codfish

Commercial season starts Monday

Rate this topic

319 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Riptide said:

And dont even get me started on the BS that is the Massachusetts Recra-Mercial fishery.    Virtually NONE of the participants are true Commercial anglers.   

How many have:

Captains credentials 

Commercial boat insurance 

Commercial Safety gear 

The list goes on

They just PLAY Commercial to cover fuel costs and beer.  You want a COMMERCIAL  share of the fishery then pony up and be a REAL Commercial angler.    Screwing those of us with real skin in the game so you can play pretend is bull**** and EVERYONE knows it.  

The recra-mercial fishery is crazy. The mentality of I like to striper fish so I’m going to kill them to make some money to pay for my hobby is ridiculous . What other hobby is like this?  It’s like golfers stealing sod off the greens to pay for new clubs. Or hikers cutting down trees to sell as firewood. If you need more money get a side job or a better career. Don’t rape the natural resources just to make a buck. 

5 mins ago, z-man said:

The recra-mercial fishery is crazy. The mentality of I like to striper fish so I’m going to kill them to make some money to pay for my hobby is ridiculous . What other hobby is like this?  It’s like golfers stealing sod off the greens to pay for new clubs. Or hikers cutting down trees to sell as firewood. If you need more money get a side job or a better career. Don’t rape the natural resources just to make a buck. 

AMEN!!!!    

33 mins ago, z-man said:

Dude I couldn’t agree more!  Well said.  

35 mins ago, z-man said:

Z man for president! 

23 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

No other way around it if you have a hook in the water you are part of the problem and shouldn't be pointing fingers.

Your wrong! 

17 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

No other way around it if you have a hook in the water you are part of the problem and shouldn't be pointing fingers.

You don’t think that a commercial fisherman that is trying to kill 30 bass a week is a much bigger part of the problem than a catch and release angler that may accidentally kill a couple fish a season from post release mortality?

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 mins ago, z-man said:

You don’t think that a commercial fisherman that is trying to kill 30 bass a week is a much bigger part of the problem than a catch and release angler that may accidentally kill a couple fish a season from post release mortality?

Depending on the person. I personally used to c&r around 1000 fish including schoolies and what not a season. Let's say the minimum of 6% dies which is far more than that likely then that's 60 fish. The guy who doesnt fish often and catches maybe a few fish a year doesn't have to worry about that. Nobody is a saint in a game where the goal is to put a sharp object in a fishes mouth is all I'm trying to say. We all contribute with some more than others. I know some comms that dont sell near enough fish to come close to the mortality of some of the c&r anglers I know.

Also there is probably around a few hundred commercial anglers and a few thousand rec anglers who can fish all the time. And it doesnt even matter how many comms there are as there is a set quota. No set quote on rec.

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

53 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

So very true.......

Even the most saintly C&R angler can cause associated mortality with his/her pastime.

We impact the natural world in so many ways.

23031534_10210540722258936_2326163076531670654_n.jpg.4ca3d06dff275e98e825f48b8685c364.jpg

How often does one think this happens with lost fishing gear?

As someone who works in a nearshore environment, I have seen this more often than you may think........

8 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Depending on the person. I personally used to c&r around 1000 fish including schoolies and what not a season. Let's say the minimum of 6% dies which is far more than that likely then that's 60 fish. The guy who doesnt fish often and catches maybe a few fish a year doesn't have to worry about that. Nobody is a saint in a game where the goal is to put a sharp object in a fishes mouth is all I'm trying to say. We all contribute with some more than others. I know some comms that dont sell near enough fish to come close to the mortality of some of the c&r anglers I know.

Also there is probably around a few hundred commercial anglers and a few thousand rec anglers who can fish all the time. And it doesnt even matter how many comms there are as there is a set quota. No set quote on rec.

There are a lot more then a few hundred commercial fisherman lol you are delusional. 

1 hour ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

There are a lot more then a few hundred commercial fisherman lol you are delusional. 

This was written about two years ago, but the numbers are essentially the same. It’s mostly the same 200-300 boats or so out there. 

746C25EC-E37A-449F-9363-DC95AF20DF2A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Aaron Barmmer said:

Even if there is does it matter. There is a set quota whether there is 2 or 2000 people fishing 

Posted (edited) · Report post

53 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Yes let those that have a pocket full of money that can afford 1200 dollars for a day of fishing have their way with the bass.

I'll assume that's a shot at me.   So I'll respond.    I do around 50 striper trips a season.   That's around 200 people I take out.  Of those 200 people we kill around 10 or 15 bass on purpose for the YEAR.    My C&R mortality is extremely low, especially on larger fish as our big Lures are all rigged with single hooks.   I have looked at it and we are running around 2-3% MAX.  

The fact they had to.put into writing that Comms couldn't gaff shorts speaks volumes about their C&R practices.   

I respect the fish and I utilize it to make money.  But being smarter than the average bear, I look to the future.   Read the childrens story about the Golden Goose.   You might learn something.  

They could make stripers C&R only ZERO bag limit and my business, along with most light tackle guides and tackle shops would thrive.  As would the stripers themselves.    Everyone but a handful of Comms would do better.   

You show me one Commercial fishery that the Comms have not decimated that needed severe restrictions put on it.    

I'll show you Tarpon, Bonefish, Permit, Redfish, Sailfish and Marlin for a start that southern states and other countries have made gamefish.   

Which ones thrived?   Which creates more money for the community?  Which brings more access for ALL anglers ?

Go ahead.   I'll wait.

Edited by Riptide