BrianBM

I've pretty much settled on a new 4runner

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/29/2019 at 1:25 PM, BrianBM said:

Looking at the Viair on line, I see it draws power from the battery posts. In the earlier thread, you cautioned drivers not to do too much compression that is predicated on battery post power. 

Assuming a Viair 450P, may I safely reflate my 4runner tires at one go, and have done? I had an impression that you were speaking more to bigger and heavier vehicle drivers. 

ViAir rates compressors on tire size and duty cycle.  If by "at one go" you are referring to either simuateously inflating all 4 tires from 15 t to 32psi, or doing them one at a time without a compressor "rest period", the 450P, which has a 100% duty cycle, will meet your needs.  I have a 2016 4-Runner Trail addition, and my onboard ViAir system consists of two 325C (33% duty cycle) and a 2.5 gallon tank. I inflate all 4 tires simultaneous in approx. 5 minutes.

Please refer to the thread I linked to in my previous post vis-a vis my position on using battery clamps and potentially overheating and loosening the posts if you run the compressor for a significant time (battery posts a "leaded" into the battery).  This happened to a friend of mine - melted the lead and the side posts fell out.

Edited by FlatWing

I'd be doing one tire at a time, I think. There's no way I would spend the space on a pair of units.

Thank you for the use of your expertise. 

On 6/18/2019 at 9:20 PM, BrianBM said:

When the 2020 version comes in, come October / November, I'll be buying.

There has been some moderate size increase in the 4runner since I bought mine in 2004. That's fine. I'll get it with two rows of seats, and with the back seat flat, I can almost-but-not-quite stretch out flat. I can't do that in mine.  It'd be nice to sleep on the beach while waiting for a tide. Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 will be out then, too, and I want it.  My reflexes are definitely not as fast as they were, so I'll take any electronic geezer-proofing that's available. 

The 2004 A/C is totally shot and putting a thousand in (new compressor, radiator, and I forget what else) might not get my air back.  This summer, I'll have to live without it. The transmission just ate a few hundred dollars' worth of hoses.  So, it's at that point where the cost to maintain is going to start edging upwards. 

Engine and transmission are damn-near unchanged since I bought mine. Too bad, but I'm not commuting to work any more, so I'll live with poor gas mileage.  Toyota has a plan to develop a new chassis that will underpin the 4runner, Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia, and a major upgrade of that ought to come with a new engine and transmission too, but that's apparently still a few years away.

I can probably do better by donating the old one to a charity than by trying to reduce the price at the dealer for the new one. 

Going car shopping this weekend.  I'll definitely test drive the 4 Runner and Tacoma.  Did you test drive any other vehicles?  

I can't test anything.  I need to bolt a left-foot gas pedal to the floor to drive, so no test drives and no rentals. I read stuff online and see what I can find in literature. 

Two annoyances bugging me about the 4runner 2020, though I'll have to live with them. Safety Sense will not include cross-traffic alerts, which I did want. There is a tow package for the Tacoma, which should include a transmission cooler, but not for the 4runner. 

With the tundra, the safety system has been causing problems. I’ve had a few minor ones but nothing major like others have. I also do not have the higher end version on my truck. 

It may may be worth looking into but in the end it doesn’t matter because you can’t do anything about it. 

On 7/16/2019 at 6:41 PM, Drew C. said:

I had my truck in for service today. There was a white 4-Runner (TRD Pro) there. $50k. Nice looking truck.

My 4ht Gen 2004 4-runner was white - I found out the 1st year on IBSP that the black vampire flys love white.  So did the flying (drone) ants when they would swarm.  So did the grasshoppers when they swarmed (and those Bast***s hurt when they bite)  My 5th gen 2016, as you can see, is dark blue - shows every scratch (who cares, it's a fishing truck), but the aforementioned bugs hardly notice it.

Edited by FlatWing

On 7/11/2019 at 3:07 PM, BrianBM said:

I can't test anything.  I need to bolt a left-foot gas pedal to the floor to drive, so no test drives and no rentals. I read stuff online and see what I can find in literature. 

Two annoyances bugging me about the 4runner 2020, though I'll have to live with them. Safety Sense will not include cross-traffic alerts, which I did want. There is a tow package for the Tacoma, which should include a transmission cooler, but not for the 4runner. 

Brian - if you are in NJ near IBSP, I highly recommend letting Perry Jost rustproof your new truck (he is in Belmar, just off Rt 35).  He did my 1989 Jeep Cherokee, and I traded it in after 15 years and 65,000 almost 100% beach miles with zero undercarriage rust.  I paid one of the Ocean County Toyota dealers a grand to rustproof my 4th gen and lost it after 11 years to frame corrosion.  I went back to Perry with my new 5th gen - removed the skids and all plastic undercarriage/engine compartment panels before hand - he drilled and plugged the door and lower adjacent body panels, sprayed both outside and inside the frame, and clear coated the engine compartment and area in front of the radiator.  I coated the skids with Rustoleum 2-part epoxy truck bed liner, as it holds up pretty well to sand ablatement.  When I re-installed the skids I used Stainless Steel (from West Marine) 8mm hex head bolts liberally coated with aluminum anti-seize (Permatex makes it, if I recall correctly)  every time I bring it in for service, I remove, clean and touch up the bottom of the 2 engine skid plates, but note that I only do this once a year, as the truck (a 2016) only has 18,000 miles to date.  Last December, I went into the dealer's shop and we thoroughly inspected the undercarriage - no signs of rust at all.  I did remove the gas tank skid plate and touch it up around the drain holes (again, due to sand ablatement).

My regular maintenance is to fresh water rinse the undercarriage after every beach trip using the pictured spray wand from West Marine. I also made up an extended and bendable air blow gun using refrigerant tube and compression fittings that allows me to blow the sand off the skids and out of the engine and transmission cross members when I remove the 2 engine skid plates.

West Marine Spray Wand.jpg

Edited by FlatWing