Maine Moose Tag..what to do

Rate this topic

buckmaster

So after 10 years of the lottery, bonus points and extra chances...I come home from Texas and find that I drew a Maine antlered moose tag in perhaps the prime trophy zone of the state, zone 5.  Normally an exciting time...as I am turning 50, it is essentially a once in a lifetime draw for me.  So the odd thing is, I was thinking of giving it away, specifically to my wife and/or 14 yr old daughter.  Both are my sub permittees. 

Even though my wife grew up in S Mississippi then Texas..the only thing I know she has really desired to shoot, even though she comes along on some trips,  was a bull moose.  

I have been blessed particularly in the past few years to spend a bunch of time in Africa and other destinations that I dreamt about as a child....that wouldn't happen with 4 kids and 5 hunting dogs at home without my wife's assistance. 

Also if you have any recommended guides in that zone...please share. 

Thoughts?

No people were ever yet benefited by riches if their prosperity corrupted their virtue....
-Theodore Roosevelt

Cedar Ridge Outfitter (Preferably Hal Blood as the guide)

All prices include both the permittee and sub permittee. 

Remote hunts for zones 1, 2, 4, and 5:  $4500.00 

Cedar Ridge Outfitters hunts in zones 1, 4, 5,  7, 8 & 9.
Zone 8 is hunted from our lodge in Jackman. All other zones are from a comfortable, well equipped wall tent camp

Cedar Ridge customers commonly take trophy bulls in the 50 - 60 inch range and occasionally manage to break the 60 inch benchmark.... and one or two usually make the Maine Skull and Antler record books.

Edited by Sandflee

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

12 mins ago, buckmaster said:

So after 10 years of the lottery, bonus points and extra chances...I come home from Texas and find that I drew a Maine antlered moose tag in perhaps the prime trophy zone of the state, zone 5.  Normally an exciting time...as I am turning 50, it is essentially a once in a lifetime draw for me.  So the odd thing is, I was thinking of giving it away, specifically to my wife and/or 14 yr old daughter.  Both are my sub permittees. 

Even though my wife grew up in S Mississippi then Texas..the only thing I know she has really desired to shoot, even though she comes along on some trips,  was a bull moose.  

I have been blessed particularly in the past few years to spend a bunch of time in Africa and other destinations that I dreamt about as a child....that wouldn't happen with 4 kids and 5 hunting dogs at home without my wife's assistance. 

Also if you have any recommended guides in that zone...please share. 

Thoughts?

Thank you Sandflee...have you hunted with Hal...what are the remote tent camps like, just curious if my wife and daughter end up hunting instead of me. 

No people were ever yet benefited by riches if their prosperity corrupted their virtue....
-Theodore Roosevelt

4 mins ago, buckmaster said:

Thank you Sandflee...have you hunted with Hal...what are the remote tent camps like, just curious if my wife and daughter end up hunting instead of me. 

I personally have not, My buddy Eddie hunted whitetail with him, he's held in high regard and certainly knows his craft (he's a deer tracker, doesn't sit in a stand)

If i'm not mistaken aren't you permitted to accompany the hunter?

If you try to change it, you will ruin it. Try to hold it, and you will lose it.

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

14 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Only one sub permittee per hunter, right? Have you given any thought to it being a husband / wife thing? I love my kids too but I'm not sure I'd give up a moose tag for them.  :laugh:

Its a good point...but the week before hand we will be out in the Dakotas, hunting prairie chickins and sharptails on horseback with the dogs. That has become our annual couples trip...it is the only time we are both not with the kids at the same time.    Its already paid for &  booked....I never plan around the Maine moose hunt...because you never think you are actually going to win...then it finally happens.  A number of years ago I drew an elk tag out west for me and 3 buddies on the first try...it was like a 2% chance..got there and my sons appendix blew up on the first day and I had to turn around and come home. 

The sheet I just received from Maine lists two sub permittees on it, in my case wife and oldest daughter..says you can edit them up until you pay for permit by July 19th. 

Edited by buckmaster
-Theodore Roosevelt

2 mins ago, buckmaster said:

Its a good point...but the week before hand we will be out in the Dakotas, hunting prairie chickins and sharptails on horseback with the dogs. That has become our annual couples trip...it is the only time we are both not with the kids at the same time.    Its already paid for &  booked....I never plan around the Maine moose hunt...because you never think you are actually going to win...then it finally happens.  A number of years ago I drew an elk tag out west for me and 3 buddies on the first try...it was like a 2% chance..got there and my sons appendix blew up on the first day and I had to turn around and come home. 

The sheet I just received from Maine lists two sub permittees on it, in my case wife and oldest daughter..says you can edit them up until you pay for permit by July 19th. 

do your best to make that happen

Buddy has entered for over 20 years never drew a tag

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Wish Buck would take mikemc with him and make him disappear.

Permanently.   

The village, which had stood for maybe 1,000 years, didn't know we were coming that day. If they had, they would have run. boB was at the eye of our rage. And through him, our Captain Ahab. He would set things right again. That day, we loved him.

22 mins ago, buckmaster said:

Its a good point...but the week before hand we will be out in the Dakotas, hunting prairie chickins and sharptails on horseback with the dogs. That has become our annual couples trip...it is the only time we are both not with the kids at the same time.

That sounds like more fun anyway.  :th:

Took Zeke camping with us a couple of weeks ago. He was real popular. Especially with one woman who stopped by our campsite several times and was so smitten that I was worried she was going to try and dognap him. I gave her your website address.  

I'll have mine on the rocks.