Fox or Bilstein shocks?

BrianBM

Yeah, more technical 4runner-related questions. 

Depending on whether you order the TRD Pro or the Limited, you get either Fox shocks or Fox shocks with a reservoir.  Does the distinction matter for beach driving? I suspect not.

It used to be that Bilstein was used in ad literature, apparently for bragging. What's so good about Fox?  Are they any better than Bilsteins? 

The Fox shocks that Toyota uses (with reservoir) are geared more towards off roading. Bilstein makes the same style shock, but is sold as an aftermarket item. The Bilsteins that Toyota specs for OE use are perfect for what you're looking for given that your intended use is mostly street/beach driving. Personally, I would opt for the 4Runner TRD Off Road instead of the Pro or Limited. But that's just me.

Bilsteins have a reputation of having a more harsh road ride.  Is this true for your vehicle, who knows?

Fox shocks clearly have cache in the offroad community, especially the reservoir shocks.  The reservoirs keep the shock fluid from overheating during high speed off road runs - think Baja 500.  Clearly, these are over kill for slow steady beach driving but very cool to have none the less. Fox has an excellent reputation for offroad performance and will likely pay you back at resale. Think of them as the Van Staals of shocks.

Brian, Just buy the 4 Runner you want. You can always add things later. Don't overthink bs stuff. If your buying used, you will have to eventually replace equipment . 2015 I bought a 2012 Jeep liberty for a great price with low miles. As equipment needed to be replaced, I replace OE with up graded equipment. She's in the shop today getting new shocks and struts front and new shocks and springs in the rear. she's my DR and I use her on the beach, I went with the best Monroe's they have. Also she will have a 1" lift on her. Tight lines. 

Edited by hunter123
Capt, Frank Mundus. The man, the myth, the legand.

4 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I think you're over thinking this...

Who, me?

I moderate here largely because I am thoroughly ignorant of things automotive and mechanical, generally, and utterly unashamed to ask questions about things that Guys Are Supposed To Know. I don't know.  I know I don't know. I know that a fair number of people don't know, either, but are shy about admitting ignorance. 

4 hours ago, bospa357 said:

The Fox shocks that Toyota uses (with reservoir) are geared more towards off roading. Bilstein makes the same style shock, but is sold as an aftermarket item. The Bilsteins that Toyota specs for OE use are perfect for what you're looking for given that your intended use is mostly street/beach driving. Personally, I would opt for the 4Runner TRD Off Road instead of the Pro or Limited. But that's just me.

I might. If I can run on intermittently dry pavement with 4-hi engaged, for Long Island Roads in winter, that will do me. 

50 mins ago, Cpalms said:

Bilsteins have a reputation of having a more harsh road ride.  Is this true for your vehicle, who knows?

Fox shocks clearly have cache in the offroad community, especially the reservoir shocks.  The reservoirs keep the shock fluid from overheating during high speed off road runs - think Baja 500.  Clearly, these are over kill for slow steady beach driving but very cool to have none the less. Fox has an excellent reputation for offroad performance and will likely pay you back at resale. Think of them as the Van Staals of shocks.

Excellent!  A succinct description of the niche for which reservoir shocks are meant.  In that case, non-reservoir shocks are fine.

Thank you all. 

I used Bilsteins, Fox's, Old Man Emu, pro comp and Terra Firma, albeit all on land rovers.   Out of the group and probably a collective 650,000 or so miles...I prefer the combination of ability of the terra firma.   The bilsteins were ok on the road, perhaps a bit stiff..the OME regurlar were too soft and hard to control on vehicles without sway bars, the heavy duty were too stiff...the pro comp sucked and fell apart...the terra firma was the best of the bunch by far...controllable on road, but soft enough off road to maintain contact with surface.  

Buy equipment for the majority of your miles...99% of your miles will be on road...beach will be second...and there is nothing beyond stock required for driving on the beach. 

No people were ever yet benefited by riches if their prosperity corrupted their virtue....
-Theodore Roosevelt

Fox & Bilstein are both excellent shocks.

I have been unable to kill a Bilstein shock absorber by any normal means, The only one I managed to kill died via a failed brake hose (While coming off the GW bridge, towing a small trailer, I drove through some accident debris & something sliced into the hose, Pedal went to the floor!, thank God there was no traffic & I was able to downshift enough for the E brake to be useful ) spraying fluid on it killing the seal causing it to leak!