Stephen_b

st croix Mojo surf rods vs ODM DNA

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I am fairly new to surfcasting and am looking to upgrade my rod looking to stay in the $200-$300 range. I have narrowed it down to St Croix Mojo surf rods and ODM DNA. Pros and cons of each? 

37 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I know some folks disagree, but id never suggest a mojo.

Never fished one myself, but I have heard of a ton of people having issues with them. The Mojo seems to have some bad mojo surrounding it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mojo has a five year warranty and has a 70/30 split. Not sure if ODM DNA is a 50/50 or not. The 70/30is a pain to transport for me compared to a 50/50. I have the 11’ er. The company states they have a five week turnaround for warrantying their rods. They offer a 20$ Fed Ex shipping label and you will have to pack and ship rod to them for them to inspect. They do sell replacement tips for their rods and some say that the tips will work on similar length rods with different actions. The mojo have a reel seat that can spin and some have broken their rods for no apparent reason . There is some type of Gold Program where you can trade up if you break your rod. You pay for the program and the. The difference in price between the new rod and the price you paid for the one you purchased. Depreciation is factored in ( don’t recall it being awful or anything). 

Dont know now much about ODM.

What size rod are you considering?

Edited by jeffapeikin

Have fished both, albeit different lengths and purposes.  I've had 2 of the 10' 1-4oz mojos.  Snapped one in a weird way, and the 2nd was a replacement I just sold on here a couple years back.  Fished the 10'6" 3/4-4oz, i believe, for a year or so until I sold it.  It's fine, not great.  Throws between 1-2.5 oz ok.  It's nothing special for the price.  The reel seat clamp spun a bunch and just wasn't too impressed with anything but the warranty.  I have the 9' odm DNA that I use for 1/2-1.5 oz duty.  I'll even toss 2oz with it and it does well. Great rod for the price, IMO.  Light enough and has some backbone.  Also have 10' And 11' odms but of a different model (nex1).  They're great all around rods

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had the Mojo 12’ surf rod.  It’s rated 6 to 16 oz which always seemed ridiculous to me. I was casting 3 oz metals with no issue.  Aside from the oddly rated lure rating I found it to be a really nice crisp rod.  Mine did not snap and I did toss 16 oz once just for goofs.  It was just a lob but it was fine.  I caught 5’ sharks with it with no issues too.  I liked it but I sold it to clear room for more stuff.  I had an ODM 2-5 I believe it was 9’ if I remember right.  I felt like it was too stiff to cast 3 oz lures and although the build was really nice it was not a good plugging rod for me.  Sold that one too lol. 

If if you are chunking I’d switch gears and get an AFAW 6 and bait or 4 and bait.  Great casting rod for chunks and super tough. For plugging 1 to 4 oz I’d get either the black hole east coast special or upgrade a bit to the Century Slingshot, I have the 1505 and can cast 1 oz ok, but it really excels at 3 oz.  I’ve also chunked 4 oz with bait no issues.  It casts like a dream with no effort at all.  I built a Black Hole east coast special with microwave guides. Amazingly smooth, those guides are crazy cool.  Cast 3/4 oz to 4 all well.

anywho just my nickels worth

Edited by Birdsnester

Odm. I’m on my 3rd Odm rod now. Service/warranty is second to none. I had a hiccup last summer with a rod and Steve didn’t even care to hear what happened. I drove to jersey city and picked up a new rod. 

Thank you everyone for all the information I am looking at 

ODM :

10' 2 - 60/40 Split Mod. - Mod. Fast 3/4 - 4 oz.      or   

MOJO 

10' 6'' 2 M Mod. 10 - 20 3/4 - 4

I throw a lot of bucktails and soft plastics on jig heads. so I tend to be on the lighter end of the lure rating most of the time but want enough power to be able to switch over to bigger plugs when needed. I plan on pairing it with my penn SSVI 6500 BLS. 

4 hours ago, Stephen_b said:

Thank you everyone for all the information I am looking at 

ODM :

10' 2 - 60/40 Split Mod. - Mod. Fast 3/4 - 4 oz.      or   

MOJO 

10' 6'' 2 M Mod. 10 - 20 3/4 - 4

I throw a lot of bucktails and soft plastics on jig heads. so I tend to be on the lighter end of the lure rating most of the time but want enough power to be able to switch over to bigger plugs when needed. I plan on pairing it with my penn SSVI 6500 BLS. 

Black Hole East Coast Special fits the bill.  The 12’ is rated 3/4 to 4 oz and casts great.  

17 hours ago, ATH1089 said:

Never fished one myself, but I have heard of a ton of people having issues with them. The Mojo seems to have some bad mojo surrounding it.

So weird, I've had mine for 3 seasons now with plenty of good sized fish on it with no problems. This including a large, foul hooked striper that was pulling with the current. I wonder if there was a certain batch that just sucks.

I have the 10' DNA and it's an amazing rod for the money. Plenty of backbone for big fish but still fun with schoolies. Very impressed so far but the warranty isn't as good as St. Croix. Hopefully I won't need it.