BrianBM

Tranny cooler for 4runner

49 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2019 at 1:41 PM, borntafish said:

You do not need a tranny cooler on a 4 runner. I can tow 3 tons of wood pellets behind mine at 80 mph and the temp gauge doesn't even move. If your gonna tow I highly recommend air bags.  I can also beach drive in sugar sand, after airing down,with no issue at all with the gauge not moving.

Your coolant gauge does not accurately reflect trans temp .

As a mechanic for over 20 years I would add a trans cooler to any beach vehicle . Get stuck once for five minutes trying to get out and that trans is cooking . Heat kills transmissions more than anything else . I would do the cooler with an electric fan if possible especially if your using a cooler rack .

Ahhhh, professional advice, always to be appreciated. I'll have to see, in greater detail, whether there is a towing package for the 4runner (I don't know of one, but if there is one it probably includes a bigger radiator) and a transmission cooler.

Something to keep in mind is that the plovers close a lot of beach to drivers in the day anyway. .... OTOH I expect to be driving on some Southern beaches in coming years, too. 

2 hours ago, giant basshole said:

^^^^ this,some new vehicles have a trans temp alert that comes up in PRNDL display,of course you have to be looking for/at it. Also helps if you don't have a bunch of junk laying up there...PRNDL displays are at bottom center of dash display on most vehicles

As a mechanic for over 20 years I would add a trans cooler to any beach vehicle . Get stuck once for five minutes trying to get out and that trans is cooking . Heat kills transmissions more than anything else . I would do the cooler with an electric fan if possible especially if your using a cooler rack .

This pertains especially to heavier vehicles.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Im wondering about this. I drive a Ram 1500 Hemi. I notice on some of the hottest days when driving on the beach, with the wind to rear of the truck,  temp gauge reads slightly higher. I assume it’s not a problem. Never even thought about the tranny.

On the electronic dash computer I can see the tranny temperature reading. Only problem is, I have no clue what is a normal or high temperature. When is it to hot?

Edited by Tagman

On 6/20/2019 at 5:42 PM, BrianBM said:

Perfect.

If not standard, I'll have a ball for towing. That'll do me for bringing a wood splitter home from Taylor Rent-All, which is the only towing I anticipate needing to do. 

A log spitter is very light. You’ll have no issues. Driving on the beach will be fine too. You worry too much. Just buy a new truck and enjoy it b

1 hour ago, Tagman said:

Im wondering about this. I drive a Ram 1500 Hemi. I notice on some of the hottest days when driving on the beach, with the wind to rear of the truck,  temp gauge reads slightly higher. I assume it’s not a problem. Never even thought about the tranny.

On the electronic dash computer I can see the tranny temperature reading. Only problem is, I have no clue what is a normal or high temperature. When is it to hot?

Above 225 degrees,for short periods even a bit hotter. 225 is @temp where ATF is getting broken down losing its lubricating qualities

59 mins ago, modelcitizen said:

Above 225 degrees,for short periods even a bit hotter. 225 is @temp where ATF is getting broken down losing its lubricating qualities

Exactly, and with most cars coolant running between 195-220 degrees, just a few minutes stuck with spinning tires and your overheating your fluid . The thing is your radiator can only cool the trans fluid to the lowest temp the radiator cools the coolant to . The trans cooler in the radiator is a small coil that's bathed in coolant in the tank of the radiator. This is why an auxiliary cooler is so helpful . After the trans fluid leaves the radiator it would pass through the aux cooler and cool it significantly more .

This discussion's educational even if I don't buy anything in response to it.

The 2019 and forthcoming 2020 4runner are significantly bigger and heavier than my 2004, but I have never, ever gotten stuck in the 2004. 

One thing that strikes me ... is that the ToyotaUSA site is incredibly devoid of useful information, for a very specific technical question like this.  No mention of towing packages, no mention of a tranny cooler (so there probably isn't one) and no mention of any radiator upgrades.  For a vehicle that's a waste of weight, gas and money if you're not going off road, that's a surprise. 

I would assume there is a cooler integrated into the radiator. I had a 98 4Runner, and this was the case.  Functional, but a time bomb waiting to go off if you don’t take care of your cooling system.

I bought a Tacoma in 2013.  It has roughly the same engine and the same transmission as the later 4th and all 5th gen 4Runners, and it came with a cooler (same time bomb).

I had/have the towing package with both rigs, not sure if the cooler is part of that package or not.

I don’t think the trans temp on yotas is standard obdII, so monitoring it requires some fiddling.  I think the scangauge and some ultragauge units can pull this info from the ecu. 

Good luck. 

I would assume there is a cooler integrated into the radiator. I had a 98 4Runner, and this was the case.  Functional, but a time bomb waiting to go off if you don’t take care of your cooling system.

I bought a Tacoma in 2013.  It has roughly the same engine and the same transmission as the later 4th and all 5th gen 4Runners, and it came with a cooler (same time bomb).

I had/have the towing package with both rigs, not sure if the cooler is part of that package or not.

I don’t think the trans temp on yotas is standard obdII, so monitoring it requires some fiddling.  I think the scangauge and some ultragauge units can pull this info from the ecu. 

Good luck. 

No doubt. However, as my wife keeps reminding me, I'm hopeless with tools and at my worst with autos.  And Toyota (along with everyone else) hedges their warranties with disclaimers about aftermarket component installations. If the headlights give out, they'll blame the cooler. 

I won't be towing, and won't be on the beach in the hottest part of the year (if for no other reason, the plovers). So, I'll let that concern slide. I am annoyed that Toyota's forthcoming Safety Sense 2.0 will remain worst-in-class, but what the heck? Jeeps are for people who like fixing things. The Ranger (USA edition) is off a new production line, the Durango is no longer 4x4, and there is no Xterra.