codfish

Commercial season starts Monday

Rate this topic

319 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I'm just going to throw this out there. When I sold a fish 3 weeks ago I was the 23rd person all day and I got 6$ a lb. When i sold a fish the 2nd Monday I was 83 and got 4.55. Today I was 283 so you can take a guess at the price lol. Was still 10 people in line behind me and most were offloading an average of 5 fish with one guy in front of me with 15 with all his canal gear plainly in view with his bike on the back obviously canal fish. 

So back to the guy with 15 fish and all his canal gear.  Do you suppose all the fish were his, or was he possibility selling a few fish for recreational guys and splitting the profits with them?

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

So back to the guy with 15 fish and all his canal gear.  Do you suppose all the fish were his, or was he possibility selling a few fish for recreational guys and splitting the profits with them?

Still wouldn't matter because you ate only allowed 2 from shore anyway. I mean if you are going to do that at least take the effort to take your canal gear off the truck so it may seem like it came from a boat.

Or just grant the shore permits the same rights as boat permits. Not to get into the discussion of commercial fishing as a whole but these guys pay the same fee and get screwed with a small limit because they fish from shore. It doesn’t make sense or seem fair to me. A few years ago what they are doing was completely legal and unjustly taken from them imo. 

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

A lot of them register a boat. Fish the canal. Pool their fish together. Keep them on ice a day or two if needed. Then sell on commercial days. They are most likely sharing the profits. 

18 mins ago, giggyfish said:

Or just grant the shore permits the same rights as boat permits. Not to get into the discussion of commercial fishing as a whole but these guys pay the same fee and get screwed with a small limit because they fish from shore. It doesn’t make sense or seem fair to me. A few years ago what they are doing was completely legal and unjustly taken from them imo. 

They get less probably bc of the cost of running a boat. 

1 min ago, Malsow said:

A lot of them register a boat. Fish the canal. Pool their fish together. Keep them on ice a day or two if needed. Then sell on commercial days. They are most likely sharing the profits. 

See, that's what I suspected. The other day I saw this comm guy hanging around. A recreational guy caught a fish that appeared close to 34". The comm guy ran right over, took control of fish. Walked back to his truck, measured it, and uncerimoniously  threw it back after he said it was 33.5".  BTW the fish floated belly up for some time before lazily swimming off. 

2 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

Still only around 1000 fish a day being sold if you use a,20 lb average,no reason for a price drop

They took away 4 18 wheeler truck loads of fish in one location.

We do not have to have the same opinion about everything and that is one of the things that makes fishing a great sport.  People on my boat come in all sizes, shapes, genders, colors, "preferences" and political affiliations. On this very thread we have commercial fishermen and recreational fishermen talking about "commercial striped bass fishing. 

There is a current proposal by the Ma. DMF in "public comment period" right now to add additional days to the commercial season because the state is worried that Massachusetts (again) will not meet it's harvest quota in the "expected season". When the fish were more abundant, we killed a 1.2 million pound quota in 3-5 weeks and now we can't kill 800K lbs in three months!

I have personally been telling The DMF since 2007 that striper numbers are heading south and they have consistently been telling me that "I don't know what I'm talking about" and "it must be some local thing where you are fishing". I had continued great fishing BUT I saw the numbers going down, I was not imagining it and many other charter boats were agreeing with me each year.

Now look where we are. If you want to send in "your opinion" you can send it to: jared.silva@state.ma.us, david.pierce@state.ma.us, michael.armstrong@state.ma.us, ….title the subject "Striped Bass Quota Public Comment".

I find it "interesting" that there is not a mention of this opportunity to voice your opinion here to the state.

My "comment" is below.

JC

Dear Dr. David Pierce,

I hear you are taking public comments about your proposal to add additional days to the Massachusetts commercial striped bass harvest because the quota is not being filled quickly enough. I have been telling you/your department for the past 12 years you should be lowering the quota and you have been telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about. Now, when the writing is on your wall about the striper populations you are pretending you do not know how to read!
Every state has to cut it's commercial quota in half (at least)! Even that would be too little but at least it would be a step in the right direction. The population is not healthy and it has been steadily getting this way, a little worse each year since 2006 with little variation. Inshore dragging and inshore gill netting in states where it is legal to sell netted striped bass and in states like Massachusetts where it is not, all have additional impact that is or is not counted on the overall kill numbers. I've heard hundreds of accounts of thousands of striped bass in a gill net or a trawler that were simply dumped overboard, dead. Who counted them?
The bottom line is that the state does not care about it's citizens or it's public resources and would rather allocate said resources (IE: striped bass, flounder, fluke, cod, etc.)  to their buddies in the commercial fishing sector. I can only think that such a situation can arise by "graft, kick-backs, envelopes of cash" or "blatant incompetence and mis-management practices".
Which is it?
I'm sorry for "the tone" of my sentence above but I'm getting sick of the way things are done and I'm pretty sure the general public is too.

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters

1 hour ago, jason colby said:

We do not have to have the same opinion about everything and that is one of the things that makes fishing a great sport.  People on my boat come in all sizes, shapes, genders, colors, "preferences" and political affiliations. On this very thread we have commercial fishermen and recreational fishermen talking about "commercial striped bass fishing. 

There is a current proposal by the Ma. DMF in "public comment period" right now to add additional days to the commercial season because the state is worried that Massachusetts (again) will not meet it's harvest quota in the "expected season". When the fish were more abundant, we killed a 1.2 million pound quota in 3-5 weeks and now we can't kill 800K lbs in three months!

I have personally been telling The DMF since 2007 that striper numbers are heading south and they have consistently been telling me that "I don't know what I'm talking about" and "it must be some local thing where you are fishing". I had continued great fishing BUT I saw the numbers going down, I was not imagining it and many other charter boats were agreeing with me each year.

Now look where we are. If you want to send in "your opinion" you can send it to: jared.silva@state.ma.us, david.pierce@state.ma.us, michael.armstrong@state.ma.us, ….title the subject "Striped Bass Quota Public Comment".

I find it "interesting" that there is not a mention of this opportunity to voice your opinion here to the state.

My "comment" is below.

JC

Dear Dr. David Pierce,

I hear you are taking public comments about your proposal to add additional days to the Massachusetts commercial striped bass harvest because the quota is not being filled quickly enough. I have been telling you/your department for the past 12 years you should be lowering the quota and you have been telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about. Now, when the writing is on your wall about the striper populations you are pretending you do not know how to read!
Every state has to cut it's commercial quota in half (at least)! Even that would be too little but at least it would be a step in the right direction. The population is not healthy and it has been steadily getting this way, a little worse each year since 2006 with little variation. Inshore dragging and inshore gill netting in states where it is legal to sell netted striped bass and in states like Massachusetts where it is not, all have additional impact that is or is not counted on the overall kill numbers. I've heard hundreds of accounts of thousands of striped bass in a gill net or a trawler that were simply dumped overboard, dead. Who counted them?
The bottom line is that the state does not care about it's citizens or it's public resources and would rather allocate said resources (IE: striped bass, flounder, fluke, cod, etc.)  to their buddies in the commercial fishing sector. I can only think that such a situation can arise by "graft, kick-backs, envelopes of cash" or "blatant incompetence and mis-management practices".
Which is it?
I'm sorry for "the tone" of my sentence above but I'm getting sick of the way things are done and I'm pretty sure the general public is too.

Captain Jason Colby
Little Sister Charters

Well written Jason.   I agree 100%.   I said the same thing when they dropped to 2@28 and it's been down hill since

On 8/6/2019 at 9:24 AM, giggyfish said:

A giant no

Proposal: It is projected that MA commercial striped bass fishermen will not be able to catch enough 34 inch plus striped bass (all breeding females) to fill their quota. Consequently, the Division is proposing that the number of commercial fishing days be increased from 2 to 4 days per week until the quota is filled. ???