ghost

super gluing knots

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I fish with a guy who super glues all his knots, I have never glued my knots.  He claims its like a belt and suspenders approach doesn't need it but it can't hurt.

My question is "does it damage the line or knot" is there a negative to using glue?

I tried it and it felt like the diameter of the mono shrunk and it got sort of gritty. Don’t trust it.   I’ve used Pliobond and that works fine.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My understanding was that supergluing the knot can seriously weaken it as the knot is tied in such a way to distribute the tension over the length of the line which is held in friction and superglue completely removes that aspect but I never dis any research into it.

Edited by CoffeeHangover

I’ve used super glue, pliobond, hard as nails and even epoxy on knots.  To be perfectly honest I’m not really sure that any type of adhesive on a knot has any effect at all, either good or bad. I first tried glue, years ago, when I started fly fishing and I just let it carry over into my conventional tackle rigging. I will say this; a well tied/constructed knot is the most important consideration when rigging your lines. Glue may add a little extra security to your connection but tying your knot correctly in the first place is critical. I have read that some feel glue is bad for knots but I have not experienced anything detrimental myself.

I agree with others. A well tied knot like a fg knot is super strong without the mess and hassle of glue. When I snag it amazes me how much it takes to break the line even when using light line for back bay fluke. I do test a lot of my knots at home when I pre tie them so I know though

The only knot I glue is an FG knot, and the only part is the finish, and only if I am not in the field..  The FG's structure is (almost) unique among knots in that it doesn't put any locking pressure on the finish.  I tie a good seven turn uni (or turn that into a Rizutto), but that finish is still hanging out there ready to get loosened as it passes repeatedly through the guides.  A tiny drop of glue on that uni is cheap insurance against the obvious weak link in the FG.

First you put super glue with small brush strokes only in direction from hook to rod, then

you cross you legs twice, left on right and after right on left; then

stand on right, leg with left feet in the air, touching tows with left hand and while standing

with right hand throw kosher salt three times over left shoulder.

IMPORTANT

This all has to be done during a very first  young moon after the third Sunday after you experienced your first snap of line while fishing on windy days without rain.

Secret is out so it had to be said.

What would applying any type of adhesive do to strengthen a knot other than to prevent the line from "moving" and clenching down further? I dunno man, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me, although weirder #$% works. I'm no engineer, far from it. I guess it could penetrate braided line but I don't know about making it stronger. Then again braid manufacturers coat their lines a la PP super slick. If I had to guess I would say it probably does next to nothing, or more harm than good. Like a previous poster said it could even react with the line causing it to weaken. I'd suggest a strong knot and then you don't have to worry. HTH.

A properly tied knot doesn't need glue.

15 or so years ago I glued stren 40lb fluro on  a silly rigging test......it broke in my hand and looked like it melted smooth

Glue can help to keep braid tags from backing out

I use it on hollow core serves

For pr and fg knots you can rub a hot glue stick prior to really cinching them down....and it'll keep it place but a burnt tag end is more permanent.

...I've been rubbing hot glue sticks on sharpened hooks and I swear it keeps em rust free longer.

I just keep one attached to my hook sharpening lanyard.

3 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

A properly tied knot doesn't need glue.

15 or so years ago I glued stren 40lb fluro on  a silly rigging test......it broke in my hand and looked like it melted smooth

Glue can help to keep braid tags from backing out

I use it on hollow core serves

For pr and fg knots you can rub a hot glue stick prior to really cinching them down....and it'll keep it place but a burnt tag end is more permanent.

...I've been rubbing hot glue sticks on sharpened hooks and I swear it keeps em rust free longer.

I just keep one attached to my hook sharpening lanyard.

Could you elaborate on hot glue procedure. For knots as well as keeping hooks sharp.