Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. June 21 - June 28

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

53 mins ago, Kooky said:

The bay smells cleaner, my waders used to be toxic smelling after wading the bay but not so much anymore.

The more pollution the better fishing believe it or not.

All that organic matter is a food supply for the lower forms.

20 mins ago, Viessnamuth said:

Snagged today @Kooky

76CE9791-DC9D-4BD4-85B6-D2348B341BCC.jpeg

I don't think anyone is saying there is NO bait. They're saying there isn't nearly as much in years past. I go out 3 times a week on my boat and come by plenty of schools of pogies....with no bass on them.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, Kooky said:

Are folks still holding out hope that the fish are "coming"?  This has been by far my worst season of fishing, from shore strictly speaking, and have maybe caught 3 or 4 fish at or above 28' (and they were in May).  I have not caught or seen any body catch any fish over 30".  So are others seeing the same thing?  Again strictly RI and from shore (CCC doesnt count) is anyone seeing decent fishing?  Best fishing nights i have had this year have basically involved having bluefish in the mix so the action is constant.  I knew the numbers werent good and we have been seeing a downward trend over the past few years but it feels like this year has fallen off a steep cliff.  

Some folks have stayed positive and say the fish are "delayed" and still coming due to the cold spring, considering we are almost in July is anyone still believing this?

By far worst season for me in 10 years. Lotsa small fish, but not a keeper yet. I think what you see is what you get. It’s the new face of our fishery if something doesn’t change. Just bought a new Century 1145, and probably should have bought a trout rod for size fish i’m producing. Just so disgusted.

16 hours ago, Viessnamuth said:

Snagged today @Kooky

76CE9791-DC9D-4BD4-85B6-D2348B341BCC.jpeg

:theman:

Exactly what RIan401 said, its not that there are none, its just not what it SHOULD be.  A couple snagged bunker doesn't make me think all is right with the current state of fishing, nor does a bunch of schoolies.

Sadly even with upcoming regulatory changes coming for 2020 and beyond, it will take years for visible results. Until then expect to work very hard for those few legal fish, especially from shore.

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

:theman:

Exactly what RIan401 said, its not that there are none, its just not what it SHOULD be.  A couple snagged bunker doesn't make me think all is right with the current state of fishing, nor does a bunch of schoolies.

lol. I cant believe you responded to his dumb ass :laugh:

19 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

lol. I cant believe you responded to his dumb ass :laugh:

the bucket of 6 snagged bunker was too much to let go!!! :beers:

13 hours ago, Mack26 said:

By far worst season for me in 10 years. Lotsa small fish, but not a keeper yet. I think what you see is what you get. It’s the new face of our fishery if something doesn’t change. Just bought a new Century 1145, and probably should have bought a trout rod for size fish i’m producing. Just so disgusted.

By far worst season for me in 10 years. Lotsa small fish, but not a keeper yet. I think what you see is what you get. It’s the new face of our fishery 

agree 100%

I’m not here to make enemies. I’m here to share my reports with everyone else. I thought this was a social group who loved what I enjoy also. My experience has been different from everyone else for the month of May and June. No need for insults. Because of that’s the case were all grown men. My picture is on my profile. No need to be shy when you see me on the jetty. I have pics of pogies and bass. I don’t understand your jokes. Maybe it’ll be funnier if you told me in person. Anyway happy fishing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

The past couple of weeks have been pretty bleak for me fishing the RI south shore. The only keeper sized bass and larger blues I’ve had have been from the boat. And it hasnt been for lack of effort either. My guess is that most decent bass are following the bunker schools that have now shown up on the reefs and in the race. I’ve had a few all-nighters fishing both plugs and chunking just for a small handful of schoolies and bycatch. About a month ago I got into some 28-34” fish and big blues but that only lasted two nights and was the best fishing I’ve had all spring. No bueno

Edited by Shane_O