Best Fishing application for an 8 ' 6 weight?

Rate this topic

yarddog59

I have an old mint Fenwick HMG eight foot six weight fly rod, that was custom built 30 years ago. I just put on a six weight Wulf triangle taper fly line on the SA reel I have for it. 

What  targeted type of fish and fishing conditions works best for this design? Most six weights I see are nine foot. Thanks I have a nostalgic old school attachment to this rod! 

I fished with that size rod, albeit fiberglass,  for years. Good size for  throwing  streamers to trout and poppers for big panfish and large and smallmouth if not in heavy cover.   The shorter rod isn't as good as 9' at roll casting and mending, but is easier to  be accurate and shoot under branches and docks etc.....

Edited by bloosfisher

Thanks for the replies. I want to cover all the scenarios. I have a 7 foot four weight spring creek Fenwick HMG I use for trot on small streams, and the eight foot six weight previously mentioned. For dry flies Should I get a 9 foot six weight or a 9 foot 4 weight?  I'm hoping to use the reels, fly lines  and extra spools I already have! Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Edited by yarddog59

One of my favorite trout rods happens to be an 8’ 6 wt.  I never fell for the lighter-is-better crap.

You really don’t need 9’ rods for most trout fishing.  My most used trout rods are 7’6”, 7’9”, and 8’.  I’ve been doing this for 40 years.  I wouldn’t steer you wrong.

Many argue that the shorter rod  facilitates better accuracy and  tighter loops. I am one of them. It also reduces swing weight (which can be important with heavier glass rods.) Personally I like 8-8.5' rods allot ( even though the industry seems to be fading them out in all but 5 wt and under.) I own/fish several in 4-8 wt. I mostly use them for Freshwater bass /panfish ( because that's what I fish most often anyway.)

As  JeffSod says ( and he knows ALLOT about glass rods), yours sounds an excellent "do all" freshwater rod. It could even cross over into light SW (shad and schoolies) under the right condition.

Main thing is to get out there and enjoy it! You'll find out what you and the rod excel at soon enough. 

Edited by WeeHooker