BrianBM

I've pretty much settled on a new 4runner

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Regarding sleeping in the back of a 4Runner, I take the rear passenger side seat out, the part that you sit on that is removed easily, and made an extension out of wood to run up against the back of the front passenger seat when it is all the way forward. This extra foot of space allows me to stretch out and I am 6 foot. I prefer the tent but this is a great second option if the bugs are around or if I am too tired or lazy to set up the tent. 

Edited by Bob fishhead Sproul

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Matter of fact, they were.  

You would think the auto mfgs would use stainless steel as they use on fuel lines, i guess every penny counts!

I replaced basically the same tubing on my 01 Jeep xj after about 10 years also, seems to rust quickly on all beach vehicles.

What kind of product do you hang?

I prefer ordinary road tires for beach driving.  An aggressive tread is worse than unnecessary for beach driving, IMHO, and contributes to the lousy conditions on places like the "Burma Road," an access path to Long Island's Smith Point County Park. They make a contribution to the vehicle's lousy gas mileage for the worse. The 2019 offroad 4runners are Nitto Grapplers, and while they may look really really kool, I don't want them. The dealer will try to sneak them in, it'll be something to argue about. JBL Premium audio? Nope. The audio on my 2004 is quite good, so the baseline audio will do me.  No sunroof. No third row seating. 

The dealer will nail me one way or the other.  There's no more competition from the XTerra, and Jeep product is for people who really, really, really love fixing things.  And replacing brake rotors and linings. Not me. 

One thing I do have to be careful about ... only one of the 2019 versions has a 4x4 system that can be used on pavement. On Long Island, it's common in winter to go from dry pavement to fully iced overpass bridges, and on to badly-plowed road surfaces that put one side of the car on ice and the other on pavement. This is a heavy machine, I want to be careful in what's underneath. A 4x4 system that doesn't care what's underneath the tires is good.

There are a couple of suspension twiddles that I need to review further. Fox shock absorbers - marketing hype or of real value?  Sway bars - do they matter if you're not towing? I'm still mulling over what to order.  KDSS, TDSS or whatever that is? Dunno. 

Brian,

Nittos are the best beach tire I've ever had. Never going back to a street tire. Although I thought like you before getting them on Cascades recommendations.

What kind of product do you hang?

I prefer ordinary road tires for beach driving.  An aggressive tread is worse than unnecessary for beach driving, IMHO, and contributes to the lousy conditions on places like the "Burma Road," an access path to Long Island's Smith Point County Park. They make a contribution to the vehicle's lousy gas mileage for the worse. The 2019 offroad 4runners are Nitto Grapplers, and while they may look really really kool, I don't want them. The dealer will try to sneak them in, it'll be something to argue about. JBL Premium audio? Nope. The audio on my 2004 is quite good, so the baseline audio will do me.  No sunroof. No third row seating. 

The dealer will nail me one way or the other.  There's no more competition from the XTerra, and Jeep product is for people who really, really, really love fixing things.  And replacing brake rotors and linings. Not me. 

One thing I do have to be careful about ... only one of the 2019 versions has a 4x4 system that can be used on pavement. On Long Island, it's common in winter to go from dry pavement to fully iced overpass bridges, and on to badly-plowed road surfaces that put one side of the car on ice and the other on pavement. This is a heavy machine, I want to be careful in what's underneath. A 4x4 system that doesn't care what's underneath the tires is good.

There are a couple of suspension twiddles that I need to review further. Fox shock absorbers - marketing hype or of real value?  Sway bars - do they matter if you're not towing? I'm still mulling over what to order.  KDSS, TDSS or whatever that is? Dunno. 

Wholesale to new car dealers and tires warehouses, off road wheels/tires, lift kits, lights, sidebars, running boards, grilles, cargo baskets, roof racks, lights center console gun safes ( we build those safes for Toyota, part of there port installed options) and a boat load of other stuff.

1 hour ago, Shag said:

Brian,

Nittos are the best beach tire I've ever had. Never going back to a street tire. Although I thought like you before getting them on Cascades recommendations.

Which nittos?

5 hours ago, Drew C. said:

TRD Pro model!!!

That, or the Limited. Suspension arrangements are a bit different, and I'm not sure what the tradeoffs are.  

4 hours ago, bronson said:

how tall are you? inre you can almost stretch out? I'm 5 11 and it would b a game changer to stretch out.... on my 2000 runner I got nitto graps on....love in mud or snow but on sand my trans light will come on where old radials it won't......I should air down more I know but I'm on off beach all the time....im jelly of the prospect of buying a new one!

I'm a millimeter or three short of 6'.  I can't sleep in the front seat any more.  

If it snows, I'm not surfcasting anyway. The tranny light is for temperature, I assume?  You be careful with that.

Yes, you need to air up and down as a matter of course every time you enter or leave a beach. I note that the 2019 4runner has a 120 volt outlet, for easy use of things like compressors.  That's just the ticket when the air pumps at Robert Moses or Smith Point aren't working, or when there's a long line waiting to enter or leave.

Shag, if you say the Nitto grapplers are good on sand, that's good by me. The Grapplers or something else?

Any particular recommendations? I don't ever want to see the temperature light for the transmission glowing. If that means a tranny cooler, I'm good with that. 

I'll make a separate thread about Fox shocks. And aftermarket transmission coolers; it appears Toyota doesn't offer one as a factory option, but I think that if the dealer installs it, I shouldn't have any later problems with the warranty, if I need warranty coverage. 

After hundreds of pages dissecting pick-up trucks, caps, etc., you go for the official vehicle of suburban soccer moms everywhere.