BrianBM

I've pretty much settled on a new 4runner

58 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ChasingTales said:

Which nittos?

Grappler G2. I pull a 14k fifth wheel behind me and these tires make a big difference from the Michelin and the Goodyear A/Ts .  Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

After hundreds of pages dissecting pick-up trucks, caps, etc., you go for the official vehicle of suburban soccer moms everywhere.

He didn’t say Minivan or Escalade.

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

After hundreds of pages dissecting pick-up trucks, caps, etc., you go for the official vehicle of suburban soccer moms everywhere.

A bit of a letdown 

I have always loved Toyota trucks. Learned to drive stick on our 85 pick up and had a 91 4Runner and am always looking for a 1st generation 4Runner. Never understood why Toyota wouldn’t make one now with a removable top and manual transmission to compete with the Wrangler. I would be all over that truck if they made it. The current 4Runner is a great truck but needs more power, fuel efficiency, a removable top and manual transmission. Can’t wait for the new Bronco in 2021 which is supposed to have all of that.

21 hours ago, Shag said:

Brian,

Nittos are the best beach tire I've ever had. Never going back to a street tire. Although I thought like you before getting them on Cascades recommendations.

X2  I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers (non G2) on my Jeep (JK) -  zero complaints. 

Two things I’ve never really paid attention to - shocks and tires. 

Tires, they’re black, usually round. Work as directed. 

Shocks, I have a truck. The ride sucks because I have a truck. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 6/19/2019 at 6:21 PM, BrianBM said:

I'm a millimeter or three short of 6'.  I can't sleep in the front seat any more.  

If it snows, I'm not surfcasting anyway. The tranny light is for temperature, I assume?  You be careful with that.

Yes, you need to air up and down as a matter of course every time you enter or leave a beach. I note that the 2019 4runner has a 120 volt outlet, for easy use of things like compressors.  That's just the ticket when the air pumps at Robert Moses or Smith Point aren't working, or when there's a long line waiting to enter or leave.

Brian - on your latter point vis-à-vis running an AC portable compressor of the 120volt, unless they have made a change from the 2016 Trail (which I have) the inverter installed in the right rear panel by the wheel well is 100 watts when run off the battery, and 400 watts when run off the alternator.  To get decent air-up time from a compressor, you need approximately 2.0cfm @ 90psi and a tank of at least 1.5 gallons - if you research these on line, models like the PUMA LA-5076 pull approximately 6.5 amps at full load, which comes out to 935 watts, since for safety reasons, you need to use a factor of safety of 125% on the amperage (per National Electric Code (NEC)) , so (amperage x 1.25) x 115volts = required wattage rating of inverter.  Much easier to go with a portable compressor like the VIAR 450P.  Please see my posts on page 2 of the tread below:

Edited by FlatWing

Flatwing, thank you.  A new compressor, as opposed to the old one that runs off a cigarette lighter, was already on my mind. 

The last thing I need, automotive doofus that I am, is a blown fuse on the beach. 

Looking at the Viair on line, I see it draws power from the battery posts. In the earlier thread, you cautioned drivers not to do too much compression that is predicated on battery post power. 

Assuming a Viair 450P, may I safely reflate my 4runner tires at one go, and have done? I had an impression that you were speaking more to bigger and heavier vehicle drivers.