hobobob

Excess Basil Long Term Storage?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

My basil plant is loving this rainy weather, grown like crazy.  What do you guys do with the excess basil? how do you preserve them for later use? 

Pick leaves, roll up and pack tightly in plastic wrap to form a log, into freezer bag.  Cut or break off as needed. 

Chop leaves fairly fine, into ice cube trays with a little olive oil.  After freezing store cubes in freezer bag.  

Like JimW ^ We rinse and dry the leaves, then pile onto a piece of wax paper. Roll up tight, fold the ends and put the packet into a zip lock and into freezer. Comes out brittle so you can just slice off a chunk with a knife and crumble into recipe. Keeps really well like this. Flavor stays really fresh. Keep the flowers pinched off the plant for better leaf production.

I do big batches of pesto as well, and vacuum seal into meal-sized pouches.   Tastes freshly made whenever you get to it.   Lately I've been roasting spaghetti squash and topping with pesto, crisped up pancetta and grated parmesan.  Simple, looks impressive, healthy and delicious.   

Now I want something with pesto - just reading the above gave me the urge. 

Barefoot Contessa’s Pasta, Pesto and Peas is a great summer recipe, but will have to wait for the weekend. 

We make jars of pesto and freeze them.

You can always dry out the leaves and then crush them and store them in an airtight jar...use it like parsley flakes.

On 6/19/2019 at 8:53 PM, fishfood said:

I do big batches of pesto as well, and vacuum seal into meal-sized pouches.   Tastes freshly made whenever you get to it.   

We do the frozen pesto pouches as well, usually 1/3 cup each. Nice thing about the pouch is if you don't use it all you can squeeze out the air, fold it over, and put on a binder clip so it keeps in the fridge. Spread it on toast! I wish cilantro was as easy to grow and keep as basil. Damn stuff always bolts.