codfish

Commercial season starts Monday

Rate this topic

319 posts in this topic

46 mins ago, bob_G said:

If extending it to four days doesn't work, what next? Lower the minimum length back to 16". :kook:

...No, the remainder of the quota isn't caught, that amount is considered conservation by ASMFC, and then next year EVERYBODY can kill more, either comm, rec, i.e., keepers, releases that die, bycatch, etc...you know the drill...we are all in this together..... 

Again the anger is turned to the commercial fishermen. The new influx of idiot rec fishermen on the Canal is the real issue down there. If the Canal gets shut down it will be 100% because of new rec fishermen brought to the Canal by the internet. Leave the commercial guys alone. They are not the problem.....

27 mins ago, Tailslap said:

Again the anger is turned to the commercial fishermen. The new influx of idiot rec fishermen on the Canal is the real issue down there. If the Canal gets shut down it will be 100% because of new rec fishermen brought to the Canal by the internet. Leave the commercial guys alone. They are not the problem.....

Commercial guys simply can’t kill enough fish to be happy. Same can be said for the recs. Gamefish status is how the striper survives long term on the east coast. 

I dont want to striper fish on a lake in TN. 

1 hour ago, ged said:

Gamefish status is how the striper survives long term on the east coast. 

Most rec fishermen want to keep their fish, i.e., dinner, bragging rights, etc....AND most charter industry people are dead set against game fish status- the majority of paying fares won't go if its about catch/release....

...remember...its not just about you.....

The irony of all this is that the quota grab by the boats guys is going to eventually bite them in the ass.  While I agree the fishery is in the decline, no one is mentioning the fact that a huge population of the commercial striped bass fishery was regulated from 15 fish down to 2 fish.  Of course it is going to either take longer to reach or not get reached at all.  The greedy boat guys thought they could cherry pick Chatham and CCB each summer and cut out the shore guys and it backfired.  That is called Karma.  

2 hours ago, makaha said:

Actually, conserving fish so they are available to catch is not a selfish thought :)

6 mins ago, ged said:

Actually, conserving fish so they are available to catch is not a selfish thought :)

To do it to at another's expense is. Each sector needs an adjustment to solve this problem. 

2 hours ago, makaha said:

Most rec fishermen want to keep their fish, i.e., dinner, bragging rights, etc....AND most charter industry people are dead set against game fish status- the majority of paying fares won't go if its about catch/release....

Catch and release seems to be working pretty well for tarpon and people travel from all over the world to pay for charters to try to catch and release them. The same would happen for stripers. 

10 mins ago, z-man said:

Catch and release seems to be working pretty well for tarpon and people travel from all over the world to pay for charters to try to catch and release them. The same would happen for stripers. 

Great example.

Imagine if stripers were a game fish and we had 50’s and 60’s in the surf. People would travel from all over the world to fish for them. 

14 mins ago, colby157 said:

To do it to at another's expense is. Each sector needs an adjustment to solve this problem. 

Both regulations need to change. No one with experience will argue that. 

I will I’ll say it again, a commercial fisherman leaves their house hoping to kill 15 large breeder bass. Most surf guys hope to catch a nice fish, and some will keep one over 28” (although many surf guys I know don’t keep bass)

42 mins ago, ged said:

Great example.

Imagine if stripers were a game fish and we had 50’s and 60’s in the surf. People would travel from all over the world to fish for them. 

Except we can’t use all the beach. Our access is severely limited because of the birds. The seals have destroyed and contaminated most of the beach from RP to Nauset. The NPS won’t let us use our own land.  This MUST stop. 

20 hours ago, ged said:

Commercial guys simply can’t kill enough fish to be happy. Same can be said for the recs. Gamefish status is how the striper survives long term on the east coast. 

Problem with your statement is the com guys have a limit that is set. They always have. The rec fishermen have no overall yearly limit. They can go everyday if they choose. Ask yourself what is new in the fishery and you will get a better answer to why things are getting worse. A ton of new rec guys joining the ranks is new. That’s the main issue IMO.