cashews121

Fluke

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Sorry, but IMO, these reports of catching one or two keepers during Fluke season is not only depressing, it's pathetic....something's not right and no one's talkin'....

39 mins ago, nateD said:

Don't think I've ever been through 20 bucks of gulp in a day, especially from the beach.

Jon was into a monster snapper bite.

32 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Sorry, but IMO, these reports of catching one or two keepers during Fluke season is not only depressing, it's pathetic....something's not right and no one's talkin'....

Not to worry - Those shorts won't be shorts for netters.

1 hour ago, BillHoo said:

I always thought they did not bite at night!

Not the first time either. Caught one last year two days after the season ended. 23", on a blurple sp minnow.

5 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Shrimp, squid, crab, menhadden...it doesn't matter, they'll hold onto it much longer. Procure doesn't have the drawing power of gulp (water vs oil-based), but it makes a big difference in hooking ratio vs. no scent at all. 

Personal preference is shredder crab seems to do the best for me but I don’t use this scents too much. 

I hate to hear your flounder fishing is slow. I'm in NC and it's fair at best. DNR has decided to shut hook and line fishing down for the year in August. Prime time is Sep. and Oct. I guess the stocks are that depleted down hear.

Glad you guys still have your full season to fish it's got to get better.

Makes me laugh...in the beginning of the season the excuses were rampid....."the water's too cold".....really, while that was circulating they were catching doormats in 90 ft. of water off Nantuckett, RI......just ridiculous.

On 7/11/2019 at 2:30 PM, BillHoo said:

I always thought they did not bite at night!

Noooo, fluking is great at night. 

The couple of year I had access to the pier at Earle we killed em at night. Sometimes under the street lights, sometimes in all darkness. 

Saturday SH 5:30-9:00 am, a bit slower than last week, much less bait in the wash. But like most outings, you can always learn a few things: 

1. Kept dropping fish at first. I think the problem was the rod? I was using a medium-powered Falcon Original freshie stick with a moderate action and a soft tip designed for crankbaits (rated 1/4-5/8, but I was throwing a 3/4-ounce bucktail on bottom and a Gulp teaser on top). So either I was underpowered, or fluke can shake off the hook with that type of rod action. Or I suck. Either way, I switched to my 9’ fast action plugging rod and didn’t miss a fish (all shorts) for the rest of the tide, although it was like hunting for mosquitoes with a bazooka. 
    2. Got this one decent-sized fish but the toothy bugger inhaled my Gulp teaser and got gut-hooked so I had to cut the dropper loop, and of course it was the only fluke rig I had with me. Lesson: tie and bring more hi-lo fluke rigs! Or at least bring some leader material and baitholder hooks so I can tie on site when needed.
    3. Lastly, as I noted in my last post, I’m new to fluking and I can’t believe it took me this long to discover this type of surf fishing (thanks to John Skinner videos). Yeah, most of the fish are small but in the daylight hours of mid-summer, it sure beats getting the skunk looking for bass and blues that almost never show up out front this time of year, at least when and where I fish. 

Tight lines! 

87470D4A-CA08-40D5-9FB5-FD4FCBC64E3E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Danny1199 said:

Noooo, fluking is great at night. 

The couple of year I had access to the pier at Earle we killed em at night. Sometimes under the street lights, sometimes in all darkness. 

Oooh!   I'll have to go get an application at the MWR.  But I hear they are upping security even for veterans and military retirees.?

4 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Oooh!   I'll have to go get an application at the MWR.  But I hear they are upping security even for veterans and military retirees.?

We got our IDs for 2018 season, and the only thing different was that you were only allowed 1 guest, instead of 3 that it used to be. 

Nothing else seemed to change. 

4 hours ago, Danny1199 said:

We got our IDs for 2018 season, and the only thing different was that you were only allowed 1 guest, instead of 3 that it used to be. 

Nothing else seemed to change. 

So the guests that I can bring..., can that be my brother? Or does it have to be a quote direct relative unquote, like a spouse or dependent child?

That's the way it seems to be written in the Commander's letter that I found online. My brother was the one who notified me about all the great fishing that he's heard over at Earle.  Says that when he and his friends try to boat near there they get chased Away by security.