codfish

Commercial season starts Monday

Rate this topic

322 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2019 at 9:45 AM, mikez2 said:

but this forum has emense power and exists solely to create income off striped bass. It is a commercial operation which depends on encouraging rec anglers to tap the resource.

That's fine, good on the entrepreneurs who saw the opportunity and made it profitable. 

Let's just recognize what SOL stands for and what happens when yet another new rec fishermen logs onto google and search striped bass. Online.

Mike, this forum exists because twenty years ago myself and a bunch of surf fishermen wanted a place where we could talk about fishing without people telling us which products we weren't allowed to be honest about. That's why it exists. It was never intended to be a money making venture. It existed then and exists now because I wanted to create a community where people could speak freely, so long as they did so respectfully, about anything they wanted to talk about. I've also always been available, for all those 20 years, to discuss anything you guys wanted to discuss - including questions about this site, why it exists, how it came into existence, etc, etc. This is so folks don't have to take to make up stuff :)

Most importantly, there is absolutely NO truth to the line that this site 'depends on encouraging rec anglers to tap the resource' - that is utter nonsense :)  If new fishermen only came to this site for information there would be a lot more respectful, polite and conservation minded anglers coming down the pipeline. This site has never been about telling people to go fishing - it has always been about educating people as to how to fish - not where or when...but how. In twenty years I don't recall ONCE telling people to get out there :laugh:  Not once. And I've never once asked a forum leader or member here to tell people to get out there. Not once. That's not now nor ever been what this site is about. 

I'm the entrepreneur that poured every dime he had into keeping this site running - and completely free - for all of the past 20 years. It's only been profitable for maybe half that time. I'm such an evil entrepreneur that I refused to sell advertising on this site for as long as I could afford to. I would be happy to have this discussion at length with you, it makes me a little sad that somehow I've given you (and I imagine others) the impression that site exists for the money...if that was the case I would have sold it a long, long time ago.

TimS  

Thanks for taking the time to respond the way you did Tim. Look what happened because of social media. No you didn’t see the future when it started and it WAS pure. Not now. Sorry   Just  my opinion. 

47 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond the way you did Tim. Look what happened because of social media. No you didn’t see the future when it started and it WAS pure. Not now. Sorry   Just  my opinion. 

Pardon the rebuffed, but here goes.

Give it a rest kones, huh? Blaming SOL and Tim for all of today's problems is frankly getting old. It's 2019 not 1970. The world has moved on. Things change.

Sorry, just my opinion. :)

42 mins ago, bob_G said:

Pardon the rebuffed, but here goes.

Give it a rest kones, huh? Blaming SOL and Tim for all of today's problems is frankly getting old. It's 2019 not 1970. The world has moved on. Things change.

Sorry, just my opinion. :)

Ok

Here’s the the thing with that Bob , not blaming , just pointing out something. This site was designed for opinion based talk   No !? But you always get defensive. 

32 mins ago, Kones1 said:

Here’s the the thing with that Bob , not blaming , just pointing out something. This site was designed for opinion based talk   No !? But you always get defensive. 

I get defensive because your negativity stifles input from other members, esp new members.  

35 mins ago, Kones1 said:

I didn’t take offense to your response :) This site doesn’t promote any of the social media crap out there. It’s not an accident. We don’t allow people to post links to the crap that’s out there. We don’t allow people to promote ANY social media groups or pages or hashtags or youtube hero channels or instagram crap. Why? Because they all allow people to do things I think are detrimental to this sport. So say what you will about this site but please don’t believe for a second that this site has or does promote those social media dumpster fires - we don’t :wave: 

TimS

11 mins ago, bob_G said:

I get defensive because your negativity stifles input from other members, esp new members.  

So if someone disagrees or has a different opinion we shouldn’t post.  Ok Bob I see clearly now bro   Like I said $$$$$$$$$’

10 mins ago, bob_G said:

I hadn’t made that connection. Kones, trust me, you want new fishermen participating here rather than getting involved in spot burning soccer mom cell phone chain dumpster fire social media sites. Here there’s a chance they’ll learn to be respectful, learn to give people room, learn to pick up their trash, maybe even learn how to not kill a fish just because it’s a ‘keeper’ :read:

TimS

6 mins ago, Kones1 said:

So if someone disagrees or has a different opinion we shouldn’t post.  Ok Bob I see clearly now bro   Like I said $$$$$$$$$’

Lol...how does what Bob wrote have anything to do with money? Seriously, walk me through it.

TimS

On 8/31/2019 at 7:28 AM, Kones1 said:

This site contributes to the scene at the canal. Absolutely does. There are many people who visit here just for that info. The canal only became like it is in the last 15 years or so, what’s the common denominator? This site is about $. Making $. Without some canal drama it wouldn’t exist. Period.  Don’t try to sell it any other way. It’s insulting 

sorry Kones but your mistaken...the canal did not become what it currently is 15 years ago or even 10 years ago...10 years ago I could show up at Gallos at 5am in June for a breaking tide and only walk 30 yards from my car to get a good spot...the current conditions began to take shape 7 or 8 years ago, coincidentally when FB groups started providing real time reports...as for the rest of your post, I believe Tim already responded to that bit of fiction...

7 mins ago, TimS said:

Lol...how does what Bob wrote have anything to do with money? Seriously, walk me through it.

TimS

hey, If Bob's getting $$$ from SOL I'd like some too please...

Tim I like this site for all the reasons and more that you mentioned. I was a founder of the lurer builders trade page. I learned how to build on here and can’t thank you all enough. I meet people here. Made friends here.  Please don’t insult me that way about “my” negativity Bob as it may very well be I’ve been a bit jaded by what I’ve been exposed to. Follow now ?

13 mins ago, TimS said:

TimS

My negativity scares away new meat ? Really. So don’t express a negative opinion cuz it mite scare away hits. $$$$$$$$$$$ what ?