Comm catches is legal for them, so they get a similar C&R mortality to recs, plus the actual kill mortality.   Make sure you tell the ENTIRE story when defending your side of things. 

 

It doesn't have to be all or nothing, but educated moderation can benefit everyone.   The current system is clearly broken.   1@36 with no Comm season brought a nearly extinct species back to one of the best fisheries any of us have ever seen.     Things went downhill when the Rec limit was dropped and the Comm season opened up.    Those are FACTS.    They can not be argued.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, ekelly33 said:

If a person is truly concerned about the striped bass population he/she would not be out there trying to stab them in the face with a hook.  See,  guys want to be politically correct! It’s the cool thing to preach C&R.  Yet the same people go out with light Tackle so they get a better fight.  Then spend time photographing the fish....yeah that helps.  The numbers are in ....recreational mortality including released mortality is the problem.   A true concerned sportsman would not target stripers at all.   Just think about it.....really

I don’t buy into the released mortality hype.......I don’t doubt some die but I’ve spent a lot of time fishing Race point and on the beach there.......used to be in June you could kayak out into the fleet and catch 25lb fish all day.......thousands of them being caught and released yet only a handful of them floating around dead or dying.

I love striper fishing.......I’m going to be completely honest....if I didn’t love to fish for them.......I’d probably care a whole lot less about the health of the stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Riptide said:

I chose not to respond because to do so was only going to embarrass you.  But since you asked.  

 

First it sucks you lost your job.  I feel for you.   But it you are a shore bound Comm you are legally allowed 2 fish per  day.  Lets assume you slay giants and you are above the average 18-21# fish sold.   Lets give you a 25# average.  So you get 100# of fish a week if you are not cheating or poaching.  Lets say your fish are AMAZING and you get $4 a pound.   You are getting $1600 a month before expenses.   You could work at McDonalds and make that.   But here is the thing.   YOU DON"T WANT TO.   You would RATHER be fishing.   I'm curious, did you and your family survive on $1600 a month ?  Was the timing of Comm season so perfect that you lost your job just as the season opened and found one a few months later when it closed?  Did you collect unemployment while you were out of work to help you along?   .....Hmmmmmm Did you report your income from striper fishing to the Unemployment people if you did?   So many questions it was hard to respond without making you look like you were lazy or gaming the system for your own enjoyment.   

 

Not pointing fingers of course, but I just want to have all the facts while you are busy not shedding a tear for guys that busted their asses to start a REAL business, spend hard earned money to purchase boats and equipment while you were screwing off at the canal for a few bucks a day instead of getting a real job.   

 

Is that the response you expected?

 

I’m staying out of the argumentative side of this thread but just wanted to clarify. You are saying $4 a pound is the high end of bass and if we implemented your strategy it would be $5-7. Last year the lowest price I saw was $4.75 and the highest was $6.85. Just wanted to clarify that if he sold his $100 of bass a week he’s looking at about 5-700

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I would be willing to sing off on a moratorium as well. 1 at 36in being the least.

Hard to be on both sides of the fence, I bet it gets uncomfortable. 

 

You support a moratorium, you support 1@36”, but you occasionally commercial fish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, ged said:

Hard to be on both sides of the fence, I bet it gets uncomfortable. 

 

You support a moratorium, you support 1@36”, but you occasionally commercial fish?

Not hard I could care less honestly. I'll Sustainably commercial fish until that's done. I like to see my part of the quota be from someone who is in state and follows the rules and doesnt cheat. Even though my part is small probably around 10 to 20 fish a year it's all caught using practical practices like being careful with shorts and what not. I look at if I dont get them someone else who just doesnt care about the fish will. Commercial bass isnt a big financial gain for anyone even the serious commercial fisherman. I knew plenty of lobster and dogfish boats out of Chatham who would pass schools of feeding fish just because it's not economically worth their time for them when they could be tending their gear for a more consistent pay. I just want to see the well being of the species. There are plenty of other options for me to fish for whether it be bluegill in a pond or bluefish from the beach. It all puts a bend in my pole at the end of the day.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Not hard I could care less honestly. I'll Sustainably commercial fish until that's done. I like to see my part of the quota be from someone who is in state and follows the rules and doesnt cheat. Even though my part is small probably around 10 to 20 fish a year it's all caught using practical practices like being careful with shorts and what not. I look at if I dont get them someone else who just doesnt care about the fish will. Commercial bass isnt a big financial gain for anyone even the serious commercial fisherman. I knew plenty of lobster and dogfish boats out of Chatham who would pass schools of feeding fish just because it's not economically worth their time for them when they could be tending their gear for a more consistent pay. I just want to see the well being of the species. There are plenty of other options for me to fish for whether it be bluegill in a pond or bluefish from the beach. It all puts a bend in my pole at the end of the day.

This is not personal. I respect your right to play within the rules, but you can’t support everything. Let your internal compass guide you. 

 

When the quota is not filled your contribution  of commercial bass would not have died as part of the quota. That is the part you leave out. 

 

Again, nothing personal. If the rules changed you would follow them. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, ged said:

This is not personal. I respect your right to play within the rules, but you can’t support everything. Let your internal compass guide you. 

 

When the quota is not filled your contribution  of commercial bass would not have died as part of the quota. That is the part you leave out. 

 

Again, nothing personal. If the rules changed you would follow them. 

 

 

I hear what you are saying. Last year my part would of been pointless but the years before not. This will most likely be the last year of commercial anyway as it appears. I personally would like to see a change and would easily give up commercial fishing for a change to happen if I had to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I would be willing to sing off on a moratorium as well. 1 at 36in being the least.

Food for thought:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Riptide said:

 My C&R mortality is extremely low, especially on larger fish as our big Lures are all rigged with single hooks.   I have looked at it and we are running around 2-3%  

How do you figure your mortality rate? Would like to do mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pescador710 said:

If you think there is something wrong, immoral, or unsustainable about a hook and line fishery that is open twice a week for a couple months a year than you should not be eating any commercially caught wild seafood. And to do so is ignorant, plain and simple.

 

A lot of the guys bitching and moaning here have no problem eating dragger caught fish from seafood sally’s after an afternoon of lip ripping fun at the ditch.

So very true!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.