coastalfreak

Penn Long Beach

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just recently received 2 Penn Long Beach reels. I hope that tomorrow I will be able to post some pictures and such. 

Anyway, they are in pretty dang good shape, except for a significant amount of corrosion under the spool (under all the line). I was just hoping to get some more info on these reels. I am going to keep them as they are family heirlooms, so I'm not really looking for the value of them. 

Also looking for some possible uses, because I really want to catch some fish on them. They were my great great granddads, and my grandfather says he wants me to catch some fish on them. 

Edited by coastalfreak

On 6/20/2019 at 8:44 PM, 1badf350 said:

Post some pictures when you can and i will try to tell you about them and when they were made

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Based on the logo style, the tailplate scene, and the fact it has no part numbers I would say it’s a mid to late 40s reel. 

Check the backside of the handle blade to see if there’s a part number on it. If there is the handle could be a replacement. If not I would guess that the reel is closer to the late 40s .

The leather thumb drag was never made by Penn. It was sold as an accessory most likely by Pflueger.

That is a nice reel to clean up and hang onto. You could soak the metal parts in white vinegar to remove the green corrosion and stop it from continuing. Then you could shine them up with your choice of metal polish. I would not put the side plates in any type of degreaser because that tends to dull them. 

If you do, don’t soak them for a long time. You could just gently rub them with WD-40 to get any grease off.

Then after getting the WD-40 off, you could use a product called “Miracle  Cloth” which is a polishing cloth impregnated with coconut oil. I used it on my reel restorations and it really shines up the side plates. Rub the cloth on the plate with a little force and then wipe the residue with a clean paper towel. Sort of like waxing a car. 

Edited by 1badf350

I would be happy to clean them up for you best I can since they were your great grandpa’s. You just pay shipping both directions

Hehe,,,,,I think you can get a new spool and ht drag washers from "mystic reel parts" but you have 2 very nice reels to fish with,,,,:)