BrianBM

I've pretty much settled on a new 4runner

58 posts in this topic

When the 2020 version comes in, come October / November, I'll be buying.

There has been some moderate size increase in the 4runner since I bought mine in 2004. That's fine. I'll get it with two rows of seats, and with the back seat flat, I can almost-but-not-quite stretch out flat. I can't do that in mine.  It'd be nice to sleep on the beach while waiting for a tide. Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 will be out then, too, and I want it.  My reflexes are definitely not as fast as they were, so I'll take any electronic geezer-proofing that's available. 

The 2004 A/C is totally shot and putting a thousand in (new compressor, radiator, and I forget what else) might not get my air back.  This summer, I'll have to live without it. The transmission just ate a few hundred dollars' worth of hoses.  So, it's at that point where the cost to maintain is going to start edging upwards. 

Engine and transmission are damn-near unchanged since I bought mine. Too bad, but I'm not commuting to work any more, so I'll live with poor gas mileage.  Toyota has a plan to develop a new chassis that will underpin the 4runner, Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia, and a major upgrade of that ought to come with a new engine and transmission too, but that's apparently still a few years away.

I can probably do better by donating the old one to a charity than by trying to reduce the price at the dealer for the new one. 

Were the hoses on the tranny you replaced the solid crossovers that take the fluid to/from the radiator? I just replaced those on my dads XJ cruiser, they rusted right through, the brine the state pre-treats the roads with in winter rust everything it touches!

Can't got wrong with a 4Runner I have a lot of Toyota dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area I hang product on and lift with offroad wheels and tires only thing I'm not a fan of is the TSS Toyota Safety Sense 

IMG_5904.jpg

Brian you are one tough hombre to go without ac this summer. My 2006 ac went late last summer and I lived with it until two weeks ago and gave in and spent the bucks. I have 265k miles and will be looking for a replacement but I will go look for a used one for 20k and save over the cost of a new one. 

I will never buy a new car/truck again. Depreciation is good when you have patience. I look for vehicles that were owned by OCD people like the last guy I got a truck from.

46 mins ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

Brian you are one tough hombre to go without ac this summer. My 2006 ac went late last summer and I lived with it until two weeks ago and gave in and spent the bucks. I have 265k miles and will be looking for a replacement but I will go look for a used one for 20k and save over the cost of a new one. 

Not so tough. I can tailor my life, being retired, to minimize heat exposure. Daylight beach driving in summer isn't of much interest anyway. If I do it, it'll be an excuse to contemplate young women strutting their stuff in bikinis .... come to think of it, that IS of interest. 

The garage I use (and trust) said that the compressor is totally shot, along with the radiator and one other component. Replacing them would be about a thousand, but that might not suffice, because there are probably leaks and cracks in the piping elsewhere too. Given the probability of a $1500+ bill on a vehicle with lotsa rust and its' first set of transmission issues .... no.

The heater works, but that's not quite what I want. I hate heat. 

14 hours ago, Drew C. said:

The longest new vehicle search is coming to an end?

All good things must end.

Look at it this way. I've never made a decision that was the worse for knowing more than I had to know about the issue, whatever it is. 

14 hours ago, garrr said:

Were the hoses on the tranny you replaced the solid crossovers that take the fluid to/from the radiator? I just replaced those on my dads XJ cruiser, they rusted right through, the brine the state pre-treats the roads with in winter rust everything it touches!

Matter of fact, they were.  

13 hours ago, Double_D said:

Can't got wrong with a 4Runner I have a lot of Toyota dealers in the San Francisco Bay Area I hang product on and lift with offroad wheels and tires only thing I'm not a fan of is the TSS Toyota Safety Sense 

IMG_5904.jpg

What kind of product do you hang?

I prefer ordinary road tires for beach driving.  An aggressive tread is worse than unnecessary for beach driving, IMHO, and contributes to the lousy conditions on places like the "Burma Road," an access path to Long Island's Smith Point County Park. They make a contribution to the vehicle's lousy gas mileage for the worse. The 2019 offroad 4runners are Nitto Grapplers, and while they may look really really kool, I don't want them. The dealer will try to sneak them in, it'll be something to argue about. JBL Premium audio? Nope. The audio on my 2004 is quite good, so the baseline audio will do me.  No sunroof. No third row seating. 

The dealer will nail me one way or the other.  There's no more competition from the XTerra, and Jeep product is for people who really, really, really love fixing things.  And replacing brake rotors and linings. Not me. 

One thing I do have to be careful about ... only one of the 2019 versions has a 4x4 system that can be used on pavement. On Long Island, it's common in winter to go from dry pavement to fully iced overpass bridges, and on to badly-plowed road surfaces that put one side of the car on ice and the other on pavement. This is a heavy machine, I want to be careful in what's underneath. A 4x4 system that doesn't care what's underneath the tires is good.

There are a couple of suspension twiddles that I need to review further. Fox shock absorbers - marketing hype or of real value?  Sway bars - do they matter if you're not towing? I'm still mulling over what to order.  KDSS, TDSS or whatever that is? Dunno. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, blacklabnh said:

I will never buy a new car/truck again. Depreciation is good when you have patience. I look for vehicles that were owned by OCD people like the last guy I got a truck from.

Generally, I agree ... but.  I do want the best driver aids possible, and Toyota has been a laggard in this regard, as well as with engine and drive train development. (Five gear shifts? Only five? In 2020?) Current and recent 4runners are class-lagging in these regard. 

Edited by BrianBM

The only reason I can see to have a 4runner is to go off road.  Otherwise, it's a heavy, outdated vehicle with lousy gas mileage. Which leads me to wonder why it's available as a rear wheel drive vehicle at all ... dunno.

54 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

this x2...i bought a certified pre-owned Ram 2500 in 2018 that was a 2017 trade in. The guy who owned it bought it new, then put 6000 miles on it and traded it in for a 2018. What a life!

I saved 9 grand over the new model with almost no major differences. 

how tall are you? inre you can almost stretch out? I'm 5 11 and it would b a game changer to stretch out.... on my 2000 runner I got nitto graps on....love in mud or snow but on sand my trans light will come on where old radials it won't......I should air down more I know but I'm on off beach all the time....im jelly of the prospect of buying a new one!