Is posting any thing that includes

Rate this topic

Angler #1

24 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

I would argue that people on the Massachusetts section of SOL have shown the restraint. The Main Forum has some particular Canal advertisers over the past several days.

I guess I should have qualified that I was speaking only of the Mass forum. I don't monitor the Main that much. 

Pfantum Pfishah

25 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

That is why I felt a need to bring this topic up for some sort of discussion, after I had spoke to a few non Massachusetts plates early in the week Glad to see that at least some one else noticed it besides me. I only ask if more could be done so that we have a uniform process all the way around ?

Instead of just a saltwater license Taxachussets could boost the coffers by adding a Canal license. Won’t be cheap nor would it be fair to the dedicated stewards of fishing but it would deter the masses. Grandfather people in under certain conditions: veterans, active duty, elderly, people who vomit when Liz Warren opens her yapper.

Non Massachusetts residents fee would be ridiculous!!! Note: there is plenty of ocean in Jersey, NY, and CT. 

Scan your license at one of three kiosks on each side when you arrive; if you don’t and are approached by the newly appointed Ditch Meter Maid you’re in big trouble! Anyone caught fishing without a Canal license must pay a triple fine and cannot fish there for an entire calendar year from the date of the infraction. May the Good Lord have mercy on your soul if you are caught with a short fish or more than one :beatin:

Upon renewal of the Canal license the already exorbitant fee increases by a third for someone in this category. Any other infractions gets the person banned for two years plus community service picking up the trash along the rip rap. Local sheriff always needs publicity.

Prhaps another idea would be to jamm all cellphones from any one fishing the canal with emergency phones hooked up like they once did on the Mass Highways

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

On 6/22/2019 at 8:05 AM, aglenn said:

Doesn't help when everyone tags everything that happens down there as a blitz.  I can't tell you the amount of mornings where it's like perfectly ok fishing, you might get 1 or 2, see a couple hits on top, see a little bit of bait, good morning all around, but by no means a blitz or feeding frenzy or anything of the sort.

Then you go online or talk to someone else that was there and all of a sudden the words blitz and feeding frenzy and everything else are being thrown around like nothing.  I'm pretty convinced a large part of the problem is people unnecessarily hyping it up.  I've caught my share down there and experienced almost as much as you could hope to in 10+ years.  Still on any given day I feel like 90% of the guys fishing will not even get a hit, yet someone posts online that there are 50s cruising the canal pushing macks and squid into the parking lot and you can catch them on a beer can because everything is working.  It has never added up to me - someone mentioned it early, it must just be the tackle shops or something with some skin in the game... 

Even the OP is somewhat guilty of false hype! Any loser can't just pull up to the canal and catch cows. There are limited opportunities at certain times and tides, fish can be picky, long accurate casts may be necessary, and long periods of inactivity are absolutely the norm. If the goal here was to deter folks from unduly promoting the canal, the OP has failed! I think they call it irony... :dismay:

Out of the entirety and totality of fishing done at the CCC, I'd estimate a frighteningly low percentage of anglers land quality fish. Yes it sucks when you can't get any parking or a rock to claim at 3 in the morning but the puffery and promotion is widespread, ongoing, and overblown. If you don't want folks to talk about it... then don't talk about it yourself!

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  

~Henry David Thoreau
(member formerly known as MV Bluefish)

49 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Even the OP is somewhat guilty of false hype! Any loser can't just pull up to the canal and catch cows. There are limited opportunities at certain times and tides, fish can be picky, long accurate casts may be necessary, and long periods of inactivity are absolutely the norm. If the goal here was to deter folks from unduly promoting the canal, the OP has failed! I think they call it irony... :dismay:

Out of the entirety and totality of fishing done at the CCC, I'd estimate a frighteningly low percentage of anglers land quality fish. Yes it sucks when you can't get any parking or a rock to claim at 3 in the morning but the puffery and promotion is widespread, ongoing, and overblown. If you don't want folks to talk about it... then don't talk about it yourself!

And how. Well said.

The Sultan of Sluggo