Fadetoblack188

Bang for buck 10wt

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Heading up to salmon river in September.  Looking for my best bang for my buck 10 at fly rod.  

I don’t want to spend more then 350 on a rod. What do you guys recommend?

Lamiglas is the most underrated company by far in the fly fishing world

And just go with a two piece, you'll save money right there. I've never understood why fly fisherman love 10 piece rods (facetious) while everyone else prefers one or at least as few as possible. (not counting the guys who travel by air a lot with their rods, that I get)

Ditto the St. Croix :Legend Elite 9' 4 Piece 10 weight rod. is in the price range.  A Bass Pro HEAT, 1 piece 7' 10' will do it for $129.00  

The short stick can throw the line with 2  back casts very well indeed!

Sept. is early for steelhead, so you can fish heavier tippets low on the river, say 15 lb.  As it gets later in Sept.  and farther up the river, salmon  get line shy and going down to 10 lb. helps.  I've never used a 10, have landed kings  over 30 with a 9.  Over 20 with an 8.  Lots of places have no room to back cast, and even if you do, you'll be making short casts with weight.  A rod that isn't real stiff  will prevent break-offs and  roll cast well.  If you're just ripping lead with the largest hook possible (lifting, snagging, completely illegal)  a stiff 10 will do the job , but so will a Shakespeare Wonder Rod loaded up with 50 lb. braid.  Orvis Clearwater isn't bad, great for the money.  A 10' rod is a help with rolls, mends and controlling drifts- as that's what you'll be doing.  I single hand spey a lot and swing flies, but that's  not common during silly season- more likely you'll be around people and fishing a small part of a run. A TFO BVK isn't bad either, a little more than  300 and change.  I have a 10'  8 wt. BVK  I use for salmon and steel, it's done fine.  A 10' 9 wt. would be ideal for crowded conditions.  A reel with a good drag , too.  The lake has been on fire this year, the run should be good.  A tip to the wise- coho are edible, kings are best left to complete their journey into fish zombies and river mulch. 

I believe orvis still has a deal where you bring in an old, but functional rod and you can get 20% off a rod like the recon which would be in your price range.

On 6/18/2019 at 8:50 PM, snapper1 said:

Redington Predator.

I've been fishing the seven weight all spring. Big blues some nice bass bang'n rod. 

Sudsy....two piece are still around but not in the rod you may want. My old T&Ts are two piece great co cast all day.  My bud got one piece eight wgt that has that solid flow feeling.

Temple Fork "TFR" 10w - 2 piece.  Best bang for the buck for sure...

For a 4 piece rod, I'd agree with the Redington Predator or Colton Tradewinds XS.