pogie_boy

Ahhhhh a peaceful skunking.. just like old times

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Hit all my favorite spots last night without anyone near by.   I had the whole place practically to myself!

It was probably the rain that kept people away.... and maybe the lack of fish..... but it was sure quiet last night......so quiet you could hear the whale swimming through.

Visited my mom at the campgrounds this morning and she told me that Pepere always said that fish don't bite in the rain.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Some one needs to get that message out to all of the New Yorkers and Jersey Guys I see hanging around looking to cash in.

I think we should send them to where the old guys fish that look like some one from the stone ages. They would have better luck

Edited by Angler #1

5 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Pepere always said that fish don't bite in the rain.

My Dad always said they're already wet, why would the rain affect them?  

49 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

My Dad always said they're already wet, why would the rain affect them?  

I think Pep just didn't wanna take us fishing in the rain... but he was right last night.

8 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

Hit all my favorite spots last night without anyone near by.   I had the whole place practically to myself!

I fished a solid eight hours last night, all of the west and part of the east. The lack of a crowd during the overnight was pretty surprising. I fished some well know spots without anyone around for hundreds of yards, if at all.

And no bites.

Then I fished another popular spot for the morning slack, it was me and two other guys. For two hours there was not one breaking fish. Nothing on the jig. Not one of the three of us had any hits. First time I've ever seen this spot have no breaking fish, for a morning slack, during the prime summer months.

Best part, when I was biking back to my car, was seeing a 3 1/2 mile stretch of canal, not quite shoulder-to-shoulder, but still pretty crowded, and I saw about 6 kept fish, between hundreds of fisherman. I wouldn't try to venture a guess of the success ratio for all those guys, something like 0.000002%.  :)

5 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I wouldn't try to venture a guess of the success ratio for all those guys, something like 0.000002%.  :)

I tried a success analysis a week or so ago. Came up with roughly

4 guys on schoolies

1 guy gets a 20

15 skunk completely

So:

20% catch rats

5% get a nice fish

75% skunk

10 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I fished a solid eight hours last night, all of the west and part of the east. The lack of a crowd during the overnight was pretty surprising. I fished some well know spots without anyone around for hundreds of yards, if at all.

And no bites.

Then I fished another popular spot for the morning slack, it was me and two other guys. For two hours there was not one breaking fish. Nothing on the jig. Not one of the three of us had any hits. First time I've ever seen this spot have no breaking fish, for a morning slack, during the prime summer months.

Best part, when I was biking back to my car, was seeing a 3 1/2 mile stretch of canal, not quite shoulder-to-shoulder, but still pretty crowded, and I saw about 6 kept fish, between hundreds of fisherman. I wouldn't try to venture a guess of the success ratio for all those guys, something like 0.000002%.  :)

I bet the season average is less than 5%success on keepers per angler per day. I saw 50 people and 3 fish yesterday. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, ged said:

I bet the season average is less than 5%success on keepers per angler per day. I saw 50 people and 3 fish yesterday. 

I have been out 3 of the past 5 nights. Have not seen a single person with a fish and the crowds thin out considerably after dark. Caught 4 super micros in that time from 14-24". Of course the FB groups have guys saying its been a slay fest on morning tides; because a small section of the hundreds lined up along the entire canal get a few fish.  :laugh:   

I hope it stays this way it almost feels like July and August nights of years past; when you could fish anywhere you wanted all night long with only a hand full of other guys out.

Edited by CcCstriper89

Obviously the reports for the canal are off this season so far. That doesn't mean gloom and doom for the fishery.

The outter cape charters are hauling 40 # fish regularly this week .

From some of the the pics I see, on FB, close to shore too, perhaps in CC Bay.

....so , they are out there....