codfish

Commercial season starts Monday

Rate this topic

319 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Problem with your statement is the com guys have a limit that is set. They always have. The rec fishermen have no overall yearly limit. They can go everyday if they choose. Ask yourself what is new in the fishery and you will get a better answer to why things are getting worse. A ton of new rec guys joining the ranks is new. That’s the main issue IMO. 

Stripers have been on the decline for a while. The truth is that we have more fisherman in MA now because there are less fish in NJ, NY, CT and RI. 

Commercial fishing of other species with nets are a huge source of mortality as well. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, ged said:

Stripers have been on the decline for a while. The truth is that we have more fisherman in MA now because there are less fish in NJ, NY, CT and RI. 

Commercial fishing of other species with nets are a huge source of mortality as well. 

I  hate nets. On board there. But targeted rod and reel I don’t have a issue with. People have to eat. If the powers that be say it’s overfished I have no problem closing it down. I just think the comm guys are a easy target but not the real problem.

Edited by Tailslap

19 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Problem with your statement is the com guys have a limit that is set. They always have. The rec fishermen have no overall yearly limit. They can go everyday if they choose. Ask yourself what is new in the fishery and you will get a better answer to why things are getting worse. A ton of new rec guys joining the ranks is new. That’s the main issue IMO. 

Another thing fairly new in the fishery is that the only large schools of big bass in the entire state and sorrounding states happen to congregate in just 2 areas instead of being spread out along the hundreds of prime big fish structure. Southwest ledge and the canal produce most of the commercial quota these days. Less decent fishing everywhere more confined fishing to the places still producing.

now there is a talk of no reduction for commercial next year and a 20% reduction for recreational. they state that the since the commercial cant catch their threshold its not overfished in the commercial sector. they have determined that it is overfished in the rec sector though.

1 min ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

now there is a talk of no reduction for commercial next year and a 20% reduction for recreational. they state that the since the commercial cant catch their threshold its not overfished in the commercial sector. they have determined that it is overfished in the rec sector though.

And the person who proposed this likely has a pH.d and earning a 6 figure salary.

9 mins ago, bob_G said:

And the person who proposed this likely has a pH.d and earning a 6 figure salary.

And/or close ties to the comm sector.

31 mins ago, bob_G said:

either that or a monkey spinning a wheel and putting the outcomes together.

Whatever the source of the talk of reduction of rec and no reduction of comm, that is nonsensical. This is a tragedy of the commons issue until those truly interested in the health of striped bass grab control of it through regulation. If we allow any sector to have poor management regulations, it affects everyone engaged in the fishery. This is really about the fish, and creating a sustainable fishery. Personally I think the value of this fish is to preserve it like trout and other fisheries that are sport fisheries. For years people railed against a saltwater license because it violated "tradition", whatever that is. We need to protect the fishery for future generations as much as for ourselves. Licensing and tags provide resources, data and accountability.

22 hours ago, BarryW said:

Whatever the source of the talk of reduction of rec and no reduction of comm, that is nonsensical. This is a tragedy of the commons issue until those truly interested in the health of striped bass grab control of it through regulation. If we allow any sector to have poor management regulations, it affects everyone engaged in the fishery. This is really about the fish, and creating a sustainable fishery. Personally I think the value of this fish is to preserve it like trout and other fisheries that are sport fisheries. For years people railed against a saltwater license because it violated "tradition", whatever that is. We need to protect the fishery for future generations as much as for ourselves. Licensing and tags provide resources, data and accountability.

Accountability is what today’s world is lacking

You know, as the years fly by, and the same problems keep cropping up, I truly believe that it is those who have stamina and passion that prevail. I subscribe to the KISS principle. Tags are so easy and cost so little. Anyone who hunts deer is familiar with them. And they separate the users from the abusers. Tags, tags, tags. Or we all go to hell in a hand basket.

2 mins ago, BarryW said:

You know, as the years fly by, and the same problems keep cropping up, I truly believe that it is those who have stamina and passion that prevail. I subscribe to the KISS principle. Tags are so easy and cost so little. Anyone who hunts deer is familiar with them. And they separate the users from the abusers. Tags, tags, tags. Or we all go to hell in a hand basket.

I love the idea. It is simple and effective. 

The state has always rejected the universal use of tags for rec and comm fishing for some reason. The idea seems simple, you buy your salwater license, pay for a predetermined number of tags, and you're on your way.

However then there's the problem of enforcement. Who's going to enforce it?  We have ample regs on the books now that seem to require a presidential order to enforce.

34% in mid August.  Gonna need a hell of a fall run to make my prediction falter.  Only a 3% change after the last Comm day.  It sucks whats happened to such an amazing fishery.

Even more stunning is how quickly this happened. not so very long ago they were filling quotas by late aug or even earlier.