Livefreeordie

Maybe discuss self-promotion and ethics?

Rate this topic

103 posts in this topic

If you're shooting a live-feed, you've already declared you're okay with a spot burn.

If you're attached to a large fish, and you don't have a plan for either a quick CPR or harvest, you've also made another decision/declaration (not too concerned about the fish). 

If you've already caught dozens of trophy fish and you don't have a feasible plan for quick release of your next one....you don't care that much about a quick safe release of the fish, nor the breeding population, nor setting an example. I gotta think pride or self promotion is a factor. 

I've caught a few big fish, and in 2 instances, photographed them then released them safely. But that was after........

I killed my first weakfish by carrying it around hoping someone would take a picture for me. My 1st 36" stripe floated upside down around and around the inlet where I caught it. I handled it too long and did not revive it. That was the beginning for me. It was embarrassing watching and knowing the biggest fish caught that day was the one I killed and wasted. I imagined that every angler in the crowded spot that made eye contact with me wanted to tell me what I already knew.

I look at trophy fish in the posing hands of anglers all the time and wonder if they're having the same thoughts I had years ago...that they are now validated as a good angler?

Recently, when asked, I told somebody I had a good night, caught fish from 22" -34". The person told me that that was 'nothing' because they were associated with somebody who caught a much bigger fish at a different location. I knew for a fact that either of those people, if they were standing next to me on the same night, would have went home when it started to rain. 

I guess what I'm saying is that the lack of concern for conservation, and the need for excessive self-aggrandizement is more understandable in newbies. The only way to learn how to catch, handle, and quickly release a 45" fish is through some combination of experience, coaching, and learning by example. 

If the pros gave a crap about conservation, they would take the needed measures. If they don't, they should hear about it. If you're a pro you should lead by example and declare openly whether you think CnR and spot burns are valid issues to worry about. The public should vote by buying/not buying your products

Maybe the next newbie won't needlessly kill their 1st weakfish or 36" stripe? 

If those commercially viable and readily recognizable anglers who sell a lot of product advocate for quick CPR, maybe the next angler won't kill his 1st weakfish or 36" stripe.

There's definitely something to be said against spot burn but a balance needs to be had between creating an unreasonable barrier of entry to the hobby and preserving your spots.  If everyone jealously guards every single spot then it's gonna be hard for the next generation of anglers.  Social media and amazon have had a huge impact on this I feel,  amazon for killing brick and mortar stores which create communities where information can be shared and social media for spreading word like wildfire, instead if in said small communities where trust and an understanding of spot privacy is built.

18 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

There's definitely something to be said against spot burn but a balance needs to be had between creating an unreasonable barrier of entry to the hobby and preserving your spots.  If everyone jealously guards every single spot then it's gonna be hard for the next generation of anglers.  Social media and amazon have had a huge impact on this I feel,  amazon for killing brick and mortar stores which create communities where information can be shared and social media for spreading word like wildfire, instead if in said small communities where trust and an understanding of spot privacy is built.

It's not "creating an unreasonable barrier of entry to the hobby" to say nothing to anyone if you're on a bite. The next generation of anglers can do what the last MANY generations of anglers did, get off yer ass, get off the phone, get off FAKEBOOK and TWATTER and INSTASCAM and go fishing! Figure stuff out on your own, meet folks along the way, IN PERSON , put in the time necessary to earn a spot in a specific lineup. This crazy addiction called surf fishing is not for those seeking instant gratification , it takes time , dedication, lots of sleep depravation and some luck. 

20 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

When I started you needed to go fishing to find spots. If you got lucky an old guy showed you the ropes and send you on your way to catch fish. Part of fishing from shore is how difficult it was for most. The guys that put in the time got fish the other guys quit. Now anyone can catch because you just look it up and find out how from other idiots willing to post everything. This has made overcrowding terrible. No way back now just need to look for spots nobody else fishes. Still many guys out that fish a few spots they will never tell anyone about. Why? Because they get it. 

Not all fish landings go according to plan.....I had a few this year that didn't go according to plan...at the same time...People that fish hard and often...always aren't feeling 100 percent....That adds to the challenge....and when on the water and the camera is out....you would never know if they are feeling 100 percent...and everything is now in HD 30fps

And anyone who thinks they're perfect in their flawless fish handling all the time....should strap a camera on themselves and see how perfect they really are.

I was out the other day......my friend wouldn't have known it but I had a migraine that left my legs wobbly and I wasn't very coordinated...I hooked myself 2x and a third time got hooked by my snap....lol.. (hooked myself 3x in 38 years prior)  My fish handling skills were that of a drunken hobo.

Point being......every single fishermen even the most conservative minded......can't be 100% all the time...

I guarantee you every single fishing video you've watched over the decades where they land....and then cut to the glory shots.....were cut due to the unpleasantries that comes with de hooking.

And how many pictures exist of fish panko breaded with beach sand, dirt, detritus, etc......

In regards to spot burning......It's different now....it's not a report thread that posts get buried after an hour....

It's 24/7.... 

Also I see quite a few that preach against spot burns..who throw some pretty large stones.....who then spot burn on their social media..........

Not at all pointing at anyone who's posted yet here......but....there are plenty I've seen  rail against it....just to proudly post on their social media without using so much as applying a free downloadable phone picture filter app.

post anything you want, just not on real time.....all dipchit had to do is wait a few days and say something vague like a June tide, recently, one of the first pushes of great fish, a june squid massacre etc....anything really. 

people can do with legally caught fish whatever they want, IMO...but if you are going to release is, definitely take extra care. 

7 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I was out the other day......my friend wouldn't have known it but I had a migraine that left my legs wobbly and I wasn't very coordinated...I hooked myself 2x and a third time got hooked by my snap....lol.. (hooked myself 3x in 38 years prior)  My fish handling skills were that of a drunken hobo.

Hey, I don't fish and drink, at least not at the same time. :laugh:   One of the reason why many of the good people don't want say anything anymore.  People are so fast to rush to judgement without knowing the whole story.  Post a general condition report, you are are accused of spot burn, post a catch photo, and the peta people would come in hot and fast.  From sudsy: A wise man once said........ nothin

7 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

post anything you want, just not on real time.....all dipchit had to do is wait a few days and say something vague like a June tide, recently, one of the first pushes of great fish, a june squid massacre etc....anything really. 

people can do with legally caught fish whatever they want, IMO...but if you are going to release is, definitely take extra care. 

Good point....and one that I stupidly didn't consider and glossed right over......I know a few fishermen fishing youtubers who get between 500k and 2 million views a month......and they make it a point not post known locations for few weeks.

3 mins ago, hobobob said:

Hey, I don't fish and drink, at least not at the same time. :laugh:   One of the reason why many of the good people don't want say anything anymore.  People are so fast to rush to judgement without knowing the whole story.  Post a general condition report, you are are accused of spot burn, post a catch photo, and the peta people would come in hot and fast.  From sudsy: A wise man once said........ nothin

LOLOL  I was gonna put in parenthesis (bob)  lolol

posting up ANYTHING can fark up a location , seems as if the two "big name" azzhats went the extra mile and went live. WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT is wrong with those two??!!

One of the first things I learned about fishing from my father was to keep your mouth shut.one of his good freinds,frank Keating wrote the fishing column for the LI press,every time he called my dad for a report,my dad would say na nothing going on finally I asked why he never told Frank what we were catching,his response was loose lips sink ships,then explained that how if he told the real story there would be a fleet of boats there the next week regardless if the fish were gone