TJC

Which BG REEL

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Friend made me a 9 ft rod years ago...don’t recall the diameter of the first guide...but looking to match with a DIAWA BG REEL...thinkin 4000...4500..5000..range ?   Any help ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Based on personal experience, before making a decision on a BG reel, call Daiwa and inquire if they have repair parts available at this time.

I had to wait five months for parts to become available from Daiwa to my authorized repair shop. Hopefully, they've got it straightened out by now.

Edited by flysully

Posted (edited) · Report post

i have a 4k on a light daiwa lexa 9' 15g-50g, im waiting on a 3000 as it lighter and almost the same size.
i also have a 12' 40-120g daiwa legalis 3 part and feel as the 4000 is a bit small for it. ill probably get a 5000 as i find the 4500 totally useless. same weight as the 5000 and smaller spool lip.
but if i could only have one, it would be the 4000 as it kind of fits almost every other rods i got.

someone should make a sticky with these pictures;

daiwa bg spools dims..jpg

daiwa bg profiles.jpg

daiwa bg braid caps..jpg

Edited by jerome gagnon

Hi and just wondering why my model, BG 3500, which performed perfectly albie fishing & otherwise, I loved this reel!!!!,  here on the north shore of Long Island in the fall 2018, until it FAILED, isn't included in these stats? Possibly because I needed repair parts and waited for five, yes, FIVE, months for my Daiwa authorized fishing repair shop to receive parts to FIX my reel!

Just a question: Is the Daiwa BG reel, maybe or maybe not model BG3500, known, nowadays, as an albie "reel buster"? 

I purchase spin reels regularly mostly based on reviews here on SOL. Prefer Penn which have caused me no problems but if I did have a minor problem, Penn rep here on SOL, took care of it. Not looking at a Daiwa reel replacement anytime soon, based on the LONG repair wait time! :)

the 3500 and the 4500 are the exact same reels as the 4000 and 5000 albeit, with a tad smaller spool. thus, peoples tend to get the 4 and 5k.

and i have to agree about daiwa in america, they are pretty sluggish. check daiwa asutralia for what i wish they where here.