Garshark572

Big stingrays

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Hi I'm new to surf fishing and fishing long island, I'm from ohio and just started fishing long island.  Today I was fishing jones beach with bunker and caught a huge stingray, is this common here.  I was trying for stripers but this got my heart racing.

20190619_081411.jpg

Ive caught skates and cownose rays but that looks like a genuine stingray, may want to watch your feet

Roughtail Stingray (Dasyatis centroura) 
One of the largest of all the stingrays, 7 feet across and 14 feet long.

Looks like a tangled mess. I caught a lot of cow nose last summer with bucktails, always a fun tiring fight. I agree though, watch your feet!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have no problem helping people since I'm not from here either. I spent MY TIME over 18 years learning spots and such for the species in my home state, so when I came here I didn't feel I should have to spend another 5 or 10 years relearning everything in a new climate with new species, etc. Unfortunately, no one else on here felt that way and pretty much tossed it up to "put in the time and figure it out yourself, AGAIN." So as for the stingrays... I fish for them in July and August. They are simply not around in the colder water months. Usually from mid June to late August they are around. Look up "Southern Stingray" or "Roughtail" online... I never did figure out which one they are. They are not the cow nose variety (these are around, but the southern/roughtail are what you'll get 9 times out of 10 right now). Bunker... especially BIG 1/2 bunker HEADS will take them... especially after sitting for a while... like 30 min. Off the open beach, you'll get them and occassionally the big sand tigers too. Note, the sand tigers are around roughly similar times, and they do have teeth, these are not the dogfish which plague us most of the year while bass fishing with bait. However, if you really want to catch some BIG BIG rays...  hit Jones Inlet coastguard or Sore Thumb further down (can I really spot burn stingrays?)... bunker heads wont last long here. I purposely take a Penn 12/0 and a belt out during these months just for a tug of war and then go home. Just watch the barb on the tail. As a side note, on this rig, I got schooled, line ripping across the inlet for over 15 minutes of being unable to turn "whatever it was". I would have thought I hooked a tree going out with the tide had it not been for the runs. Stingrays get MASSIVE, and suck bottom, and use the current.... but on this rig I always kick their ass.... after realizing I couldn't turn "whatever this was", and sun was going down while by myself, I wrapped the 100lb mono around the reel and broke it off on purpose. It prompted me to come on here in search of people who have ever hooked Sturgeon, since they get absolutely massive, but there is little information on such things and everyone just assumed I was full of it anyways.

Edited by FishinDVM

Yup very common .. shovel nose or rough tail ray .. they get much much bigger .. Carry a pair of gloves with ya ... grab by tail , flip over , unhook , flip back over and drag into water for release ,, easy .... without gloves it’s a hand bleeding night mare .. watch the base they have steak knife sized serated barb sometimes two .. that is covered in bacteria ridden mucus .. cause very painful wound if it get ya .. 

Had three tonight, one wouldn't move fishing 80lb braid and a heavy action lamiglas.  From what I saw in the wash it went about 6' across.... their here early this year it seems...... bring plenty of terminal tackle....

A friend of mine got barb stabbed in the ankle while releasing a big ray and turned into a months long ordeal of infection and intensive care in hospital with a wound that wouldn’t heal. He’s ok now but doesn’t really fish much and I rarely fish bait although I have caught a few Rays that I thought were 50lb bass before I got them to shore lol.

18 hours ago, Garshark572 said:

Hi I'm new to surf fishing and fishing long island, I'm from ohio and just started fishing long island.  Today I was fishing jones beach with bunker and caught a huge stingray, is this common here.  I was trying for stripers but this got my heart racing.

20190619_081411.jpg

Your bare foot next to that ray got MY heart racing

11 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Also, I'm no expert, but it looks like that is a bluntnose or a roughtail stingray. 

Yes you right I always thought roughtail and shovel nose was same same .. quick google turns out I been wrong for last 25 yrs lol .. live and ya learn 

Bat rays might be the most fun critter to hook up in our area .. they don’t tend to suck to bottom and the screamming 100yrd plus runs are pretty epic .. we had some close to 100lbs last year and even a few we couldn’t stop .. coolest looking ray though butterfly hands down 

7E3DCD0C-2AD9-468A-AF22-06CB4D27E785.jpeg

C7DEE93B-53DE-41CA-AE5B-BD0D1E9B7F65.jpeg