BrianBM

Tranny cooler for 4runner

49 posts in this topic

Toyota apparently doesn't make a transmission cooler for the 4runner, but there are aftermarket coolers to be had. If the dealer wants to make a sale badly enough, they'll agree in writing to cover the tranny cooler as a warranty item, if they install it. (I think they will, anyway.) I don't care if they don't warranty the cooler itself, just so long as they waive any objection to other warranty work that might otherwise be raised on the grounds that I had something aftermarket installed. 

I won't be towing on a regular basis, though at some point this year or next I'll have to rent a log splitter and tow it home. 

1.  Do I need a transmission cooler?

2.  What's the best brand? 

Ooops, doorbell, be back.

OK, wife dealt with salesperson. 

In the long 4runner thread, Bronson mentions he likes his Nitto Grapplers, but when he's on the beach the transmission light comes on. This stands my hair on end, thin as it is. I don't ever want to see the temperature light on my transmission come on. I DO deflate, religiously, but the current 4runner is somewhat heavier than mine. Should I invest in a transmission cooler? 

Brand recommendation?

Imho, no. Today’s vehicles are much better than what we had in the past. If you’re not towing, air down properly when on the beach I think you’ll be fine. 

Kia would not offer a warranty on a new car if I had a remote starter installed, they do not offer one for the model I have (Niro). That came from Kia Corporate after I raised a stink (they sold me the car with the agreement they would install one, after they discovered Kia didn't offer one for the Niro they called of all bets and refunded me the $600 I paid. Nedless to say , I am still pissed as that was one the reasons I bought the car, so my wife doesn't have to freeze her arse off all winter by having to go out and start the car. 

Why do you think Toyota is going to make good on any aftermarket mods? Better get it in writing and make it specific, otherwise their warranty wording will hang you with you own rope.

It may be state specific but remember signing a document when I got my truck last year that modifications would not void my warranty. They specifically mentioned an aftermarket starter. 

Several months later I asked about lifting the truck and was told it could be an issue...

in the end, they want your money and will tell you what you want to here. 

You do not need a tranny cooler on a 4 runner. I can tow 3 tons of wood pellets behind mine at 80 mph and the temp gauge doesn't even move. If your gonna tow I highly recommend air bags.  I can also beach drive in sugar sand, after airing down,with no issue at all with the gauge not moving.

4 hours ago, borntafish said:

You do not need a tranny cooler on a 4 runner. I can tow 3 tons of wood pellets behind mine at 80 mph and the temp gauge doesn't even move. If your gonna tow I highly recommend air bags.  I can also beach drive in sugar sand, after airing down,with no issue at all with the gauge not moving.

Perfect.

If not standard, I'll have a ball for towing. That'll do me for bringing a wood splitter home from Taylor Rent-All, which is the only towing I anticipate needing to do. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Brian, A tranny cooler is there to help the engine cooling at lower speeds while putting a load on the engine. Like running in 4H or 4L on a beach on a very hot day. Running on a road at higher speeds you can get buy without one. That's why they also have an engine oil cooler. My Jeep has both Tranny and engine oil cooler. They are there for a reason. Jeep uses two external coolers, each has it's own radiator. I love the 4runner, do yourself a favor , get one put on. You should already have a engine oil cooler on her even if the oil line go's into the main radiator. Also a towing package gives you a larger radiator and a different fan clutch. Your getting one of the best beach machines, make it even better.

Edited by hunter123

Brian Old beach trick. When you see your getting hot turn into the wind or breeze to cool down.

When following high dune cliffs we find an open spot and head westerly into the souwest breeze.

Why do you think there is no transmission cooler? Is there not one integrated into the radiator? No need for anything additional for just driving on the beach. You do not need an additional external cooler unless you plan to use in extreme conditions, then it may be a worthwhile investment..

I wouldn't think too much on a cooler on a new one and certainly not unless ur tranny light comes on. mines way older etc....to add more confusion the light comes on way lower temp than most mechanics say is so bad...and in way cold environments an external cooler can prevent the trans fluid from warming up....u would assume stock is best.  the main reason folks use  external coolers on gen 3 runners is to bypass the stock cooler which is in the radiator too prevent the dreaded strawberry milkshake......radiators in gen 3 runners in general are a weak point

7 hours ago, bronson said:

I wouldn't think too much on a cooler on a new one and certainly not unless ur tranny light comes on. mines way older etc....to add more confusion the light comes on way lower temp than most mechanics say is so bad...and in way cold environments an external cooler can prevent the trans fluid from warming up....u would assume stock is best.  the main reason folks use  external coolers on gen 3 runners is to bypass the stock cooler which is in the radiator too prevent the dreaded strawberry milkshake......radiators in gen 3 runners in general are a weak point

Interesting.  I don't remember what generation my 2004 might be, but I've never had a temperature problem.