Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kakaryan

Which reel cast the furthest?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

So I am looking for a conventional reel casting maybe 2~6oz for the surf. Mainly for fishing but would also like to practice on field.

I am deciding between these 3 options, did my research and read some of their positive and negative feedback...

Which would be your pick and which cast the furthest?

1. ABU 6500i TSR (the one with silver frame and purple sideplates)

2. Akios Shuttle 656 RGX Black Rhino (or the red limited)

3. Seigler SM

Thanks.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Add an Omoto Chief Extreme to the list.

The ABU, Akios and Omoto cast very much the same.

Value for money? Omoto wins; I use them for field casting

No experience with the Seigler.

Edited by ZAFisher

My furthest may not be your furthest! “Reels are like women, they all behave differently, it all depends on the man”.

For general fishing the Omoto Chief 6000CTM is recommended.

For my specific location, I use the Chief 7000CTM.

For field use:

100 gram and 125 gram

Omoto Chief Xtreme 530CXS (Will Power Version)

150 gram and 175 gram

Omoto Chief Xtreme 630CXS

Will Nash set the US record for 100 grams using the 530CXS.

He also set the US record for 175 grams using the 630CXS.

The Seigler SM is in a completely different class than the other two.......it's terrific for big weights and big baits.....but you have to know what you're doing. I'd still take it over the other two listed.......

Clambellies wrote: One brand of reel versus another brand is not nearly as relevant as one's age, strength, balance and reactions, and especialy one'e casting trechnique.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For discussion here, you're relegated to the reel comparison for the very fact of the variability and complexity of the later.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:28 PM, dcast said:

The Seigler SM is in a completely different class than the other two.......it's terrific for big weights and big baits.....but you have to know what you're doing. I'd still take it over the other two listed.......

Can you expand on knowing what you are doing?

Interesting that Daiwa Millionaire 7HT Mag Surf did not make your cut.  Of all the Surf Conventional Reels  I have owned since 1982, It is the longest casting (and least prone to backlashing) reel I have had for 1-5oz payload ranges, especially in the "loaded with 50lb Suffix Performance Braid" category, with considerably more line capacity than either the ABU or Akios 6000/600 series reels.

Also, if you are considering surf quarry such as Cow Nosed Rays, Brown Sharks, Sand Duskys and Larger, I suggest you look at one of the following options. loaded with 15 to 20lb high quality mono (only the first one is still in production, but the others can be found):

1. Daiwa Sealine SLH-30SX with knobby mag cast control
  2. Swedish made ABU 7000c3ct with knobby mag cast control (Jerry Foran might be able to help with this)
  3. Penn Mag 2 (slidey) or Super Mag 2 (UK - knobby mag)), noting that a Mag 2 slidey can be modified to a knobby mag while retaining the bait clicker

Although I am a long time (20+year) user of Swedish made ABU conventionals of almost every configuration, when faced with the choice of buying an ABU 6500i TSR or extensively modifying a Swedish made 6500c3 to include, amongst other things, a Rocket Reel Co. one piece frame, I chose the latter more expensive and time consuming home built route, as I have not had positive experiences with any of the made in China international series of ABU reels in the 7000 size (dumped them all).

Hope this additional info helps.

Edited by FlatWing