Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandflee

Mulberries???

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Neighbors mulberry tree grown over my garden each year and cancels out some afternoon sun, before I hack the branches off anything you can do with them? Seems to be a banner year

3EC76F96-AAC1-408C-BA27-EA9C396459A5.jpeg

I planted a mulberry tree several years ago here in San Diego, and this year it produced really well. The berries taste awesome, and I had the whole neighborhood stopping by for a snack right off the tree. My wife would eat them by the bowl full and completely ignored the blackberries out back, preferring the sweeter mulberries. Next year when the tree is bigger I'll be making jam and jelly out of them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Have snacked on them here and there but never had so many as this year

tree is 15ft tall and every branch is loaded 

1FCFB84D-CE5F-488B-BE3E-D960CF70111E.jpeg

Edited by Sandflee

When I was maybe 14-15 I was trout fishing a creek with an ultralight setup and saw huge carp under a mulberry tree eating the ripe berries that were dropping into the water.   So I tied on a bare hook and put a mulberry on, and spent the next 30+ minutes trying to land a yardstick-length carp on 4lb test. 

So I guess you're stocked up on carp bait :shrug:

We have a row of mature ones on the edge of the property. MIL takes an old vinyl shower curtain and a long bamboo pole and rattles the trees till the berries fall in. We freeze them. Lots of pies and some wine. Luv em. Tip: if you freeze them in a large ziplock, just drop the frozen bag on the floor and the remaining stems fall right off. We use a blueberry pie recipe and sub the mulberries.

1 hour ago, iceberg57 said:

We have a row of mature ones on the edge of the property. MIL takes an old vinyl shower curtain and a long bamboo pole and rattles the trees till the berries fall in. We freeze them. Lots of pies and some wine. Luv em. Tip: if you freeze them in a large ziplock, just drop the frozen bag on the floor and the remaining stems fall right off. We use a blueberry pie recipe and sub the mulberries.

good to know, picking the stems was a PITA

Back in the late 60's and early 70's when I was a kid/teenager, the park up the street from my house where the neighborhood kids made a ad hoc baseball field (sometimes it was two on two, and if you hit the ball over the fence onto Route 3 going into NYC, that was and out.....don't know how many times we risked our lives crossing 3 lanes of traffic to chase down an over hit ball... :eek::o) there was a mulberry tree. 

We used to gorge ourselves on them in late June and early July.

Once I grew up and moved away, never saw them again until just recently. But great memories of picking the berries from that tree and popping them into our mouths. :)