Maybe discuss self-promotion and ethics?

Rate this topic

Livefreeordie

27 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

if you ask that you must not fish it because hell yes you can...

I don’t fish but I know I could drive up there today with my GoPro and slay some cows. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

As to self promotion and ethics there was a group of well know anglers that were part of this site that were very good at this sort of thing posting pictures of fish they didn't catch picture of fish that others caught posting pictures of the same fish in different locations and so on so this type of thing is nothing new

52 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Can you really burn the canal on a good  tide in the summer? It’s like napalming a nuclear bomb site. 

Yes.  The good tides will be crowded regardless but they can get worse.  There are 3 types that fish the canal on the "breaking tides"

1) regulars and/or visitors that planned to fish those tides regardless of reports

2) regulars/visitors that have those tides 'ear marked' but wait for confirmation on a bite (and I have been guilty of this on more than one occasion).  "I may or may not take vacation time week of June XYZ...."

3) regulars/visitors that haven't a clue what "breaking tide" even means and react only to reports.  

So, in theory, real time reports open the place up to 2 of 3 groups.  I'm generalizing but you get the point.

Edited by FoliFish

15 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I don’t fish but I know I could drive up there today with my GoPro and slay some cows. 

You *might* have to fish when planning to slay cows.

Jus' sayin'.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

Be safe, be smart, be kind.--Gary Crocker, Maine Humorist/Philosopher

14 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

As to self promotion and ethics there was a group of well know anglers that were part of this site that were very good at this sort of thing posting pictures of fish they didn't catch picture of fish that others caught posting pictures of the same fish in different locations and so on so this type of thing is nothing new

Wasn't Alberto known to do that years ago in M.....like some next level type ninja mis direct type stuff......Kudos :)

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

I might stand corrected if noodling is considered fishing.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."--M. Mead

15 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Yes.  The good tides will be crowded regardless but they can get worse.  There are 3 types that fish the canal on the "breaking tides"

1) regulars and/or visitors that planned to fish those tides regardless of reports

2) regulars/visitors that have those tides 'ear marked' but wait for confirmation on a bite (and I have been guilty of this on more than one occasion).  "I may or may not take vacation time week of June XYZ...."

3) regulars/visitors that haven't a clue what "breaking tide" even means and react only to reports.  

So, in theory, real time reports open the place up to 2 of 3 groups.  I'm generalizing but you get the point.

I more than understand. I know it can always get more crowded than it currently is. I know reports (whether internetz, cell phone, whatever) makes it worse but the place is toast already. I just a bit more now. 

It’s no secret, the entire world knows about it. It comes down to the flexibility to get there at a moments notice. I certainly can’t swing it. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

What's the best noodlin' tide for canal?

Pretty sure some others in this thread are especially sensitive to spot burns because (around here) there are a few spots that produce but only hold a couple/few people. If I drive there at 3am and see, but don't recognize, a couple other trucks there....I gotta move on to the next spot. I make a point to invite a dude in if he looks competent, with hopes he'll do the same, if he's there next time. I know nothing about the canal, have only fished there 2x, because I was driving by. But, I could see with the wind and current, I'd want 30 between me and the next guy in line. 

27 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

I might stand corrected if noodling is considered fishing.

This guy gives striper noodling a shot.....not recommended in canal though. This guy shows great form 

Edited by Vaporizor

1 min ago, Livefreeordie said:

What's the best noodlin' tide for canal?

Pretty sure some others in this thread are especially sensitive to spot burns because (around here) there are a few spots that produce but only hold a couple/few people. If I drive there at 3am and see, but don't recognize, a couple other trucks there....I gotta move on to the next spot. I make a point to invite a dude in if he looks competent, with hopes he'll do the same, if he's there next time. I know nothing about the canal, have only fished there 2x, because I was driving by. But, I could see with the wind and current, I'd want 30 between me and the next guy in line. 

Slack would be my vote as a non-noodler, but others from away surely have their own opinions which, I'll guess from their comments about the simplicity of slaying large in the Ditch, include all tides/currents.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

Please accept my apologies for the confusion gents. 

I was referring to the all-but-forgotten art of just reaching right down into that mucky water and shoving one's hand down the throat of those "so-simple-to-be-caught-by-us-savvy-NJ-guys" stripers in the Ditch.

(I've substituted a new background behind Bubba and his big cat for fear of spot burning.)

noodling catfish.jpg

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Good point....and one that I stupidly didn't consider and glossed right over......I know a few fishermen fishing youtubers who get between 500k and 2 million views a month......and they make it a point not post known locations for few weeks.

Views a month, lol. I couldnt imagine that being important to a fisherman. 

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

I saw a guy with both a head and chest mounted go pro on while chunking once. I lol'ed. I'd rather watch paint dry. 

I think we've all had some botched releases, but there's a difference between trying to do the right thing and just not caring. I've seen some pretty awful behavior when fish are blitzing, rational thinking goes by the wayside and bloodlust takes over. 

50 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

Views a month, lol. I couldnt imagine that being important to a fisherman. 

I think that scooby's point is that it *might* be very important to the people posting the videos.

G.B.O.G.H. -- DT326