Finally on the board!

Rate this topic

Putting the house on the market, getting my son ready for college, work going right out...I eeked out a few minutes at sunset and was greeted quite warmly by this guy. Felt good to check the box in the log book.  I'm really enjoying the baitrunner, it did take a little getting used to, but I do enjoy this reel quite a bit.

Congrats!! 

Being a lure fisherman, "Don't know nothing about Baitrunners and Circle Hooks" and am confused.  Everything I read about circle hooks is NOT to put reels in free spool w/clicker on when using them since this increase the chance of gut-hooking.  A Baitrunner is essentially a spinning "Free Spool" reel so should they be the reel of choice in this Circle Hook Bait Fishing World???

Shall I go to heaven or a-fishing? - H. D. Thoreau

Veni.  Vidi.  Cepi. - with apologies to Gaius Julius Caesar

2 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Congrats!! 

Being a lure fisherman, "Don't know nothing about Baitrunners and Circle Hooks" and am confused.  Everything I read about circle hooks is NOT to put reels in free spool w/clicker on when using them since this increase the chance of gut-hooking.  A Baitrunner is essentially a spinning "Free Spool" reel so should they be the reel of choice in this Circle Hook Bait Fishing World???

I use 2 bait runners with clams or cut macs. Once the fish starts to run I pick up the rod, reel down towards the fish then put tension on the line by bringing up the rod. I’ve never gut hooked a fish with a circle. Always in the corner of the mouth. 

3 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Congrats!! 

Excellent point, and yes a baitcaster does turn it into a free spool, HOWEVER, the baitcaster mode puts enough stress on the line that when you do go to set the hook, it hits the corner every time, at least it has for me.

3 hours ago, Nbourque said:

Is that the 8000 OC reel Scott? I

picked one up last summer. I really like it so far. 

Excellent vision, sir, yes it is.  A little pricey, but worth it.  I've had it for over a year, and simple maintenance is all it needs.  I had a Penn Spinfisher 6500 that I had to repair 3 times in 3 years before giving up on it.

• 2 weeks later...