codfish

Commercial season starts Monday

Rate this topic

247 posts in this topic

I really, really wonder what goes unreported. I suspect that not everything that is bought and sold is being done legally. Higher prices per pound likely only contributes to such a problem - keeping a black market somewhat strong (assuming it exists).

8 mins ago, NHAngler said:

I really, really wonder what goes unreported. I suspect that not everything that is bought and sold is being done legally. Higher prices per pound likely only contributes to such a problem - keeping a black market somewhat strong (assuming it exists).

Possibly back door deals to restaurants but I don’t think it would be a ton. As far fish delivered to dealer all of those are reported and dealers add tags to every fish.

10 mins ago, NHAngler said:

Based on what I and others witnessed this July at Area51 alone,  I'd venture a guess that the black market and underground backdoor market is alive and well. The number of fish I observed clearly poached was obscene.

Edited by bob_G

The black markets is more than alive. It’s actually stronger than ever. If they start checking restaurants especially the bodegas and Chinese food places you would truly find out. I’m not saying those are the only places but they are the majority.