Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smallstupidfish

new (?) fish trap off narragansett?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

saw what looked like a fish trap north of black point set off the reef there recently.  started fishing this area last year and didn't notice it.  Do they usually set one here?  Will it be in the water for the whole season?    find these things very bothersome to fish around lol

1 hour ago, smallstupidfish said:

saw what looked like a fish trap north of black point set off the reef there recently.  started fishing this area last year and didn't notice it.  Do they usually set one here?  Will it be in the water for the whole season?    find these things very bothersome to fish around lol

Will probably be there until November.  Its designated fish trap area but due to block island wind farm construction it hasnt been there in couple years.

Exactly, it hasnt been there the last few years due to the wind farm work.  I really feel they disrupt the fishing in that area, wish they would just do away with the fish traps.  Fishing sucks enough now without having to deal with that crap.

They usually haul it away around mid October

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

Exactly, it hasnt been there the last few years due to the wind farm work.  I really feel they disrupt the fishing in that area, wish they would just do away with the fish traps.  Fishing sucks enough now without having to deal with that crap.

Yeah! God forbid someone else catches the fish you were meant to catch.

27 mins ago, MakoMike said:

That is not catching it is trapping and blocking the natural migration/flow of fish up the coastline.  It blocks the flow of fish to that whole area basically making that whole area only usable for the fish trap, and obviously they dont give a **** about "sharing" the fish with us so why should i?  

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

darn

42 mins ago, MakoMike said:

oh come now.  fixed gear disrupts the ability to fish an area, and really does affect the distribution of fish.  thats why they banned them in AK and the west coast.  esp. in areas with limited access, these things make a difference to ones success.

I don't wish ill upon the operators, I just wish they didn't have to put in an area important to a lot of different users. sharing, a difficult concept.

Come on, RI has limited access with our hundreds of miles of coast line? The area is only "important" to recreational fishermen who have plenty of other places to fish. There are only limited areas where fish traps can be productive. The traps aren't interfering with "a lot of different users." Bathers can coexist with them, look at the trap inside the harbor of refuge. Divers might be slightly inconvenienced and, I would argue, fisherman are only slightly inconvenienced. 

The two fish traps inside the Harbor of Refuge and the one outside the west wall do very little to block the migration or fish travel.

The breakwalls naturally do that. Does less harm, does not block travel. I agree with the others about their claims with the Black Point trap.

Fish do not come and go freely. It's a fence.

The BP trap screws that whole area, i went and checked it out last pm.  It basically cuts that whole cove off/area off from fish being able to move into their.  That is a recreational fishing area that has now been basically "shut down" so 1 group can trap fish.  Its ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

The BP trap screws that whole area, i went and checked it out last pm.  It basically cuts that whole cove off/area off from fish being able to move into their.  That is a recreational fishing area that has now been basically "shut down" so 1 group can trap fish.  Its ridiculous.

kooky, its been a trap fishing area since well before recreational fishing even started.  You can look at documented traps from 1911 in Dr. Oviatts paper. http://www.gso.uri.edu/merl/merl_pdfs/Oviatt_etal_CentofFishing.pdf 

Makomike you are absolutely correct.  Not to mention, not only be effective but are regulated by location dating back to the 1800's

I'm not disagreeing with the legality of it, although perhaps its time to move away from antiquated methods.  Those traps have not been there the last few years and fishing has improved for all different kinds of species, just saying that it sucks for those who like to fish that area.