wrangler508

Bass hate eels

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

I've recently read one of Frank Daignaults books and in it he goes into why eels are such an effective bait. He said something along the lines that stripers will hit eels even when they're not actively feeding because eels are known to attack other fish by biting their gills and leaving them to die so they can come back to eat them later. So basically he said stripers are hard wired to hate eels and kill them when they see them. John Skinner also mentioned that stripers will bite eels when they will not bite anything else. He mentioned a time when he caught a striper on eel when the striper had a large dead blue fish stuck in its mouth which kind of confirms the whole stripers being hard wired to kill eels. All of this reminded of me of my own encounter with eels as a kid but instead of stripers it was smallies. Me and my dad were snorkeling in a lake up in New Hampshire when we came across a giant 3 ft eel being attacked by about 5 hefty smallmouth bass. They were going crazy biting this thing. Looked like a bunch of piranhas. I never understood why they were so viciously attacking the eel when the eel was way to big for any of them to eat and they have no teeth to take bites out of it. We swam right up to it and they weren't spooked from our presence at all. It was pretty amazing to watch. It appears to me Frank and Skinner were dead on with their opinions on stripers hitting eels to kill them just as much to feed on them. Anyways just thought I'd share my experience with y'all. 

I've had way too many instances when bass wanted nothing to do with eels but would slam a plug to believe this statement. I have read all about it for years and the theories behind the statement. Nothing works all the time is the only statement that rings true to me. I do agree that eels work most of the time but not all of the time because if that was true why use anything else?

44 mins ago, slip n slide said:

I take everything Mr Daignault claims w/ a grain of salt.Some pretty far-fetched but amusing stuff at times...

This is exactly how I felt when I read the OP comment on Frank. That said, I have confidence in eels and agree with the Skinner explaination of it. 

An Old timer told me of stripers in a tank.It was some kind of study on the fish.they were feeding them eels and when they sucked them in sometimes the eels would escape through the stripers gills.

They would then tail slap the eels to stun them then turn around and eat them.

He was in his late 90's when he told me this.

......thoughts? 

Yikes! Didn't expect to stir the pot so much with the post haha. All I'm saying is that I've witnessed a group of small mouth bass attacking a an eel that they had no way of consuming which gives credence to the thought of bass killing eels regardless of any intention on feeding which is similar to skinners experience catching a striper with big dead blue fish stuck in its gullet. Wether Franks thought on it is accurate or not I have no idea but it's what made me think of the experience me and my dad had as a kid. 

Fish don't know how big they are. those smallies were trying to eat something that looked good. 

Bass have tiny simple brains. they don't feel human emotions like hate and they don't do much high level thinking.  

Fishermen like to assign intelligence to fish because they are always out smarting us. 

1 min ago, Slappy said:

Fish don't know how big they are. those smallies were trying to eat something that looked good. 

Bass have tiny simple brains. they don't feel human emotions like hate and they don't do much high level thinking.  

Fishermen like to assign intelligence to fish because they are always out smarting us. 

Love the last line, I'm sure everyone can agree on that!

1 hour ago, Slappy said:

Obviously we're not talking about intelligence in the sense of human or dog intelligence.  But the instincts for survival patterns are extremely strong with many species...I don't doubt that fish could see eels as an enemy and attack out of instinct.

Frank D is an incredibly knowledgeable fisherman and he's done a lot if thinking about all things fish and bass related for decades. Unlike Skinner,  he has a large ego which interferes with his message. I'm frequently left wondering how truthful he is because he appears so full of himself and his cherished god-like status with his fans.

I read Skinner's story about the striper with a huge fish stuck in it's mouth attacking an eel and it sounds believable.

I've also heard that rigged eels seem to get slammed by bass because the bass is used to experiencing an eel start to exhibit fear when being stalked, and the fact that the riggie has the apparent impudence to be fearless when confronted by Mrs. Morone S, makes her infuriated.  That's kinda funny and a bit hard to believe but who the heck knows. Complicated stuff out there.