codfish

Commercial season starts Monday

Rate this topic

319 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, buz23 said:

I found this in the regulations:

The commercial striped bass open fishing days during the season are Monday and Thursday for all gear types. If an open fishing day falls on the 3rd or 4th of July or the quota remains open on Labor Day, the commercial striped bass fishery will be closed.

Not sure what this means, maybe they only close it on Labor Day and then open it afterwards, or close it for the season after Labor Day. 

Just on Labor Day. It’ll be open afterward 

16 hours ago, fishdog13 said:

What about the biomass past the 3 mile , hmmm nobody counts them ask a squid boat .

most of the comm. guys I run into will tell you there's no 3 mile line...their gps didn't come with one on the map.....dragger's can wipe out a whole school of big girls in one tow...seen them all floating dead when headed out jigging for cod....3 times to date.

lets not forget the charter boats either....they got paid for their trip already...no need to sell extra fish. 

21 hours ago, Wilgabeast said:

So I hear starting next week there will be 4 commercial  days a week .. what days I wonder 

17 hours ago, ged said:

Crazy way to respond to the lack of fish, kill more

Surprisingly this proposal didn't pass. Mondays and Thursdays remain the only commercial fishing days open.  

36 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Surprisingly this proposal didn't pass. Mondays and Thursdays remain the only commercial fishing days open.  

yep they listed by the increase in fish coming in the last few days as a main reason. I just checked today and its at 41% now. With the new moon in 2 weeks and a big full moon tonight with breaking tides. I think the next 2 weeks could add some more to the quota if weather is good. They still won't hit 100%

If by season's end 75% is filled, I think DMF will consider it a success. They'll put a spin on the numbers, and may even try to go status quo for next season.

The regulations will not change the present two days listed for commercial bass fishing and with the 18 percent reduction to the commercial quota listed for this year it is unlikely they will make any changes now at all.   

Back in the 60's "Pogo"  a comic book character created by cartoonist Walt Kelly stated: " We have met the enemy and they are us."  a comment very applicable to the current striped bass situation.  Since this thread (and forum) seems to have a predominately recreational focus, as evidenced by the majority of posters,  I'd like to provide you with some information and sources that you can use to clarify some of the misinformation that has been posted and built upon here.  I realize that some of you are already well versed on what's coming up. 

Addendum VI, the latest finalized addendum to the Atlantic Striped Bass management plan, will be available on the ASMFC homepage early next week.  This is the addendum that proposes reductions in the 2020 recreational and commercial fisheries.  The various alternatives hover around the 18% reduction mark. 

The draft addendum VI can be Googled or Binged now and it's essentially the same as the finalized one.

As part of the striped bass plan, all harvesting states have to contribute information and verifiable data about their fisheries to ASMFC.  The 2017 "Massachusetts Striped Bass Monitoring Report" is an example and provides information on the Mass commercial and recreational fisheries and monitoring program data.  The 2017 Mass recreational fishery, one of the biggest, obviously reflects the recent and disturbing trend of high discard mortality in the recreational fishery.  This report is available through the DMF website.

The current problems facing the striped bass resource were brought into focus as a result of the revision and upgrading of the recreational fishing survey -Marine Recreational Information Program (MRIP).    The increase in recreational fishing release mortality, equal to the total recreational bass harvest, came to light through MRIP.  

The mortality rate assigned to released recreationally caught striped bass of 9% came from a study conducted by then DMF biologist Paul Diodati.  There have been other studies done for fresh water stripers but this study remains the go to estimate of release mortality.

As Eagles Dare posted, The Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission (MFAC) voted to support Director Pierce's recommendation to remain with the current fishing days (Monday and Thursday) unless catch rates decline below the recent higher rates  whereupon DMF might recommend additional days to catch a reduced quota from the original 869,813 lbs to 713,000.  This 2019 quota revision reflects the Addendum VI  18% reduction in anticipation of a likely quota decreases for 2020.  Director Pierce's rational for this action is summarized in a memo to the MFAC which is available by contacting DMF.

Lastly, regarding the Environmental Police and enforcement, particularly in the Canal, there are some promising developments.  Many here have commented on the apparent lack of enforcement,  which in my opinion are due to two primary problems, lack of direction and leadership at the top and low staffing levels.  I've posted before about the former, particularly about the two previous colonels, both political appointees who did little to direct and support the agency.  After the latest one was fired, a professional, well respected EPO Captain was appointed Acting Director,  but he unfortunately retired.  Allegedly there has been a job search but the likely hire turned the job down when he found there was no job security.  The Colonel position is what they call co-terminous, like the Gov. and the higher Mass Gov echelon, and that's why the two previous duds, qualfied by virtue of being former campaign drivers, were hired.  Hopefully, this situation will change but presently the EPOs are leaderless and coastal and inland majors are filling in.  

On the positive side, $500,000, is in the 2020 EPO budget with the proviso that the funds can only be used to hire additional officers.  Last year 12 new officers were going to be added, but I heard that was reduced by Academy washouts so I don't know the final #'s added.  I've been told that staffing levels before last year's additions were at 50% of authorized levels.

Many of you are aware and commented on the recent EPO enforcement in the Canal resulting in fines and arrests. This action was posted on the Environmental Police Facebook page and similar to their June 21st bust, received  almost 1000  comments,  adding to the many comments from of you posters about your concerns and observations of the degradation of the Canal fishery.  

Sorry I'm not more adept on the computer but some of you folks can doubtless find and post the links to these reports and save those interested some time.  

3 hours ago, canalsharpie said:

yep they listed by the increase in fish coming in the last few days as a main reason. I just checked today and its at 41% now. With the new moon in 2 weeks and a big full moon tonight with breaking tides. I think the next 2 weeks could add some more to the quota if weather is good. They still won't hit 100%

...yeah, the increase in quota came just about the same time the Canal went off...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

4 mins ago, makaha said:

...yeah, the increase in quota came just about the same time the Canal went off...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nothing new about that information it has been happening for over several years now, glad to see some one else has put two and two together

Are there public statistics on how many comm R&R licenses are issued each season - resident and non resident?  Be interested to see if effort and results make sense if they cannot reach quota again.  

Landings would be considerably larger the last 2 years if the DMF had not chopped the rod and reel permit holders catch by over 80% for no good reason.  Chopped from 30 fish to a measly 4 per week.

48 mins ago, makaha said:

I'm more interested in the limits of 40-60#er at the auction.   Geeee. I wonder where they came from.  

3 mins ago, Riptide said:

I'm more interested in the limits of 40-60#er at the auction.   Geeee. I wonder where they came from.  

Not from Ma waters.

35 mins ago, Riptide said:

No clue.  :why:

Recently, DEM’s Division of Law Enforcement (DLE) along with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Office for Law Enforcement, U.S. Coast Guard, Connecticut State Environmental Conservation Police, and NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Police conducted Operation Level Playing Field. This action enforced fishing laws and regulations on the Southwest Ledge off the coast of Block Island, an area frequently exploited by charter boat captains, dive operations, and both commercial and recreational anglers targeting striped bass near the tri-state boundary within the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).

The EEZ is a portion of federal waters reserved for conserving and managing fishery stocks. The objective of the operation was to change the culture of fishing for striped bass in this protected area. This entailed a prolonged high-visibility patrol presence in the region, as well as boarding vessels to check for compliance.

During the operation, 13 vessel captains were cited for both state and federal violations; possession of striped bass in the EEZ, failure to fin clip a striped bass 34” or larger, and impeding a fisheries boarding. A total of 80 hours of patrol time was conducted during this operation.

DEM appreciates our partners who made this operation a success in helping level the playing field for all anglers who abide by current striped bass regulations. Agencies will continue to patrol this area to deter and disrupt any illegal activity.

Adhering to the rules is not only good for the health of our fisheries; it’s the law. For sizes and possession limits, visit dem.ri.gov/marine.